Gun Deals
Low Price Guns
Buster Beaver Cerakote
Advertise on Northwest Firearms
Oregon Arms & Ammunition
Defensive Arts
Oregon Rifleworks
Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Food preps: rice, beans, pancake mix, salt, what else?

Reactions
I got a notification that one of those Mountain House #10 cans that my now ex loved to buy and stock went on sale. I looked at the lame duck 1/2 cup serving and 10 servings per can for $40 and was like, ugh...no...

So I picked up 50 lbs of rice, 50 lbs of beans, 25 lbs pancake mix, 5 lbs of salt (I already have some food and salt) for $40 today. I am thinking of going back tomorrow to get more of the same. I'm currently storing the 50 lb bag of rice in my freezer to kill the bugs/eggs. I made that mistake once before where I went to use it and there were live bugs all up in there!

I already had about 40 lbs of rice and beans, pasta, salt, canned meat, veggies, etc. But I decided to get more because I would like to have 1 years worth of food on hand, which should be easy to do IMO based on serving sizes with:

100 lbs of rice
100 lbs of black beans
75 lbs of pancake mix
10 lbs of salt

What else should I get? Oatmeal? More pasta? Flour? Potato flakes? I'm going for bang for the buck simple meals that are tasty and high in calories, carbs and protein (and yes I love rice and black beans). I have a garden space (I have a large yard) and I used to raise rabbits and chickens for meat and eggs previously and am CONSIDERING doing it again (though it's a daily chore morning and night...). I will get variety from what I already have on hand (but am open to suggestions), what I grow and raise as well as what I barter for.

And yes I have heirloom seeds and such.

Last edited:
Reactions
Pure sugar.
As with salt, its a natural preservative.
So long as there isn't exposure to moisture (and in an event like that mainly the top layer is molded, bit it has to be significant moisture)

Id also consider honey as it too can’t really spoil and even if solidified can be heated and used.

Howard1955

Reactions
Honeyville.com has a lot of good stuff.

Freckleface.com has Gammaseal lids for 5-gallon buckets.

Here’s a link to a nice grain grinder. The world's finest hand grain mill | Country Living Grain Mills

Storing corn and wheat is a good idea. You can plant it if you need to.

Honey is supposed to last a long, long time.

If you haven’t found it yet, have a look at the thread “What did you do today to prep?”

Last edited:
Reactions
  • Woke Up Like This
Lentils.

Don't leave your food only in the containers you buy it in; e.g., rice - mice/rats/etc. will get into it.

Put it into a hard plastic container and put that into a storage tote. Mylar won't protect it from mice.

DAMHIK :oops:
Get a new galvanized garbage can with a good fitting lid. I've yet to see a varmint gnaw through one of those but they will get through plastic very easily.

Siglvr

Reactions
Whoh, ya gotta have some Mountain House. Toss it in the corner and forget about it: it's good for 30 years.

And since it hasn't been noted yet: buy a case of whisky or so, along with some Everclear (Washington has it). Good trading material if nothing else.

UPCOMING EVENTS

MRPC Gun Show
Medford Rifle & Pistol Club
1253 E Vilas Rd, Central Point, OR 97502, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun - Pistol April 4th
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun - Rifle April 5th
Cerberus Training Group
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Skill Builder - April 25-26th
Cerberus Training Group

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Supporting Vendor Oregon Arms & Ammunition
    5.00 star(s)
    This is the closest gun close to my house and they have always been super nice. I have bought two guns off them and sold one of mine to them.
    • storminnorm44
  • Supporting Vendor Oregon Arms & Ammunition
    5.00 star(s)
    Went in to pick up some parts for an AR style 10/22 and to start my journey into building an AR by picking up a lower. Staff was super helpful and...
    • Hueco
  • Tri-County Gun Club
    5.00 star(s)
    I've been a member for 6 years, been shooting there (as a guest) for three years before that. I found the Ladies League and was hooked. It's the...
    • PacwestDefense
  • Barkley's Buy-Sell-Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    I have been patronizing this pawn shop for a few years now. Very happy with the deals I find, both firearm and other. Prices for transfers are...
    • trekkerpaul
  • Sharp Shooting Indoor Range & Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    So far I have bought 2 new Sig p938 pistols and a marlin golden 39A from sharp shooting.the staff is very helpfull, nice shooting range,lots of...
    • Xrperry

SUPPORT NORTHWEST FIREARMS

Staff online