JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just posted this to the Event thread about the cleanup this Saturday...............................................

Today alone, we raised $690 for this cleanup! (that was John's $600, Eric J's $40 and Don's $50). Thank you guys!!!

Our goal was $772 and we had already raised $375, so, we're over the goal by $293! Hmmmm.... What do we do with that extra money?

First off, I say we wait to see what the final cost of disposal is. After that, any remaining money be put into the next project at NF Wolf Creek Lanes, the Public Safety Project, where we're still raising funds to block an area off the corner of Lane 3 to shooting. Details of that projects are at: https://www.trashnoland.org/fundraisers/public-safety-project-tillamook-state-forest-wolf-creek-rd/ and Phase I of the project is scheduled for April 18th.

Or, we can hold the remaining funds for the next needed cleanup at Wolf Creek. @Cosimel is planning a regular monthly cleanup party and this would help him cover some costs.

It's great to see users stepping up to share and care for these lanes! Let's extend that stewardship to other dispersed shooting areas in the Tillamook!

Thanks all,
Bill

I gotta go Zoom now with WA Dept of Nat Resources about a large 'Unofficial' cleanup in the Yacolt Burn State Forest this April 24th. So, I'll be back in an hour or so to reply if needed.

While at the cleanup, I think it'd be great if we could shovel up some of the gravel and fill in the firing lines jersey barriers again. The inside gravel has sunk down and would really be nice if they were full to the brim once again. So, if anyone can bring a couple shovels and a wheel barrow, that'd be great!

If we can't get the barriers filled in at this cleanup, it'll be a couple weekends until we have the tractor up there and we'll try to get them filled then. I also plan to have the tractor scoop up gravel and pile it back on top of each berm to help build up the berms once again.

Glad you like the lanes, Parvo! Yep, too bad about being so popular. It shows that people prefer to shoot at a nice place, rather than fighting the rough landscape of the forest. If we all can share in taking care of this place, we get to keep it and we get more of them. We really need more of them to relieve the pressure on these lanes. All depends on how well shooters respect it.

Hope to meet you out there someday!

Bill

How's them Jersey Barriers?

4-3-21 Jersey 1.jpg 4-3-21 Jersey 2.jpg 4-3-21 Jersey 3.jpg

We started with an attempt to simply add some charcoal shading here-n-there to try to make them look like concrete, but it wasn't working. Then, (who was it, Chris?), started doing what you see in the pics and we loved it! So, we continued it on all barriers (except lane 1 for now). Also notice we topped off the inside of the barriers so the gravel is flush with the top again.

I would say today's cleanup was a HUGE success! We...

• Cleaned up all 4 lanes,
  • Repaired the broken sign on lane 4 with new lumber and added new info signage,
  • Covered the graffiti on all jersey barriers (except lane 1),
  • Sealed each jersey barrier with Anti-Graffiti coating (except lane 1),
  • Filled in each jersey barrier with fresh gravel to the tops,
  • Cleaned up the Wolf Creek Rd from Hwy 26 to the lanes.

On top of that, we did it all with User funded money! (No forest official help!)!!!

I hear it was at least 22 people!

Really great! Thank you each and every one of you! We made the lanes Great Again!

As for the Wolf Creek Rd cleanup part...

I left the lanes at 2 PM but didn't get to Hwy 26 until 4 PM. I stopped at lane 1, where some shooters said they'd clean it up, and saw some targets still there and not the kind of cleanup the rest of us were doing, so, I grabbed a trash bag and did some work there (way up on the hill and got lots of trash from there).

Then proceeded down Wolf Creek Rd where I stopped at every piece of trash I saw. In and out of the truck every few feet for 2 hours! Seems like every time I stopped to get an empty bag of chips or a soda can, I discovered a bunch more trash off the edge. It was exhausting!

At one point, I saw a large plastic storage bin, with no top on it, in a swamp runoff area next to the road. I saw there were a lot of leaves inside, so, I figured I'd just dump it over and get the plastic container out of there. As I did, a huge pile of rotted carcass came out. It was Bear hair and skin (black coarse hair). I almost threw-up from the smell! Man, I wanted to leave that container out there, but just couldn't see doing that, so, into the pickup bed it went. I must have stunk up the whole freeway from the lanes to Washougal Washington! A hound dog could easily track me down all the way home!

So now it sits in my driveway, stinking up the whole neighborhood. I'm pretending I know nothing. It's just the container without any of the carcass, but it has the odor embedded into the plastic. Tomorrow evening, I'll sluff it into our community dumpster, because trash pick up happens on Monday morning. It'll be gone then.

So, that's how the road got cleaned up. My story and I'm stickin to it! :D

I hear the volunteer count was upwards of 30. I kind of thought so, because it seemed like a lot of people (but everyone was so spread out amongst all the lanes).

Since this wasn't an 'Official' forest agency cleanup, we didn't bother with the sign in sheet, like we usually do, so I don't have a list to count.

More pics and details to come after Easter Sunday. If anyone else has pics, post them when you can.

All in all, it was really great to meet new people and get to see the great folks from cleanups gone by. I wish it wasn't so hectic that we could spend more time just visiting and having more fun playing with our toys!

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm sore from head to toes, came home and fell asleep in front of my computer, :) probably should have reconsidered going down the hill on lane 4, and @Rem700..300 really did the most of that hill, can't imagine he's not feeling that too :D

Last Edited:
Not too bad now. Took a hot bath. Those berry vine cuts and 2 cuts in put in my calf really lit up with the hot water. It was a great team effort on the hill and the whole day. The winch really helped pull that stuff up that steep hill. I put pictures in the other thread.

Here's the opening written part. Wish I could include all pics here, but there's over 30 some pics, and that'd be tough to do in this thread. So, I wrote it out once and then can share the link to several places. Here's the opening, just before that pic that Cosimel posted...

Target Shooters Appreciate A Good Place To Practice!

When you have a good safe place to target practice, you want it to last and stay neat, clean and in order. Whether it's on your own property, your favorite gun range or on public land, you value a quality place to recreate. So, you put in a little time and materials for routine maintenance. Sometimes you just help with a donation so others can accomplish the critical goal. And sometimes you do both, volunteer and donate.

Such a maintenance day happened Saturday, April 3rd in the Tillamook State Forest, at 4 improved dispersed shooting lanes along North Fork Wolf Creek Road. Thirty volunteers gathered in the forest to accomplish several tasks in one day. Many of them also donated funds to assure success. Their mission was to clean up trash, repair a broken kiosk sign, cover up graffiti on the firing lines and replenish the gravel in each firing line table top.

This grass roots effort of cleanup and repairs, was funded and conducted 100% by volunteers who value recreational target shooting on public lands!

[pic]

[mid section with all the pics]

end...

Well done everyone! Thank you all!

Hosted by Trash No Land. Volunteers from Trash No Land, Northwest Firearms, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and Northwest Quadvan LLC

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top