JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes, use a steel stake (or rebar) to pilot hole for the wood hub stake.
But don't try to drive a 12 incher....the top will be mashed by the time it flushes out.
You need the top to be undamaged so the keeper on the whisker can get good purchase as designed.

DD I spent the first 8 years of my career setting blue tops. Thousands of them. Literally. :D It's a skill set. I could get a 12" set just fine at the lanes. I'd even do a 18" just to show off.

E

Yep, like the other guys said, Matt, legal targets and your own stand is okay but take it home when done.

I might add, clean up is required so be sure to take a couple trash bags and leave it cleaner than when you got there.

Have a great time! You're going to love those lanes!

Thanks! Planning on taking a tarp so my buddy and I can make for easy cleanup of the brass.

Do I need any Forestry passes or anything? I can't tell if I need fire suppressants outside of fire season, but I'll probably pick up an extinguisher to keep in the car full time anyways...

You got it! Extinguisher required in the fire season, but good to have year round.

No recreation permit needed on Oregon State Lands, unless you're doing off road trails.

Tarp is perfect. Easy!

Looking forward to getting out tomorrow! Built this over the last couple of days 20190201_182252.jpg

Looking forward to getting out tomorrow! Built this over the last couple of daysView attachment 544126
It looks a little too tall and your rounds may go over the berm. The berms are about 8 ft high, so that would put your angle upward from the shooting line.

It looks like it would be easy to lower. Try it as is and then think about a modification if needed. Construction looks good.

It looks a little too tall and your rounds may go over the berm. The berms are about 8 ft high, so that would put your angle upward from the shooting line.

It looks like it would be easy to lower. Try it as is and then think about a modification if needed. Construction looks good.

6 feet tall, puts the center of the target at somewhere around 5'6". Headed to the garage soon, I'll double check

Nice! We just gotta be aware about where our bullets are going after the target. If it heads off into the hillside, it could potentially create a fire concern when hitting the brush and debris on the hill. That has also been a concern when people put their targets on TOP of the berm, instead of IN FRONT of the berm. The idea of a berm is to stop the bullet within the range, not in the natural hillside.

To be "Environmentally Correct", (a term I'm not very fond of), we need to be mindful of where our bullets are going. It shows 'the other side' that we are concerned and value this privilege of shooting on public lands.

Thanks for your help in shooting responsibly! All of us appreciate it!

Found the ~200 yard spot today through some google-fu and old posts... is that where you guys are hoping to expand to? It seems like a great little hill side for it.

Anyway, got a lot of ladder tests done for .223, .308, and 300blk, my first cast subsonic loads for the 300 worked great too.

Ended up only using the bottom 3 feet since we were in Lane 4 (good and busy this morning!), and I didn't like the idea of shooting over the short berm on the right.

Didn't test the stapler I had beforehand, so this ended up waaay more Bubba'd than intended.

View attachment 544535
Yeah, that lane 4 has really fallen down. We're currently in a fundraiser mode to rebuild it like lane 3. We plan to have it done this coming summer. Wolf Creek Fundraiser

Glad you found a lane open!

Bill

I made my own target stands as well and they work pretty good. The 2x4 base is plenty heavy enough that it holds the 1x2 uprights even in moderate wind. I put a pair of small wood blocks at the mid point that have a slot cut so the bottom of the cardboard rests and is held by that. I use to use blue painter's tape for the top of the target but I made a bunch of PVC clamps out of 3" PVC pipe that really work well. If you google PVC clamps you will see what I mean. You only need them about 3/8ths to 1/2" thick and they have more than enough clamping power. I only use tape now to put my targets on the cardboard backing that I clamp to the uprights.

I also screwed a bunch of the black bull nose clamps (the large black binder type clamps we use in the office) down the sides and I use them to put paper plates with the stick on round targets so I have lots of targets to shoot and don't have to change them very often.

Mike

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top