JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which bottleneck cartridge?

• .25 NAA (The mouse that roared.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .32 NAA (The mouse that farted?)

• 5.7×28㎜ FN (Who you calling Euro-Trash?)

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • 7.5 FK (Bien, a vivir a lo grande, amigos.)

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • 7.63×25㎜ Mauser (Kicking it old school; pimp'n ain't easy in Oberndorf)

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • 7.62×25㎜ Tokarev (For Mother Russia! Ivan Danko still thinks the Podbyrin 9.2㎜ is more powerful.)

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • 8×22㎜ Nambu (Bonsai!)

• .357 Sig (So 90s you can smell the cheesiness.)

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Some wildcat. (A cartridge, not a crazy friend.)

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Other, random noise, or something else.

Votes: 4 7.5%

• Total voters
I had to vote other, I figured someone needed to bring up the .223/5.56, and I didn't see anything in the rules about this just being handguns :p. About the only "pistol" bottle neck I've played with was the .221 Fireball in a box stock XP-100 about 5 decades ago :eek:. Didn't keep it long, couldn't afford to shoot it or do anything to achieve it's potential, but I don't remember being impressed by either the cartridge or the platform.

The .223, on the other hand, has become one of my all time favorite cartridges. I currently own 2, a bolt action Savage and a Ruger Mini 14, and between them, they cover all my needs for this cartridge. Did the AR thing, fun but just not my cup of tea. And before the haters start in on how lousy the Mini 14 is, my shooting partner and I were whacking a rock the size of a 5 gallon bucket at a lasered 390 yards last week. And that's with a red dot sight, gents. And when I say whacking, I'm not talking random lucky hits, I got it on my first shot, then kept hitting it through the whole 10 round mag, told my partner my holdover, and he proceeded to do the same. Ammo was MagTech 62 gr. FMJ, rifle's been tweaked a little, UltiMAK rail, extra power recoil spring, and smaller gas port bushing. And it's in a Choate folding stock. It's a 181 series, 1979 vintage, this one's a definite keeper. So how's that for random noise :cool:?

Dave

The thread is in the semi-automatic pistols section for a reason. :p
I missed that completely.

Pistol bottle neck huh?

17-357!

Don't ask!

I missed that completely.

Pistol bottle neck huh?

17-357!

Don't ask!

Oh my ... yah that looks interesting. :D

There is an interesting, if somewhat grisly, historical reference to the efficacy of 7.63×25㎜ Mauser contained in Shooting to Live With the One-Hand Gun (1942),* by. Capt. W.E. Fairbairn and Capt. E. A. Sykes:

"Turning now to the high velocity small calibre weapons, we have seen terrible damage caused by a Mauser automatic, calibre 7.63㎜., of military pattern. We have in mind the case of a man who was hit in the arm by a solid full-jacketed bullet from a weapon of this type. Though he was in hospital within half an hour of being shot, nothing could be done to avoid amputation, so badly were the bone and tissue lacerated. Perhaps "pulped" would convey our meaning more exactly."​
* This text:

histórico1.jpg

Ditto on the Tokarev. Though the pistol I had in said (Yugoslavian M57) was pile of goat plop, that I eventually dumped, I really liked the 7.62×25㎜ Tokarev cartridge. It would be neat-o if a modern-ish pistol, like a CZ-75 or Glock for example, could be had in said.

Speaking of the CZ-75, I wonder if they ever made them in .357 Sig? I'll have to look into it out of curiosity.

If you're interested in the 7.62x25 cartridge, I would recommend to buy the Polish TT33 or Romanian. Both have better fit, finish and machining. I got rid of my Norinco and M57 due to noticeable lack of quality. Reliability wasn't great either in both. I shot lots of various surplus and good quality handloads in all of these and accuracy / reliability was superior in the Polish and the Romanian TT33. I still have three TT33 pistols. Some of the best loads that I came up with aren't in any of my manuals.

Last Edited:
An acquaintance of mine had the Romanian version and thought it was the cats pajamas. It sort of seems like the surplus stuff has dried up, but I haven't looked real hard either.

I voted 357 Sig, because it made the comp work best in my IPSC gun...back it the '90's. I've no ides why it never really caught on.

The only other bottleneck handgun round I experienced, (and it was a heck of a learning experience), was a 17-44 that a local gunsmith talked me into back when I was young and stupid. It took 5 sizing steps, with annealing, and trimming between each, to get it necked down, and then the fireforming at the end. Worst part was; I never got more than 3 firings, and the neck would split. It also ate barrel throats out pretty quick. It was FAST though!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top