JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Meet Randy from forestry department while shooting today with my daughter. He was up checking for use at the new range and for trash and we talked for a while.
I was very encouraged by his thoughts and support towards the range. He asked about how we liked it and if we had any questions. Said they are planning more like it in the future and also specifically mentioned NWFA as a key resource to him.
It is a grade A facility and I was supper impressed by it. Felt really good to have a safe and settled place to take my girl for the afternoon.
Randy gave us a trash bag but we had a hard time finding enough trash to fill it up even half way! That is good news people are keeping it clean.
Looking forward to going back real soon.
Elkfish
Good to hear, elkfish! We'll have a good opportunity to hear from and chat with Randy at the cleanup event Aug 27th. If you haven't signed up to be there, you should! Total fun! See the thread at: Cleanup and Celebration at North Fork Wolf Creek Shooting Lanes! - Aug 27 2016

Hope you and your girl can be there! Good deeds, free raffle prizes and lunch are on us!

Cogs

I was up at range #3 this morning at about 7am. Things looked good up there. Some a-hole put what looks like a few cans of tomato paste on the lane and blew them to hell, but other than that I managed to pick up even less trash than I did last weekend.

I was up at range #3 this morning at about 7am. Things looked good up there. Some a-hole put what looks like a few cans of tomato paste on the lane and blew them to hell, but other than that I managed to pick up even less trash than I did last weekend.
thanks, I'm hoping we will outnumber the litterers in the long run. at least tomato paste is biodegradable unlike the paint cans that were in lane 2 that I cleaned up :)

I managed to (hopefully) work out all the bugs on my AR. I put a new 15" hand guard on last week, and when I did I failed to seat the gas block properly. As such- no cycling of the action. Tore it all down, seated it properly, and now it's functioning perfectly. Got her all dialed in for next week's Appleseed in Waitsburg, WA.
kasr7bz.jpg
Appleseeders will know what this photo is all about: eight shots with perfect breathing and NPOA, and two shots that were forced! This was done at 25m in prone with sling support.
Yv13gJS.jpg
I also decided to shoot an AQT while I was up there. I beat my record score by ONE POINT. Got a 238 out of 250. Too bad it's not official, but for me, I'm still counting it!

I suppose if I were using the .30 caliber rule, target 1 on stage 4 could be counted as a 9 instead of an 8, but I'd rather see that hole break the line for real!

Last Edited:
Went up to the range today. What an awesome setup! Was at range 4 for about 3 hours this morning. Got my RPR dialed-in(mostly). Still need to work on dialing-in the iron sights on my new AR-15. Great day though. Can't wait to head back!

Just an FYI. I contacted the local fire department and passed on the range info so they can notify EMS in the area of the location. Vernonia, Banks, metro west and C-com will be notified so they can plan access and response. I don't know if has already been done but seemed like a good idea, stuff happens. o_O
Stay safe out there.
Elkfish.

Just an FYI. I contacted the local fire department and passed on the range info so they can notify EMS in the area of the location. Vernonia, Banks, metro west and C-com will be notified so they can plan access and response. I don't know if has already been done but seemed like a good idea, stuff happens. o_O
Stay safe out there.
Elkfish.
Dude, great thinking. Can't believe this wasn't addressed sooner. Seriously, you might have saved someone's life in the future.

Heading out there today to see whats what, taking a few trash bags, that hopefully wont be needed, but will gladly be used if need be. Im assuming the road out there is fine for 2wd?

I police my area when I shoot outdoors. I don't reload but have accumulated some brass. 1) who buys it or 2) where can I get it reloaded cheaper than buying factory ammo? I have given some away in the past.

Made it out there with a buddy today. Shot at range 3. Very happy with how nicely the area is setup. It was pretty clean when we got there, i only left with about a half a trash bag full of cans and bottles. I did however leave with a gallon ziplock almost full of brass, a lot of it was ours but there where a couple hundred .223 cases laying around. I do reload so they will be put to use.

Made it out there with a buddy today. Shot at range 3. Very happy with how nicely the area is setup. It was pretty clean when we got there, i only left with about a half a trash bag full of cans and bottles. I did however leave with a gallon ziplock almost full of brass, a lot of it was ours but there where a couple hundred .223 cases laying around. I do reload so they will be put to use.
I was up at lane four this morning, and drove past three 20-somethings that set up nearly 40 wine bottles on the handgun berm to shoot. I stopped and talked them out of it. Hopefully they didn't leave you much to clean.

I was up at lane four this morning, and drove past three 20-somethings that set up nearly 40 wine bottles on the handgun berm to shoot. I stopped and talked them out of it. Hopefully they didn't leave you much to clean.
The trashcan was nearly half full of glass bottles. There was still some glass down range, but they actually did a decent job of cleaning up the glass.

I'm going to make a Northwest Firearms banner to put up so people from here know I'm friendly, and it's totally cool to stop by and chat. Everyone that drove up to lane four turned right around and left.

I'm going to make a Northwest Firearms banner to put up so people from here know I'm friendly, and it's totally cool to stop by and chat. Everyone that drove up to lane four turned right around and left.
I came up there and turned around probably around 2:00pm. If that was still you guys up there, you looked very well setup. How longs the rifle lane on that range?

Good job guys. that's the way to get rid of the litterers. Just outnumber them with good people who actually understand the concept of respect

Good to see people taking ownership in this place. Other forestry agencies will be watching OSF's reports and should be impressed with how it's being cared for. And all care & maintenance done by recreational shooters! That should be an encouragement for them to build the same thing in their forests. Without our involvement in the beginning planning stages, however, the shooters sense of ownership may not be there like it is with these lanes.

If they build it, we will come!

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top