JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I figured I'd ask here first, as I'd expect you guys to know the answer.

Way back in 2010 or 2009 my wife and I bought a 25 pound bag of Jasmine Rice at Costco. We store the rice in a cool dark place, but the bag is still open and not sealed (we just roll the top down). We transfer the rice into smaller jars to keep in the kitchen and cook with in the rice cooker. The last few batches of rice we've cooked has come out mushy. So much so, that you almost end up with a lump of undefinable mush, instead of a mass of sticky rice grains. I checked the bag last night and it said "best before April 12, 2011" and we are way past that date. Has the rice gone bad? Any advice on how to store it? This isn't a prepper question, more along the lines of I'd rather buy it in bulk.

Thanks.:D

I put jasmine white in glass mason jars and just screwed the lids on. Stored them in the basement shielded from all light sources. That was mid-2009. We've been eating it over the last 6 months. It still tastes like I bought it yesterday. (However, I do like the freezing idea to kill bugs...)

I wonder if you could use a food bag sealer with any larger degree of success? anyone ever try this? we have the brand from Costc that sucks the air out and seals it it is really a great tool.

I have a FOODSAVER PLUS, tried using it on mylar bags, it did not well at all, grant it, it is 13 years old has been used a lot as it's intended purpose, and still works well as its intended purpose.

I bought a mylar sealer on Amazon Amazon.com: 6" Portable Hand Held Heat Sealer (Model KF-150CST) For Mylar Bags For Long Term Food Storage: Industrial & Scientific I know it's $112.00 but as much as i use it, it was wortht he inverstment

I might add, if you know others who are prepping maybe you can share resources like you buy one item and they buy another and share useage..

Rice loses most flavor after about a month after harvest no matter the storage method. Nutritional value decreases sharply after that. Basically the rice we have in the US is a hole filler. Years of storage will turn it into mush as it will not keep.

Thank you for all the information. I think I am going to look into some alternative storage methods for the rice in the future. I like the idea of pre-packaged serving that you can gab and go.

Thank you for all the information. I think I am going to look into some alternative storage methods for the rice in the future. I like the idea of pre-packaged serving that you can gab and go.

I am in the process of breaking mine down into a hefty serving for two people, each serving is in a mylar pouch with an oxygen absorber.

Yes, a little over kill, but it is in small meal size packages, I also broke open other cases of food with #10 cans, and inserted mylar packages in between the cans to conserve storage space, and to make it easier to move, haul or store.

A sealed container with an oxygen absorber does wonders to preserve rice, if you add a small amount of dry ice on the bottom of the container and let it melt with the lid on but loose. When you feel the bottom of your container (in 30 minutes or so), if it is beginning to warm, toss in your oxygen absorber and seal the lid. We have white rive we bought in 2005 and stored this way, it is still good. The brown rice we bought and stored at the same time is terrible. Brown rice will only keep for two years or so, because of the oils in it.

I've vaccumed sealed my rice (from costco) in qt bags and its lasted 8mo now and seems to be working great. I did have 2 bags get punctured and loose the seal so keep an eye on it and just use those first.

I'm eating WR that I bought in 1999. I froze it for 3 weeks, with the sack wrapped in plastic trash bag. I remove it from freezer and, still wrapped, let it thaw. Transfered to mylar bag in 5 gallon bucket with that screw on lid thingy, stored in a cool dark place. eats like new.
I have done the same with beans of all kinds.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top