JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Being in touristy Seaside you get all kinds of people from all over that may have problems with guns. Typically I could care less if I were in Washington because we hold Wa CPLs. But being we are out of state, not licensed to carry, and its our anniversary, I would find it a hassle if some tourist super lefty didn't like the guy carrying a gun on his hip so they decided they wanted to call the police saying there is a guy with a gun. It would cause us to take time out of our anniversary activities to deal with it. We are looking for 100% relaxation here. Not a political outing. Not this time. I was just asking to find out if there was a reciprocity of some sort to where I could carry concealed with my Wa CPL and there isn't. Made my decision to leave the guns home. Didn't mean to start any bubblegum here.
Thanks for those that helped!

The lack of reciprocity with OR is the reason I got my OR permit years ago when we were vendors at shows and I carried money from the sales.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Being in touristy Seaside you get all kinds of people from all over that may have problems with guns. Typically I could care less if I were in Washington because we hold Wa CPLs. But being we are out of state, not licensed to carry, and its our anniversary, I would find it a hassle if some tourist super lefty didn't like the guy carrying a gun on his hip so they decided they wanted to call the police saying there is a guy with a gun. It would cause us to take time out of our anniversary activities to deal with it. We are looking for 100% relaxation here. Not a political outing. Not this time. I was just asking to find out if there was a reciprocity of some sort to where I could carry concealed with my Wa CPL and there isn't. Made my decision to leave the guns home. Didn't mean to start any bubblegum here.
Thanks for those that helped!

I used to live in Seaside. Seaside is not a problem...however, Astoria has restrictions per ORS 166.173

I am a Washington CPL holder resident that is going to be in Oregon for the next couple days. What are my options for carrying/transporting my gun if I were to take it with me? I do not have a CPL for Oregon. I know that I can get on a website somewhere and weed through a bunch of legal talk but I figured I'd start here with real people. Thanks for your help!

Just seems odd that you would decide to leave your gun(s) home on a trip to a State that you can 'legally' bring any gun & any ammo into it that you like. You can bring whatever you have, anywhere in the entire State of Oregon. Can leave it in the hotel room or hidden in your vehicle if you're worried about 'staying legal'. Another trolling thread.

Not that I want to be the one to try this... but this is Oregon 166.173

166.173 Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places. (1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places as defined in ORS 161.015.

(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:

(a) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty.

(b) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.

(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.

(d) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building or court facility under ORS 166.370.

(e) An employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope of employment, who possesses a loaded firearm in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife. [1995 s.s. c.1 §4; 1999 c.782 §8; 2009 c.556 §3]

It gives cities and counties the authority to regulate the possession of firearms. However, it says that if you have a valid concealed carry license, the city or county laws do not impact you. The wording does NOT say Oregon CHL, just concealed carry license, so I believe that a Washington license would allow you to carry open in places like Portland or Multnomah County. This does NOT give you the right to concealed carry, since Oregon doesn't have reciprocity with any other states.

You said it; since Oregon doesn't have reciprocity with any other states. So since Oregon doesn't recognize your permit from another state then the exemption they would give to, A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun, would only apply to Oregon chl holders.

For those of you that say you have done it a 100 times and never had any issues; I speed all the time and pass cops while speeding, but they choose not to pull me over. So just because they don't hassel you for it doesn't make it legal.

But hey, if you have a great lawyer and a lot of cash and time to burn, go for it.

You said it; since Oregon doesn't have reciprocity with any other states. So since Oregon doesn't recognize your permit from another state then the exemption they would give to, A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun, would only apply to Oregon chl holders.

For those of you that say you have done it a 100 times and never had any issues; I speed all the time and pass cops while speeding, but they choose not to pull me over. So just because they don't hassel you for it doesn't make it legal.

But hey, if you have a great lawyer and a lot of cash and time to burn, go for it.

You guys in Oregon have been bullied just like the guys in NYS to the point that was in plainly stated in the law is of no account to you.

So I make a challenge to you, just like I made a challenge to the guys on NyFirearms, show me the court case where someone has been charge with loaded OPEN CARRY in Portland when they had ANY license to carry. Ya ya, I know, but everyone you will find has been for loaded CONCEALED carry...which we all now is illegal in Oregon, and never dispute.

The only person I have ever heard of having been stopped and had their weapon seized for loaded OPEN CARRY in a restricted city was a WA resident in Astoria, And he was given his weapon back a couple hours later and was not charged with anything.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top