JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So my Sister in Laws fiance asked me if he had to do a waiting period to buy a gun. I said no not in Oregon but then came. "What if I am not a citizen" and I found out he was born and partly raised in Scotland.

He has an Oregon DL and is here legally but not a born in USA citizen. I would assume with all the laws the answer is NO GUN FOR YOU but wanted to check with people first. I tried to find some info on Oregons laws but have not found any laws regarding a legal alien....I think that is what he would be.

I was planning on selling him one of mine but hearing this I told him he should likely go to a LGS and get one....Just trying to avoid me getting in trouble in any way. Will he get denied at LGS?

Would he get in trouble if I showed him this site and armslist to do a private buy? I would recommend private most of the time right now but with his status I do not know.

prove 6 months residence in Oregon .
Seen plenty of Mexicans in past buy firearms and all they show is proof of 6-months residency . watched one that could not even speak or read . He had to have a translator 'he brought in' to help file out background 4473 and shown where to sign . but he could show 6-months residency with utilities & ID .
That is the price to pay for freedom . You friends sounds like he deserve his own Firearm .

He's Scottish, why not outfit him with a kilt and a Claymore.
Nobody will mess with him.

121534.jpg

Crap it is true. He just has to have proof he is a resident which even his DL shows as he has been here since age 8.

Not sure I get how easy it looks to be for a non citizen to get a gun but I will pass the info along and send him to an LGS....Maybe. Wonder if maybe I say "nope, you cannot" how much trouble I will get in with the wife.

I found out a bit ago the guy has never handled a gun in any way before. I am thinking maybe I will take him out a couple times and see if he still wants one after learning to shoot one. I taught my sister in law years ago so maybe it is better to have her get a gun...Ya know..To protect her man...Who I have been convinced by my wife to take camping soon...And Who has ALSO never camped in any way shape or form.

I am just getting to know this guy. I am not so impressed.

There's gotta be some Wallace blood in the guy.
You'll know soon enough if he starts to complain about not having a double shot hazelnut whipped cream latte from Starbucks after the first night camping.

There's gotta be some Wallace blood in the guy.
You'll know soon enough if he starts to complain about not having a double shot hazelnut whipped cream latte from Starbucks after the first night camping.

Yeah I hope the FREEDOM screaming side comes out of him. I did not know much about him until committing to a trip. Maybe he will surprise me but I cannot imagine never having touched a gun or ever sleeping outside of a comfy bed. I guess parents are wealthy so no need to "get dirty".

Hopefully we find some common ground. Otherwise I might come back alone and start looking for a future brother in law I can deal with. Hopefully he just has no idea what he is doing but is willing to learn. I do not mind that. It would be the latte thing that might leave him alone in the woods...Without a gun.

Ya, just hope he doesn't ask to ride your bike with his skirt on.:eek::eek::eek:^

I would bring the enduros but I fear the same. Or worse yet like everything else he has never touched a motorcycle. If he dropped one of my trail bikes he might find himself dropped deep in the woods. Just tell him "this is how I learned. You make it back to camp before I leave and you get to go home".

Either way I get a bit of a win.

Only difference is he'll have to bring his immigration card with him and the LGS will have to phone in the background Check. They will probably give him a 24 hour delay because they'll need to run an ICE check on him. Usually only takes a couple hours though.

Seems he CAN get one. The only question to ask myself is do I tell him that. I can say he will be in trouble for trying...They believe me to be a "gun nut" but not in the mean way so they would believe anything I said. What people do not know is I always simply ask you fellas. Makes me look well educated anyway.

He liked my revolver. I might let him shoot the LCR with full .357 loads and that might cure his desire. I can call it a "pee shooter with weak recoil" before hand and then tell him "well if you cannot handle that little fella you better leave all of them alone".

Glad I at least got to vent. Seems appropriate that all of his ancestors wore skirts. I know I am an a hole btw. I am good with that.

Don't take this the wrong way. But why would you try to keep somebody from becoming a gun owner (unless he is a loose cannon type of guy) We need as many as we can get.if you are not comfortable with teaching send him to a good training class.

Don't take this the wrong way. But why would you try to keep somebody from becoming a gun owner (unless he is a loose cannon type of guy) We need as many as we can get.if you are not comfortable with teaching send him to a good training class.

Normally I feel that way. I just do not see him as someone that would take the responsibility seriously and think it will just get loaded and put in a sock drawer. My kids go there and I really do not think some of the common sense is there.

Perfect example of why I am hesitant. I watched this guy earlier today get locked out of his house. I just made a call while I waited for him to figure it out. He said "go through the screen" so I figured he went around the corner to pop the screen out. He had asked to borrow my pocket knife and I assumed it was to again pop out the screen....NOPE. He cut the screen off with my knife. He did not know they come out.

So will he just assume he knows about a gun? I dunno but am hesitant to find out.

I guess when it is your little sister you just want someone that kinda has an idea how to protect them. Not a guy with money who cannot even open an assisted blade Kershaw without help.

Just would be nice if men still had to know a bit about surviving to get by. Now you can just have your parents money and never have to know a damn thing.

I am done ranting.

Normally I feel that way. I just do not see him as someone that would take the responsibility seriously and think it will just get loaded and put in a sock drawer. My kids go there and I really do not think some of the common sense is there.

Perfect example of why I am hesitant. I watched this guy earlier today get locked out of his house. I just made a call while I waited for him to figure it out. He said "go through the screen" so I figured he went around the corner to pop the screen out. He had asked to borrow my pocket knife and I assumed it was to again pop out the screen....NOPE. He cut the screen off with my knife. He did not know they come out.

So will he just assume he knows about a gun? I dunno but am hesitant to find out.

Nuff said I retract my question

I guess you could straighten out his learning curve a little:s0012:

Last Edited:
If you don't think he is mature enough to own a gun, by all means don't help him do it. Nothing wrong with following your gut, he is a grown man and can look up the laws himself and follow through if he wants.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top