JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am a Washington CPL holder resident that is going to be in Oregon for the next couple days. What are my options for carrying/transporting my gun if I were to take it with me? I do not have a CPL for Oregon. I know that I can get on a website somewhere and weed through a bunch of legal talk but I figured I'd start here with real people. Thanks for your help!

The gun must be unloaded and not accessible to the driver. This means the no round chambered and the magazine not in the weapon.

I think in Multnomah county, they just passed a new law that says you can't have ammo in your magazines either.

Fun times. . . maybe not.

I am a Washington CPL holder resident that is going to be in Oregon for the next couple days. What are my options for carrying/transporting my gun if I were to take it with me? I do not have a CPL for Oregon. I know that I can get on a website somewhere and weed through a bunch of legal talk but I figured I'd start here with real people. Thanks for your help!

You could always claim you're heading to or from target shooting, then you can carry it concealed legally without a permit. Or you can buy a temporary fishing/hunting license & claim you're heading to or back from a fishing/hunting expedition, same deal... can carry concealed no permit needed. Or you can do what the poster above said, that's legal.. Or you can do whatever it is you want to do & I don't know or care if it is legal or illegal because its none of my business....

Btw you can 'legally' open carry just about anywhere. With a few exceptions im sure someone will point out :D

The gun must be unloaded and not accessible to the driver. This means the no round chambered and the magazine not in the weapon.

I think in Multnomah county, they just passed a new law that says you can't have ammo in your magazines either.

Really hard to legal open carry that way???????

Unlike WA, OR law allows different areas to have their own set of laws on carry.

In most of OR open carry is 100% legal. If you are in some of the bigger metro areas it would be illegal.

Click on the state you want and it will tell you what the laws are, Handgunlaw.us

Almost sounds like a bigger hassle than I thought. Gun not accessible to the driver and unloaded translates into worthless. Open carry is most often a hassle because you have to deal with police, people who don't know their company policies and stares. My wife and I are going to the beach for our anniversary. Would like to have a relaxing time and not have to deal with the ignorance. Lol! Sounds like I may just leave them home. Been wanting to take the class to get my Oregon CPL but the money and time hasn't been there when the opportunity arises.
Thanks all.

Well if you feel like it is a hassle then for you I guess it is. I have open carried many time in OR and never been hassled one time.

Sounds like you have never tried open carry. I say this because all of the "hassles" you list are things people the don't open carry complain of but those that do open carry don't seem to have any problem with.

OC may not be for you but please quit repeating the "hassles" of it unless you have actual cases of any of those things happening.

Almost sounds like a bigger hassle than I thought. Gun not accessible to the driver and unloaded translates into worthless. Open carry is most often a hassle because you have to deal with police, people who don't know their company policies and stares. My wife and I are going to the beach for our anniversary. Would like to have a relaxing time and not have to deal with the ignorance. Lol! Sounds like I may just leave them home. Been wanting to take the class to get my Oregon CPL but the money and time hasn't been there when the opportunity arises.
Thanks all.

Well the thing is, depends what city your coming down to visit & if you're going to be driving a lot then just open carry while your in the car for carjacking purposes. Of course the most likely place to get carjacked in Oregon is Portland and guess what they say about open carry lol. But what is more important to you, the off chance of being carjacked & being able to protect yourself or the unlikeliness of even coming into contact with a police officer?

Not that I want to be the one to try this... but this is Oregon 166.173

166.173 Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places. (1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places as defined in ORS 161.015.

(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:

(a) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty.

(b) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.

(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.

(d) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building or court facility under ORS 166.370.

(e) An employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope of employment, who possesses a loaded firearm in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife. [1995 s.s. c.1 §4; 1999 c.782 §8; 2009 c.556 §3]

It gives cities and counties the authority to regulate the possession of firearms. However, it says that if you have a valid concealed carry license, the city or county laws do not impact you. The wording does NOT say Oregon CHL, just concealed carry license, so I believe that a Washington license would allow you to carry open in places like Portland or Multnomah County. This does NOT give you the right to concealed carry, since Oregon doesn't have reciprocity with any other states.

I'd bet your wrong. Oregon does not recognize a Washington CHL so if it doesn't recognize it I bet it doesn't allow one to pack open in Multnomah County.

Like I said, I don't want to be the one to try it, but the wording doesn't say only Oregon CHL, so take it however you want....

I'd bet your wrong. Oregon does not recognize a Washington CHL so if it doesn't recognize it I bet it doesn't allow one to pack open in Multnomah County.

oregon is an open carry state as long as it is in the open you can carry your gun ever loaded

Except in Portland, and any other city that has regulations on open carry. I'm not sure when the new Multnomah County ordinance goes into effect, but I think that it should be pretty soon.

14A.60.010 Possession of a Loaded Firearm in a Public Place. - Printable Version

(Amended by Ordinance No. 184274, effective December 31, 2010.)
A. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the firearm.
B. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm and that firearm's clip or magazine, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the clip or magazine.
C. The following are exceptions and constitute affirmative defenses to a violation of this Section:
1. A police officer or other duly appointed peace officers, whether active or honorably retired.
2. A member of the military in the performance of official duty.
3. A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
4. A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building under ORS 166.370.
5. A government employee authorized or required by his or her employment or office to carry firearms.
6. A person summoned by a police officer to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace, while such person is actually engaged in assisting the officer.
7. A merchant who possesses or is engaged in lawfully transporting unloaded firearms as merchandise.
8. Organizations which are by law authorized to purchase or receive weapons from the United States or from this state.
9. Duly authorized military or civil organizations while parading, or their members when going to and from the places of meeting of their organization.
10. A corrections officer while transporting or accompanying an individual convicted of or arrested for an offense and confined in a place of incarceration or detention while outside the confines of the place of incarceration or detention.
11. Persons travelling to and from an established target range, whether public or private, for the purpose of practicing shooting targets at the target ranges.
12. Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or returning from a hunting or fishing expedition.
13. A person authorized by permit of the Chief of Police to possess a loaded firearm, clip, or magazine in a public place in the City of Portland.
14. A security guard employed at a financial institution insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation while the security guard is on duty.

Interesting. What if I intentionally, and not "recklessley" leave the ammunition in my magazine? Who writes this garbage?
Then you will get to spend all of your hard won treasure, accumulated over a lifetime of hard labor on the off-chance that you could win in a court system set up by the same folks that "Wrote this garbage".

Thanks all.

Going to the beach.... sorta hard to carry concealed in a speedo...

Then you will get to spend all of your hard won treasure, accumulated over a lifetime of hard labor on the off-chance that you could win in a court system set up by the same folks that "Wrote this garbage".

Yeah, I got that. I figured it was implied. I know how the laws are implemented. That problem is that in law, words are supposed to be very important. But the garbage that they push through against us doesn't need to be because the actual law abiding citizens are too smart to challange it if they don't have to, because we know the system only protects the actual criminals.

Try citing the law, not junk. ORS 166.250(3) a pistol in a holster, carried openly on your hip, is not subject to the restrictions in ORS 166.250. UNLICENSED Open Carry is 100% legal in OR with a few (very few) exceptions...listed below.

Now, Portland, Salem, Beaverton, Tigard, Independence, Oregon City, Lincoln city? and Astoria (and recently Multnomah County) restrict loaded UNLICENSED OC. Bend and Springfield restrict loaded unlicensed OC in their city parks only. With an OR CHL you can tell them all to go pound sand. With "a(ny) license to carry a concealed weapon" that is not an OR CHL...well, that has never been through court.

Read ORS 166.173 pay particular attention to (2)(c) and (2)(d) Many arguments as to if "a license to carry a concealed weapon" (ORS 166.173(2)(c) means any license to carry, or only an OR CHL. (2)(d) will point you to ORS 166.370 which states you must have an OR CHL to enter a public building, armed.

Any way you cut it, unless you meet an exemption in ORS 166.260...DO NOT carry a weapon CONCEALED in OR without a OR CHL. OK?

ORS 166.260 has exemptions to 166.250 (250 is kind of like WA RCW9.41.050, and .260 is kind of like WA .060) The good OR exemption require you to have a OR Hunting or Fishing license though.

Open carry, loaded, in a vehicle, or outside a vehicle, is 100% legal in OR everywhere that has not made use of the local restrictions in ORS 166.173. (listed above)

Do read the law. Internet fables could restrict your pleasure, or get you into problems. Don't talk to cops, don't talk to firearms instructors, and don't listen to newspaper articles, or internet talk...READ THE LAW yourself.

And remember, OR is an OC state. There is no restriction to loaded in a vehicle without a CHL or an exemption, as there is in WA, EXCEPT in the municipalities listed above.

Thanks all.

I do not understand why you might think OC is a hassle? I have OC'd all over OR, and have never even talked to any OR LE, for any reason (that includes when I used to live down there) Why do you think you will be hassled by the cops? or anyone for that matter?

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top