JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Interesting situation up at the lanes yesterday.

I pulled up to lane 3 in the afternoon. There were 2 cars, and no one on the lane. I drove up to 4 and found it occupied so i came back down to 3. Still 2 cars, and no shooters. I waited a few and just decided to set up. As I'm setting up some little kids come walking up the road. I had not seen them when I drove in, so I can only conclude that they were in the bushes downrange. Scary.

Some other shooters pulled up and I gladly shared the lane with them. The whole time this group of people is across the way. No ear protection. Which from a safety perspective we wanted to ensure that no one was affected by the gunfire.

After they finally left with an older gentleman, we noticed that they had left a smoldering fire back up the path from the lane 3 parking pullout. SO definitely some weird goings on up there.

I was up on lane 3 with a friend last Thursday (his first time shooting since he was 15 and living in Florida, he turned 28 two days earlier) and a couple in a mid 90's LTD were broke down just past the lane sign on their way to lane 4. Apparently they had no spare tire and asked if we had a tire patch, which we didn't. The women said they were up there collecting brass. At some point they drove it up to lane 4 with a flat tire and we didn't see them again. Something I noticed was about a half a dozen little makeshift fire pits (no attempt at containment) including one just to the left of where cars park for lane 3, right up against the brush line. I mean not a single inch of gravel could be seen. That will burn that place down. :(

I pulled up to lane 3 in the afternoon. There were 2 cars, and no one on the lane. I drove up to 4 and found it occupied so i came back down to 3. Still 2 cars, and no shooters. I waited a few and just decided to set up. As I'm setting up some little kids come walking up the road. I had not seen them when I drove in, so I can only conclude that they were in the bushes downrange. Scary.

Some other shooters pulled up and I gladly shared the lane with them. The whole time this group of people is across the way. No ear protection. Which from a safety perspective we wanted to ensure that no one was affected by the gunfire.

After they finally left with an older gentleman, we noticed that they had left a smoldering fire back up the path from the lane 3 parking pullout. SO definitely some weird goings on up there.
It's very common for brass collectors to just linger. They are up there a lot during better weather. At all hours. They usually are not gun owners and of questionable backgrounds.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

One should always set up your targets first at North Fork Wolf Creek with your guns secured in your vehicle. Then after you have set up your targets, set up your firearms. Then reverse when leaving.

Most of the druggies up there just want your left over brass and will leave you alone. However, some are more greedy and may take the opportunity to take something a bit more expensive.

The only brass pickers I often encountered with last year was an old man with a 7 year old girl. I remember letting the dad and little girl shoot my steel targets for a bit their .380 acp. The girl was a strange one. I've never seen a kid so happy to pick up brass before.

I also often saw an older couple that would stop by and ask if they can pick up my brass. It was nice because it saved me the trouble of having to pickup my brass

Last time I was up at Salmonberry with a buddy of mine (~2 mos ago) we had two brass pickers come up unannounced when we were firing, not say a word, grab about 30 9mm casings and drive off. Whole encounter took about 90 seconds. We were completely surprised and confused at the same time. We had ears on and were pointed down range so we didn't see or hear them park. Creeped us both out and kept us looking over our shoulders the rest of time (and in future outings no doubt).

Some weird people up in the woods. Be careful out there...

Last time I was up at Salmonberry with a buddy of mine (~2 mos ago) we had two brass pickers come up unannounced when we were firing, not say a word, grab about 30 9mm casings and drive off. Whole encounter took about 90 seconds. We were completely surprised and confused at the same time. We had ears on and were pointed down range so we didn't see or hear them park. Creeped us both out and kept us looking over our shoulders the rest of time (and in future outings no doubt).

I always ask before getting near

Is Salmonberry just up from North fork on the left, salmonberry road or something? Music lane is just up from there on the right and has options too, but never sure which forks to take on these two, only looked the other day.

Is Salmonberry just up from North fork on the left, salmonberry road or something? Music lane is just up from there on the right and has options too, but never sure which forks to take on these two, only looked the other day.

Yeah, turn left on Salmonberry and it'll lead you to quite a few pits in you stay on the main road. There's also a couple side trails off the main Salmonberry Rd that have a few places to shoot as well. Music Lane will eventually lead you back to Wolf Creek, if you follow the right route lol

Probably brass pickers.

It's very common for brass collectors to just linger. They are up there a lot during better weather. At all hours. They usually are not gun owners and of questionable backgrounds.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

One should always set up your targets first at North Fork Wolf Creek with your guns secured in your vehicle. Then after you have set up your targets, set up your firearms. Then reverse when leaving.

Most of the druggies up there just want your left over brass and will leave you alone. However, some are more greedy and may take the opportunity to take something a bit more expensive.
I'm always packin' heat of some sort when downrange servicing targets.
I'd feel nekked otherwise.

I contacted Waist Management about a possible donation from them for us to drop off a couple loads from our cleanup. No program like that exists. We can apply for a donation of a dumpster, but that would need to be for when we do a larger group event. At least I now have the contact info and will try it when agencies allow group events again. With forest agencies cutting budgets, we may need this help.

So for now, we'll do the best we can without trying to make a big event out of it.

I'm still up for camping at lane 3 Friday night and cleanup Saturday morning, group shoot afternoon.

I contacted Waist Management about a possible donation from them for us to drop off a couple loads from our cleanup. No program like that exists. We can apply for a donation of a dumpster, but that would need to be for when we do a larger group event. At least I now have the contact info and will try it when agencies allow group events again. With forest agencies cutting budgets, we may need this help.

So for now, we'll do the best we can without trying to make a big event out of it.

I'm still up for camping at lane 3 Friday night and cleanup Saturday morning, group shoot afternoon.
Does it still show rain?

We should start with lane 1 and move up from there. We would be able to inform everyone of the project and recruit some help.

We should probably have someone start on lane 3 so we have that reserved for the group shoot.

Hope I'm not the only one camping Friday night!

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews