JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was looking at van conversion that John does when you go to his website. Pretty neat.
I did see it, but it's on his FB page (QuadVan 4x4 conversion vans), not the website. Pretty cool work he's doing! Nation wide too!

John McKee is the one who donated the $600 to help cover the graffiti blok and put us over the top of our fundraiser goal. He is interested in perhaps helping our mission again in the future. He and his wife came to the cleanup and worked their buns off. He also mentioned he has employment opportunities at Northwest QuadVan.

Gee, I forgot to mention, the photographer was Tod Kelso (not sure if he's a member on NWFA, but is at TNL). He had some nice equipment! I should have taken a picture of him. The photographer never gets a pic of himself doing his work! And he worked at it the whole time! Good guy. Glad to have his help!

While I'm very pleased with the turn out and the work accomplished, that photo of all those TV tubes pulled from the hillside across lane 4 both saddens and enrages me!! :mad:

View attachment 854887
One positive of that is the old CRT TVs have been leaving the scene for quite a few years now. In the future the pigs will be dumping the much easer to hoist flat panel LCD TVs. And then the even lighter LED models! That just means the kids will have it easier than us older folks, again.

One positive of that is the old CRT TVs have been leaving the scene for quite a few years now. In the future the pigs will be dumping the much easer to hoist flat panel LCD TVs. And then the even lighter LED models! That just means the kids will have it easier than us older folks, again.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that! It's both funny and sad!

How 'bout this... 😄 & ☹️

Missed you Mike! Will catch up later this year!

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that! It's both funny and sad!

How 'bout this... 😄 & ☹️

Missed you Mike! Will catch up later this year!

1617630419994.png

Seems to be a lot of this these days.

As for the Wolf Creek Rd cleanup part...

I left the lanes at 2 PM but didn't get to Hwy 26 until 4 PM. I stopped at lane 1, where some shooters said they'd clean it up, and saw some targets still there and not the kind of cleanup the rest of us were doing, so, I grabbed a trash bag and did some work there (way up on the hill and got lots of trash from there).

Then proceeded down Wolf Creek Rd where I stopped at every piece of trash I saw. In and out of the truck every few feet for 2 hours! Seems like every time I stopped to get an empty bag of chips or a soda can, I discovered a bunch more trash off the edge. It was exhausting!

At one point, I saw a large plastic storage bin, with no top on it, in a swamp runoff area next to the road. I saw there were a lot of leaves inside, so, I figured I'd just dump it over and get the plastic container out of there. As I did, a huge pile of rotted carcass came out. It was Bear hair and skin (black coarse hair). I almost threw-up from the smell! Man, I wanted to leave that container out there, but just couldn't see doing that, so, into the pickup bed it went. I must have stunk up the whole freeway from the lanes to Washougal Washington! A hound dog could easily track me down all the way home!

So now it sits in my driveway, stinking up the whole neighborhood. I'm pretending I know nothing. It's just the container without any of the carcass, but it has the odor embedded into the plastic. Tomorrow evening, I'll sluff it into our community dumpster, because trash pick up happens on Monday morning. It'll be gone then.

So, that's how the road got cleaned up. My story and I'm stickin to it! :D
Your garbage can will stink for eternity

Next event will be the Safety Project Phase I on April 18th. That's a Sunday. We have all the plants we need and are ready to roll. The only thing we still need are the wood chips! That's an important part of plant survival for this summer because the chips help hold moisture longer than just dirt.

Anyone can pick up a load of chips and drop it behind the rocks at lane 3 when ever you can before the 18th. We'd like to have 3 to 4 pickup truck loads of wood chips. If fact, Saturday the 17th would be a good day to drop a load because we'll be working with the tractor there and the rocks will be moved.

I'm still planning on camping Saturday night at the site and would enjoy some company. Let me know.

Here's where we stand at this point:

The 200 Bare Root Doug firs are currently in a chip trench. The trench will help retain moisture and keep them in good shape until we plant. In the pics, you can see some Western Red Cedars, Doug Firs, Swordferns and lots of Salmonberry. We also have a donation of an 8 foot Western Red Cedar from my landscape guy!

Plants Ready 1.jpg Plants Ready 2.jpg Plants Ready 3.jpg

We've raised $1750 so far, which more than covers all expenses for Phase I (Phase II planting will be in the fall and we'll raise more for that). A volunteer is donating his tractor and he will be the operator. We are renting a truck and trailer for him to haul his tractor up there (small tractor with front bucket and backhoe). We are also planning to have him scoop up the gravel at lane 3 and pile it back up on the berms.

The ground tilling work will happen on April 17th and volunteers will arrive on the 18th to plant. I will be there both days from morning till end.

Last Edited:
Next event will be the Safety Project Phase I on April 18th. That's a Sunday. We have all the plants we need and are ready to roll. The only thing we still need are the wood chips! That's an important part of plant survival for this summer because the chips help hold moisture longer than just dirt.

Anyone can pick up a load of chips and drop it behind the rocks at lane 3 when ever you can before the 18th. We'd like to have 3 to 4 pickup truck loads of wood chips. If fact, Saturday the 17th would be a good day to drop a load because we'll be working with the tractor there and the rocks will be moved.

I'm still planning on camping Saturday night at the site and would enjoy some company. Let me know.

Here's where we stand at this point:

The 200 Bare Root Doug firs are currently in a chip trench. The trench will help retain moisture and keep them in good shape until we plant. In the pics, you can see some Western Red Cedars, Doug Firs, Swordferns and lots of Salmonberry. We also have a donation of an 8 foot Western Red Cedar from my landscape guy!

View attachment 857296 View attachment 857297 View attachment 857298

We've raised $1750 so far, which more than covers all expenses for Phase I (Phase II planting will be in the fall and we'll raise more for that). A volunteer is donating his tractor and he will be the operator. We are renting a truck and trailer for him to haul his tractor up there (small tractor with front bucket and backhoe). We are also planning to have him scoop up the gravel at lane 3 and pile it back up on the berms.

The ground tilling work will happen on April 17th and volunteers will arrive on the 18th to plant. I will be there both days from morning till end.
FYI - that chip drop I ordered still hasn't materialized.

Which... surprises me, honestly!

I'll update y'all as soon as that changes.

FYI - that chip drop I ordered still hasn't materialized.

Which... surprises me, honestly!

I'll update y'all as soon as that changes.
Please keep me in the loop on this. Unfortunately I don't have a pick-up to dump wood chips in to take to the lanes, but I've got plenty of large trash bags, a shovel, and a Subaru Outback I can fill up with bags full of chips to take out to the lanes.

I'll haul chips out there if I can get chips. I ordered a chip dump bit hasnt come...otherwise I'll have to go get a load from somewhere. again, if someone wants to borrow my trailer they can if they have time to get chips

Lanes 2 & 3 are gravel over clay dirt and spike nails will work fine. Lanes 1 & 4 are still clay dirt. You may not need any anchor system, depending on the balance of the stands. Metal stands should be good without anchoring them down, but take some long nail spikes just in case. Sometimes I'll just use a couple of rocks to help hold it down.

Last week before the planting of the safety project and a couple things yet to do.

A guy in the Washougal area donated a 330 gallon water tank, so I'll bring it. He doesn't want it back so, it will be for TNL use as needed. As we plant, we'll be able to fill buckets and water the plants. (Pic is example, and not the actual tank but same thing).

250 gal.jpg

This means I loose a 4x4 space in my truck, so, I'm looking for a utility trailer to haul plants in. I would need to have a trailer ready to leave early Saturday morning, so that means I'd have to get the trailer some evening this week. I could rent it, but I'm thinking the U-haul trailers are pretty heavy and may be extra weight I don't need to haul. IDK, might be okay.

An option would also be to have at least 2 pickups come load plants from here in Washougal on Sat PM or early Sun AM and haul them up for the Sunday planting.

We still need a couple pickup loads of chips delivered to the site, unless someone did that this weekend. So keep your eyes and ears pealed for word of free chips to load up.

I'm sure I'll think of something else we need, but the chips and a loan of a trailer is most important right now.

Thanks,
Bill

Last week before the planting of the safety project and a couple things yet to do.

A guy in the Washougal area donated a 330 gallon water tank, so I'll bring it. He doesn't want it back so, it will be for TNL use as needed. As we plant, we'll be able to fill buckets and water the plants. (Pic is example, and not the actual tank but same thing).

This means I loose a 4x4 space in my truck, so, I'm looking for a utility trailer to haul plants in. I would need to have a trailer ready to leave early Saturday morning, so that means I'd have to get the trailer some evening this week. I could rent it, but I'm thinking the U-haul trailers are pretty heavy and may be extra weight I don't need to haul. IDK, might be okay.

An option would also be to have at least 2 pickups come load plants from here in Washougal on Sat PM or early Sun AM and haul them up for the Sunday planting.

We still need a couple pickup loads of chips delivered to the site, unless someone did that this weekend. So keep your eyes and ears pealed for word of free chips to load up.

I'm sure I'll think of something else we need, but the chips and a loan of a trailer is most important right now.

Thanks,
Bill
I have a 5×8 trailer with tall sides you can use...

I also just got home from a road trip and I was expecting to see a pile of chips at my house...I'll try to empty my 7x14 dump trailer this week and go buy 3 or 4 yards...I cant guarantee it but I'll make the effort

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews