JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which bottleneck cartridge?

• .25 NAA (The mouse that roared.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .32 NAA (The mouse that farted?)

• 5.7×28㎜ FN (Who you calling Euro-Trash?)

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • 7.5 FK (Bien, a vivir a lo grande, amigos.)

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • 7.63×25㎜ Mauser (Kicking it old school; pimp'n ain't easy in Oberndorf)

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • 7.62×25㎜ Tokarev (For Mother Russia! Ivan Danko still thinks the Podbyrin 9.2㎜ is more powerful.)

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • 8×22㎜ Nambu (Bonsai!)

• .357 Sig (So 90s you can smell the cheesiness.)

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Some wildcat. (A cartridge, not a crazy friend.)

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Other, random noise, or something else.

Votes: 4 7.5%

• Total voters
As the batscat long work day is over at the present, and my wife and children are out my hair for a brief moment, pondering wacky adventures before I escape stealthy to light up a nice cigar. I find myself musing about running something bottlenecked automatic. I did for a short while with the 7.62㎜ Tokarev. Very interesting cartridge; a pile of goat excrement platform (Yugo M57).

Which brings us to the conversation and vote: which one do you find interesting enough to bother with? Enjoy!

I call foul.

Incomplete Survey (Paragraph Seven, Subsection d clearly prohibits this.)

No mention of the .40-50 Sharps Bottleneck.

Fer cryin' out loud! 'Least its got the actual word in its name.

Anybody still lookin' for Paragraph Seven?

Okay. My protest effort was short-lived.
I voted for the Broomhandle/Luger food. The only Luger I ever owned was not a 9mm. The only Broomhandle I ever owned was not a 9mm.

The Luger shot like a High Standard .22.

The Broomhandle was just so cool to snap the gun out of the wooden holster, detach the holster and assemble a carbine, get the whole magazine to target
inside of 30 seconds.

I miss those guns so much...

Which brings us to the conversation and vote: which one do you find interesting enough to bother with? Enjoy!
How about the illegitimate child of an orphan? Evan Whildin, who brought the rebated rim .41 Action Express to its short life, also necked that cartridge back down to 9mm. So, the 9MM Action Express was the .357 Sig of the 80s. It's like sasquatch (or the Artesians): heard of them, but never seen one.

Last Edited:
If it was me, a little 17 or 20 cal. Some weird unique little cartridges out there that would be fun to tinker with.

IF I could change my vote (no Paragraph cited here), it'd be for the 357 SIG

On the "90's Cheesy" note, I have actually stepped down from total Luddite and recently acquired a SIG P229 Equinox. Came in .40 and I bought the .357 barrel before I bought a holster.

Have shot 100 rounds of quality factory stuff, and have shot 200 rounds of my handloads out of the gun bought "As New" from the first owner.

It is a very impressive cartridge that struck me as a stupendous meld of sheer power and accuracy. I intend now to practice with it to 75 yards and hunt deer/antelope with it. This gun and this cartridge seemed to have skipped over "Combat Accuracy". Rather, It is a Shootist's Instrument.

I had no background with this cartridge until a friend (in the Cheezy '90's) got employed as a Sky Marshal.

SIG .357 was HIS gun. Mentioned something to me about a SuperVel equivalent (with respect to cabin airlock).

So, when this gun was offered for sale to me, I went in blind and "racing boldly into the future" for Cheezy 90's stuff.

Old Dogs Learn Sometimes.

I had no background with this cartridge until a friend (in the Cheezy '90's) got employed as a Sky Marshal.

SIG .357 was HIS gun. Mentioned something to me about a SuperVel equivalent (with respect to cabin airlock).

So, when this gun was offered for sale to me, I went in blind and "racing boldly into the future" for Cheezy 90's stuff.

Old Dogs Learn Sometimes.
The thing about "old" guns is that as they age, they can still do what they used to do - unlike the owners. At least you can get 357 Sig ammo, brass, etc. I love orphans, so I have a 41 Action Express conversion in a Hi-Power clone. Great idea, slightly better than the 40, can swap 9mm and 41 barrels in a 9mm gun etc etc etc. But S&W killed it with their 40. And now the 40 is in decline. Sheesh.

You said you gravitate toward "Orphans". When I refer to the same affliction usually just say "weird stuff", or "nobuddyelsehaswunnathese".

(I started my conversation here by invoking the .40-50 Sharps Bottleneck cartridge. Something I would not do unless I owned one. THERE's an Orphan.)

I might start using "Orphan". .256 Winchester Magnum comes to mind. (I guess now I have to call it a resident at the "Orphanage").

Lest we forget Marine Col. Melvin M. Johnson, who necked the .30 Carbine to 22 and came up with the 22MMJ/22 Carbine/22 Spitfire. Another great idea that was eclipsed by the 5.56 - which he contributed to! From the Wiki:

"Johnson's patents were used by Armalite on the AR-10, AR-15, and later M16 rifles. Johnson was hired by Armalite as a consultant to promote their rifle incorporating his bolt design.[2] Later, Johnson worked to improve the M1 carbine eventually developing the 5.7mm Spitfire cartridge in 1963 and starting Johnson Arms, Inc. The M1 Carbine can be converted to use 5.7mm Spitfire by replacing the barrel with modification of the feed ramp."

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 11.47.49 PM.png

Same here. A PPSh-41 or similar PPS series weapon to go with it would be super cool.
You were reading my mind.

.458 SOCOM is technically a bottleneck pistol bullet. Haha, a machine pistol in .458 would be frigging awesome, like CZ vz 61 scorpion-sized. You'd have to put a strap on the fore end like a Mossy shockwave, lol.

Lest we forget Marine Col. Melvin M. Johnson, who necked the .30 Carbine to 22 and came up with the 22MMJ/22 Carbine/22 Spitfire. Another great idea that was eclipsed by the 5.56 - which he contributed to! From the Wiki:

"Johnson's patents were used by Armalite on the AR-10, AR-15, and later M16 rifles. Johnson was hired by Armalite as a consultant to promote their rifle incorporating his bolt design.[2] Later, Johnson worked to improve the M1 carbine eventually developing the 5.7mm Spitfire cartridge in 1963 and starting Johnson Arms, Inc. The M1 Carbine can be converted to use 5.7mm Spitfire by replacing the barrel with modification of the feed ramp."

View attachment 715286
But who would ever admit to having a 5.7mm johnson? :s0140:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top