JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for the input. To clarify, my concerns about durability are essentially that if I buy anything that isn't "bombproof" I'll lend up crumpling it like a soda can the first time I bump into a log. Obviously that isn't reality, though the thought of buying something less than the toughest bugs me but I'm ok with some sacrifice in that department for sound suppression. Definitely want to avoid a can that isn't quiet enough. Instant buyer's remorse
So I just literally went through all of this... I am a deadair fan. I have a Mask and Ghost they are great. I go for Db reduction first its a silencer why are you buying something that is loud???? I wanted a Nomad L or a SandMan L. After tireless research and comparing suppression capabilities, holding them both in hand etc. I went Nomad L because it is insanely quiet and very well built basically it will take a really big beating from Mike Pappas himself, The Sandman L is bombproof it will be better for someone going belt fed full auto and it does a great job with sound reduction but wont touch the Nomad L. Nomad L baffle design also makes it really quiet with bigger calibers like your 300 winmags. It will put a 6.5 creedmore into the mid 120s. I was going to get the Sandman L forever and then it just made more sense to get the Nomad L I wont be rolling belt fed full auto and I want my gun to sound like a fart in the wind. I hope this helps. I would steer clear of Ti additions unless you are giving the silencer a break to cool off every 10 shots that is per deadair.

So I just literally went through all of this... I am a deadair fan. I have a Mask and Ghost they are great. I go for Db reduction first its a silencer why are you buying something that is loud???? I wanted a Nomad L or a SandMan L. After tireless research and comparing suppression capabilities, holding them both in hand etc. I went Nomad L because it is insanely quiet and very well built basically it will take a really big beating from Mike Pappas himself, The Sandman L is bombproof it will be better for someone going belt fed full auto and it does a great job with sound reduction but wont touch the Nomad L. Nomad L baffle design also makes it really quiet with bigger calibers like your 300 winmags. It will put a 6.5 creedmore into the mid 120s. I was going to get the Sandman L forever and then it just made more sense to get the Nomad L I wont be rolling belt fed full auto and I want my gun to sound like a fart in the wind. I hope this helps. I would steer clear of Ti additions unless you are giving the silencer a break to cool off every 10 shots that is per deadair.
I ended up going with the sandman L as I just don't want to even think about whether I'm abusing my suppressor. I want to think about the hunt and taking the shot and 31dB sound reduction will make me much, much happier than 0dB so I pulled the proverbial trigger. Doesn't hurt that I can buy another muzzle device and goof off with ARs if I choose, too. Maybe down the road we can compare?

@TTSX I hope the Sandman L meets and exceeds your expectations but that is a long and very heavy can, especially for anything that will be carried like a hunting rifle. Go put a wooden dowel down your barrel and then hang 1.8lbs off of it. Go for a hike with 9" of dowel sticking out of your barrel. After adding a keymo muzzle device you will be right at 1.8lbs and over 9" of additional length. Between the weight and additional length that is going to be a lot of leverage hanging off the end of the barrel.

I own a Sandman S, I bought it for almost the same reasons you are buying yours. If you asked me which can of the 16 I have bought I regret the most, it would be the Sandman S. It suppresses OK but isn't what I would consider good and shooting anything supersonic is never going to be that quiet. Sure, it will survive forever but unless you are going to play in the full auto world suppressed or short barrels or do mag dump after mag dump you are never going to wear out a modern, top tier manufacturers suppressor. If you can shoot one out without abusing it, the cost of the suppressor will be minimal compared to the cost of the ammo run through it. The other reason I would do things differently instead of buying a Sandman S is because I could have bought two YHM Turbo's, including stamps for the same price as the one Sandman S. My YHM Turbo is as quite or more quite than my Sandman S at half the price. It is also shorter and lighter with what is quickly becoming the universal standard of 1.375 x 24 threads for the back of the can which allows you to use numerous mounting options.

I know the appeal of buying quality and something that will last forever but for most of us suppressor owners, most any quality suppressor will last our lifetimes. This is why I put things like weight, diameter, length, sound suppression over durability. The only friends and folks I have engaged with who own suppressors and have destroyed one, was due to negligence or a baffle strike. They also got their suppressor fixed at no cost by the manufacturers which speaks volumes about them standing behind their warranties even if they didn't have to.

The worst thing about buying suppressors, is that if you make a mistake you are pretty much stuck with it forever. You could sell it but they are worthless once transferred.

Please don't take the above as trashing Dead Air. I actually love Dead Air products and own three (Wolfman, Mask, Sandman S) with my eyes on two more, a Nomad TI and Nomad LT. I will also be buying at least one and possibly two more Mask's which is my favorite 22lr suppressor. I am just trying to give you my honest feedback on a similar product which I have regrets over purchasing. My regrets aren't because there is anything wrong with my Sandman S, it is because it isn't the right suppressor for my needs based on its price point and features.

Here is some great data taken from the Pew Science website which if you haven't been to I highly recommend spending time on. A lot of data is available without having to sign up for their membership.

1626064464554.png

@TTSX I hope the Sandman L meets and exceeds your expectations but that is a long and very heavy can, especially for anything that will be carried like a hunting rifle. Go put a wooden dowel down your barrel and then hang 1.8lbs off of it. Go for a hike with 9" of dowel sticking out of your barrel. After adding a keymo muzzle device you will be right at 1.8lbs and over 9" of additional length. Between the weight and additional length that is going to be a lot of leverage hanging off the end of the barrel.

I own a Sandman S, I bought it for almost the same reasons you are buying yours. If you asked me which can of the 16 I have bought I regret the most, it would be the Sandman S. It suppresses OK but isn't what I would consider good and shooting anything supersonic is never going to be that quiet. Sure, it will survive forever but unless you are going to play in the full auto world suppressed or short barrels or do mag dump after mag dump you are never going to wear out a modern, top tier manufacturers suppressor. If you can shoot one out without abusing it, the cost of the suppressor will be minimal compared to the cost of the ammo run through it. The other reason I would do things differently instead of buying a Sandman S is because I could have bought two YHM Turbo's, including stamps for the same price as the one Sandman S. My YHM Turbo is as quite or more quite than my Sandman S at half the price. It is also shorter and lighter with what is quickly becoming the universal standard of 1.375 x 24 threads for the back of the can which allows you to use numerous mounting options.

I know the appeal of buying quality and something that will last forever but for most of us suppressor owners, most any quality suppressor will last our lifetimes. This is why I put things like weight, diameter, length, sound suppression over durability. The only friends and folks I have engaged with who own suppressors and have destroyed one, was due to negligence or a baffle strike. They also got their suppressor fixed at no cost by the manufacturers which speaks volumes about them standing behind their warranties even if they didn't have to.

The worst thing about buying suppressors, is that if you make a mistake you are pretty much stuck with it forever. You could sell it but they are worthless once transferred.

Please don't take the above as trashing Dead Air. I actually love Dead Air products and own three (Wolfman, Mask, Sandman S) with my eyes on two more, a Nomad TI and Nomad LT. I will also be buying at least one and possibly two more Mask's which is my favorite 22lr suppressor. I am just trying to give you my honest feedback on a similar product which I have regrets over purchasing. My regrets aren't because there is anything wrong with my Sandman S, it is because it isn't the right suppressor for my needs based on its price point and features.

Here is some great data taken from the Pew Science website which if you haven't been to I highly recommend spending time on. A lot of data is available without having to sign up for their membership.

View attachment 990471
I appreciate the feedback and have considered the weight. Fortunately, I'm still young and I tend to carry my rifles vertically though you're not wrong on many of your observations. Since it's dead air, I can get a keymo adapter for a nomad ti if it turns out I'm wrong and can't handle the weight, without having to change my muzzle device. I'm pretty sold on dead air's keymo system, largely due to the absence of threads to fill with dirt should I take a tumble without the suppressor mounted. Small detail but helped make the sale. Since this is only my second, I'm allowing myself to make mistakes and learn, eagerly so. I've hopefully got 40 solid sessions ahead of me before my body says it's time to slow down

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews