JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just stumbled across this announcement, and thought I'd share. It's a good reason to spend a weekend sampling wines in the heart of Washington wine country and hopefully getting some good preparedness info/training. This is their first such expo, so who knows what to expect. But if it's awful, there's always the wine.

Northwest Preparedness Expo - 2014
http://www.nwpreparednessexpo.com

The Chamber of Commerce of the City of Prosser and Lower Valley Committee of Safety are working together to create our first annual Northwest Preparedness Expo. It will be hosted on May 2nd & 3rd at the Walter Clore Center in Prosser, Washington. There will be both educational speaker sessions and vendor booths on display.

Our goal is twofold: educate our local community of the value of preparation and to build camaraderie within our community. We wish, not just to reach 'preppers,' but to effect change in our community for those who are unknowledgeable of the worth of being prepared. We aim to help prepare individuals for any personal misfortune, natural disaster, or breakdown in social and/or economic structure. In time, we hope to build on this; if one is prepared himself, then he is one step closer to being prepared to help others. We hope to regain a sense of local responsibility and preparation in the event of any situation that might overwhelm our community's safety & well-being. That paints a broad portrait of our ultimate goal.

For this year's expo, in particular, we have chosen five areas of focus. They are as follows; safety, shelter, skills, supplies (gear & tools), and sustenance. For our first event, our primary focus is on exposing people to the benefits of being prepared; starting with a "72 hour plan," while also offering information and resources that may be helpful to those that are preparing for longer term situations. We wish to invite speakers and vendors (and we encourage vendors as speakers) who are skilled in these five areas.

Ultimately, our objective is to create an annual event that will grow in scope and size - with each successive year building upon the previous year's skills and goals. We wish to educate and encourage our local region to cultivate a sense of responsibility, community, and connection.
Walter Clore Wine & Culinary Center
2140 Wine Country Road Prosser, WA 99350

Contact
[email protected]
Prosser Chamber of Commerce
(509) 786-3177

About
Friday, May 2nd 10am-6pm
Saturday, May 3rd 9am-6pm

Admission
$10/person includes both days -- outdated price
Kids 12 and under are free.

Last Edited:
will mark it on the cal. where is prosser,Wa.???

It's about 20-30 minutes west of the Tri-Cities on I-82 or 45 minutes east of Yakima on I-82. About 45 minutes from Hermiston, OR as well, also on I-82. The event location appears to be right at Exit 82 of I-82.

If you were going to attend from the Portland area, it would probably be about a three hour trip. You'd take I-84 to Biggs Junction, Hwy 97 north to Toppenish, and then probably Hwy 22 to Prosser. From what I remember from wine tasting expeditions in the area, Hwy 22 ends right across the street from the Walter Clore Center and Desert Wind Winery.

Last Edited:
Due to all the "In my mind they are already Americans" located in that area there is some good Mex food as well. I usually steer clear of such FB Eye magnets but it might make a good weekend for wife #8, 7, 6 and 5!

A schedule of the talks has now been posted.

Schedule
Subject to Change
Friday May 2nd

11:00 am
Main building: Women's Concealed Carry and Self Defense - Sara Barron
Pavilion:

1:00pm
Main Building: Prepper Communications 101 - John Jacob Schmidt
Pavilion: The Benefits of Going Solar - Jonathan Lewis

2:30pm
Main Building: Preparedness 101 - Patrice Lewis
Pavilion: IZZY, SWAT, SAM and Friends - David Pruett

4:00pm
Main Building: Historical Committees of Safety: What they were back then and why they are needed again - Shahram Hadian
Pavilion: Home Security - Robert Margulies

Saturday May 3rd

9:30am
Main Building: Women's Concealed Carry and Self Defense - Sara Barron
Pavilion: Family Communications Plan- Clay Jackson

11:00 am
Main Building: Restoring our Republic - Shahram Hadian
Pavilion: Trauma First Aid - Robert Margulies

1:00pm
Main Building: Prepper Communications 201 - John Jacob Schmidt
Pavilion: Preparedness 101 - Patrice Lewis

2:00pm