JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How valuable is a brick? You know, the kind made with concrete and embeded in the ground? I suppose it's more valuable if it has numbers and an arrow painted on it.

Well, apparently, someone thinks they are valuable. Only 2 bricks remain at lane 2. PUNKS!

So let us know if you happen to notice a brick with a number and an arrow on it in someones yard. I'd like to go kick some tail! :mad:
Man that sucks. Some people don't have any damn respect.

It's hard to say if they were stolen or shot at.

The 25 yard marker I almost missed as it was covered with mud.

We will get it figured out. The markers were a great, just need to get on the drawing book for a longer lasting version.

Well, that didn't take long. I'm making up drawing for version 2 now. A somewhat larger hole to imbed a 60lb trapezoidal block, with the small face up. Should be cheap to make, at a single bag of concrete each. Hopefully they'll take more force to get out of the ground than your average jerk is willing to muster. I'll run some sketches by you and @Reno911 to get the blessing from the powers that be before I build a casting form.
Today was the first time I was able to see them and the two that remain look awesome, really could have used the 10 yard marker. I really do hope we can find something that works, it's a great idea.

It's hard to say if they were stolen or shot at.

The 25 yard marker I almost missed as it was covered with mud.

We will get it figured out. The markers were a great, just need to get on the drawing book for a longer lasting version.
Drill to bedrock and pour a slab of concrete up to 6 inches below the surface, then make custom molds at the distances that are held in place above the still wet concrete and pour the markers on top so it ends up as one solid slab of concrete, then fill in dirt until only the markers show and paint 'em. It would take a dang long time to cure completely but they wouldn't be getting those markers!

A vandal proof design might include a post hole, concrete and an embedded plate.
We use this basic concept for weld plates in concrete construction.
The first pic shows a plate with Nelson studs. You would only need one or two studs.
The yardage would be laser-cut into the plate.
embed-plate.jpg

Plate with rebar studs
baseplate.jpg

A Miscellaneous Iron fabricator might do the plates for a reduced cost and there are one or two laser cutters on this site, IIRC.

Last Edited:
All this concrete pouring and digging is becoming rather involved. And to think of future re-grading or gravel removal, this could create a lot of extra work. Gotta go back to simple, low cost and easy to replace

I'm liking the Whiskers. Nail them in. Not a big project and 1 person can put them in in no time. Done. Easy to replace and inexpensive.

Whiskers at BKS Sportsman's Club.jpg

Whisker.jpg

All this concrete pouring and digging is becoming rather involved. And to think of future re-grading or gravel removal, this could create a lot of extra work. Gotta go back to simple, low cost and easy to replace

I'm liking the Whiskers. Nail them in. Not a big project and 1 person can put them in in no time. Done. Easy to replace and inexpensive.

That would work and would not attract vandals.
There is a 2x2x8" wood stake that goes with those.
You drive the wood stake flush with a 4 pounder and then the wisker is nailed onto the stake.
You don't actually use a nail, the whisker frame has a built-in provision.

And we can not tell new people at future clean-ups about them and watch how many try to pull them out :D But seriously, that's a great idea and would hold up to the occasional random 'friendly fire'.

I have a couple cases of those if you need some.

E

Ha! I just ordered 75 last night in assorted colors! Bummer. It was only $20 so no big deal. However, I didn't order any nails or stakes. Do you have those?

Thanks.

Ha! I just ordered 75 last night in assorted colors! Bummer. It was only $20 so no big deal. However, I didn't order any nails or stakes. Do you have those?

Thanks.
You won't need any nails.
I'll check here on the jobsite to see if there are any around.
Surveyors and sometimes "dirt" guys will have them.
They are called "hub" stakes.
How many are needed ?

You won't need any nails.
I'll check here on the jobsite to see if there are any around.
Surveyors and sometimes "dirt" guys will have them.
They are called "hub" stakes.
How many are needed ?
If we mark every 10 yards and 2 flags per mark (1 on each side of the lane), we would need about 6-8 for lane 2 and 12-14 for lane 3.

I would think alternating the color each 10 yards would help when counting.

If we mark every 10 yards and 2 flags per mark (1 on each side of the lane), we would need about 6-8 for lane 2 and 12-14 for lane 3.

I would think alternating the color each 10 yards would help when counting.
I don't have any here.
My excavator says that Shurway in Vancouver has them 25/$13.99
At 2x2x12 they will probably have to be cut down.

Or a guy could just make them on a chop saw out of 2x2 material
Do a 4 way tip for best driving results

I don't have any here.
My excavator says that Shurway in Vancouver has them 25/$13.99
At 2x2x12 they will probably have to be cut down.

Or a guy could just make them on a chop saw out of 2x2 material
Do a 4 way tip for best driving results

If you use a steel concrete stake to "pre drill" the hole, you can get a 12" grade hub to go. Another option instead of a wood hub is a 60d/60 penny nail.

E

If you use a steel concrete stake to "pre drill" the hole, you can get a 12" grade hub to go. Another option instead of a wood hub is a 60d/60 penny nail.

E
Yes, use a steel stake (or rebar) to pilot hole for the wood hub stake.
But don't try to drive a 12 incher....the top will be mashed by the time it flushes out.
You need the top to be undamaged so the keeper on the whisker can get good purchase as designed.
And don't use a toy hammer....use a 3 or 4 pounder for best results.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top