JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After having a week to enjoy my very first suppressor, a dead air mask, I found myself to be a believer. Now I've got the need to suppress my centerfire rifles, specifically hunting, because that's the only time I'm about 100% going to shoot without ear pro. There are a ton of options but they all seem to be some mix and compromise between durability, noise suppression and weight and I'm curious how everyone else values these aspects. I initially wanted the dead air sandman K because it's small, light and tough as nails but in testing, it's nearly 10dB louder than the next size up with seems to equal about half as effective. Looking now at the dead air nomad L which has shown capable of bringing super .308 down to the low 120s but it's a big, big can in my opinion. Thoughts/comments/opinions?

The Nomad K is about useless on any rifle other than a 300 Blackout with subsonic ammo, and it is still not very lightweight. The Nomad L is one of the quietest 30 caliber cans I have ever heard. If weight is a consideration go with the Nomad LT or the Nomad Ti. I went with the Nomad Ti for my primary hunting can, it was the right balance of lightweight, shorter length, and awesome sound suppression for me. If your main use is on a bolt action hunting rifle, don't worry to much about "durability". You probably won't be mag dumping 30 rounds out of your bolt action....

I buy for durability and sound. I've only got one rifle can as I only wanted to suppress one caliber in that category. It is a YHM Turbo. It goes toe to toe with much more expensive cans. Yet it is much more heavy. Best of luck, there are tons of options.

Thanks for the input. To clarify, my concerns about durability are essentially that if I buy anything that isn't "bombproof" I'll lend up crumpling it like a soda can the first time I bump into a log. Obviously that isn't reality, though the thought of buying something less than the toughest bugs me but I'm ok with some sacrifice in that department for sound suppression. Definitely want to avoid a can that isn't quiet enough. Instant buyer's remorse.

Thanks for the input. To clarify, my concerns about durability are essentially that if I buy anything that isn't "bombproof" I'll lend up crumpling it like a soda can the first time I bump into a log. Obviously that isn't reality, though the thought of buying something less than the toughest bugs me but I'm ok with some sacrifice in that department for sound suppression. Definitely want to avoid a can that isn't quiet enough. Instant buyer's remorse.
17/4 stainless and or the right grade titanium you can throw at the tree, run it over, fall down a cliff and it will still work.

Remember these things are designed to contain high pressure gasses internally. Low pressure hits from and external source won't do a thing.

My turbo is a freaking tank. It's actually lighter than some of the cans before it. Yet it is not the lightest.

I could give a damn about weight. I want durability and performance.

13 lbs of glory...

PXL_20210625_202423207.jpg

Durability then sound suppression performance. Can't really say weight really factored in for the decision on the application. To each their own.
I know there are numerous light weight models out there. When considering hanging another pound off 16-24", it could make a difference. Maybe not enough of a difference to make a difference

I know there are numerous light weight models out there. When considering hanging another pound off 16-24", it could make a difference. Maybe not enough of a difference to make a difference
Certainly could. Most, though not all, of the firearms I suppress are SBRs or a submachine-gun, so barrel length is far more abbreviated than the 16"+. One is standard length, but so light weight, it is immaterial. Another it most certainly changed the balance, but not enough to really to care, and I like the resulting system. (Parenthetically, I did once suppress a Mini-14. It was a dumpster-fire; screwed up balance, unpleasant experience shooting it, etc. Live and learn. :s0114:)

I'm a fan of lightweight for a hunting rifle. Most of the titanium cans are in the lighter weight category, still durable. They do have a more "tinney " sound but decibels are the same.
those can be higher priced too.
Also you want to consider the length of the can. If you dont cut your barrel, remember that you are adding 5-9" to the end of your hunting rifle. It can get cumbersome going through trees or brush. My opinion is the 7" length is the best compromise.

@TTSX what hunting rifle are you thinking about purchasing one for?
That's a good question, and if I bought a suppressor today, it wouldn't be in my possession for this season. Both my rifles, one in 6.5 CM, the other in 7mm rem mag have the typical tapered barrel I'd imagine doesn't lend well to threading so I'd have to buy one, build one or modify one. So at this point I suppose it's a fairly open subject. I just know that a shot in an otherwise quiet forest really rings my drums and I'd like to avoid that going forward

If you built one it would be in your possession.

I use a 16" Mossberg MYP Patrol in .308 . Nice trigger and it will hold MOA with M118LR spec ammo with a SIG 762Ti silencer. .

If you built one it would be in your possession.

I use a 16" Mossberg MYP Patrol in .308 . Nice trigger and it will hold MOA with M118LR spec ammo with a SIG 762Ti silencer. .
True. A form 1 could be helpful but to be frank, I don't trust myself to build one worth a darn. Build a rifle, sure BTDT.

True. A form 1 could be helpful but to be frank, I don't trust myself to build one worth a darn. Build a rifle, sure BTDT.
Spend some time on some of the suppressor boards and you'll understand that just about any idiot can build a working silencer with almost no tooling. Seriously . All the parts are readily available including drilling jigs.

That's a good question, and if I bought a suppressor today, it wouldn't be in my possession for this season. Both my rifles, one in 6.5 CM, the other in 7mm rem mag have the typical tapered barrel I'd imagine doesn't lend well to threading so I'd have to buy one, build one or modify one. So at this point I suppose it's a fairly open subject. I just know that a shot in an otherwise quiet forest really rings my drums and I'd like to avoid that going forward
There are a lot of good hunting rifle options available with threaded barrels, more now than ever I'd say.

Some manufacturers have minimum barrel diameter requirements for their cans. Some will have a gunsmith sleeve the end so the diameter will be thick enough. I had a Tikka and I just decided to get a new barrel.
I wasted 2 years waffling over buying one. I know its easy to say from my side, but just hurry up and buy one. Cuz like you said, you'll still have to wait.

With any purchase of a silencer, you have to make a concession or two regarding length, weight, cost, sound suppression, mounting system, and others. Last hunting season I used my Dead Air Sandman-L on both my 6.5cm and 300WM. I love it! It's effective and I am able to maintain accuracy. The QD mounting system is, by far, the best I have used. The downside to it is that the Sandman-L is heavy! My preference is a silencer with more internal volume and have been looking at the Dead Air Nomad LT. Though it's not on the cheap end, it checks the most boxes for what I am looking for in a hunting silencer.

@TTSX I would second the suggestion of one of the Dead Air Nomad Ti's or a Nomad LT. On a hunting rifle I would only be looking to bring sound down to hearing safe at shooters ear. More important to me would be minimal or no point of aim (POA)/point of impact (POI) shift with suppressor on or off and weight. The best solution I know of on the market for suppression, weight, size, accuracy and minimal to no POA/POI shift is Thunderbeast. Smallest/lightest is going to be the Dominus with CB mount followed by the Ultra 5, 7 and 9.

There are certainly other options but the options listed above are the top cans on the market that meet your needs/requirements. They are also very versatile and will be more than just a hunting suppressor if you want to utilize on other firearms.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews