JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I inquired about a UPIN at one time. I don't think you can apply for one until you are officially "denied" (and assuming wrongfully denied). Ultimately, I didn't get one because I was never formally denied - just delayed a lot.

You would apply for the UPIN from the FBI. I actually got the form from them but it took a few calls to find someone that knew what I was asking about.

FBI — Gun Checks/NICS

A gun shop owner told me that he see's people with chl and upin get delayed quite often. This is in Oregon though and the state police do bg checks here. CHL doesnt have anything to do with it but its annoying to be standing there with a .40 on your hip and get delayed...

I got cleared last Wednesday for a pistol after a 3 day delay. Went to another shop to buy 2 more Friday and got delayed till yesterday. Bought a AR15 .22 while I was there and they wanted to delay it when I had just been approved an hour before hand. The shop owner told them he had a confirmation number that was an hour old and then they cleared me... Just try to be patient is all I can say I guess. Good luck

I got my UPIN when they first became available because of repeated denials which would be reversed on appeal. At that time you had to have a denial to apply for one and they furnished the paperwork when the denial was reversed. I don't know if that is still the case, search the FBI and BATF site for information. The denial took some time (months) to reverse but as I recall the wait for the UPIN was maybe weeks. There is some cost as they want fingerprints on law enforcement forms done by law enforcement and those won't be free. If you get a denial the appeal will require those prints anyway and those may cover that, don't recall for sure. Since getting the UPIN I allways get a proceed on the call but have had a couple short delays when the dealer uses online computer for the background check. An immediate phone call changed the delay to proceed. My guess is that as it takes a few more minutes using the UPIN the computer program kind of defaults to delay. Just a guess as there is never an explanation. UPIN program gives the feds permission to keep your background records open for the next purchase as normally they would close and have to start from scratch next time and the employee taking the NICS doesn't have access very deep into your records and just goes to delay or deny if they see a problem. My experience.

If you get a denial and have it overturned on appeal you should return to the dealer where it occured and show him the papers and he will change his records to show the denial was reversed. Otherwise it will stay on his records. I say this as no dealer will hold a gun for you for the time a denial usually takes to reverse.

I went to pic up my new XDs monday and got delayed by NICS. Three days later and still no approval. Has anyone else went to the trouble of getting a UPIN number to avoid this hassle? How easy was it? What did you have to do?

Approved today.

Tell them you always get delayed. They won't give you one if you say you "sometimes" get delayed.

People have told me its pretty easy to get.
http://www.fbi.gov/fbi-search?q=upin+application&siteurl=www.fbi.gov%2F&siteurl=www.fbi.gov%2Fabout-us%2Fcjis%2Fnics#output=xml_no_dtd&client=google-csbe&cx=004748461833896749646%3Ae41lgwqry7w&cof=FORID%3A10%3BNB%3A1&ie=UTF-8&siteurl=www.fbi.gov%2Fabout-us%2Fcjis%2Fnics&q=upin+application

I see a lot of posts about denials and delays - what are some of the reasons for them? Just wondering for my own knowledge and nothing else. Heck the last gun I bought I handed them my DL, turned around to look in the gun case, and they called my name and said I was good to go. It was less than one minute.

I see a lot of posts about denials and delays - what are some of the reasons for them? Just wondering for my own knowledge and nothing else. Heck the last gun I bought I handed them my DL, turned around to look in the gun case, and they called my name and said I was good to go. It was less than one minute.

They usually won't give you the reason, just look more closely at your records and change their ruling or not. I have a couple legal issues from 1971 and assume that is the problem. Sometimes it can be an issue of similar names.

Here's what I've been through, last time I picked a gun (a few weeks ago), it was on a Saturday, it was the first time for me to have to come later after waiting at the shop for the call back for about an hour, I was delayed till Monday. However, thinking about prior purchases it turns out that they were all towards the end of the day, around 5ish or so during work days, and ended up with the person on the line giving the confirmation number back to the shop on the same call without having to call back, so my hypothesis is that buying on weekends does seem to get delayed, just my $0.02.

I'm pretty sure they won't tell you why. The only time I've been delayed was the one time that I did not include my SSN on the 4473. My delay was also less than one minute. I suspect - but have no proof - that there is someone with the same name who has caught their attention.

I was delayed for 30 days for a rem 870. Had to call osp and tell them they were going against my rights, deny me or release the firearm. Although in my case they probably ran me and we're like, uh wtf this guys legit....? Must double check lol. It was after a few DUII's, back in a former life. Glad I don't drink anymore!

I got delay earlier this year, 2 different times, from 2 different store. Both times I had to wait 5 weeks to get approve. It was delay due to a misdemeanor charge that was later dropped 10 years ago. It happened in WA, and I was told by OSP that because its from another state, sometimes it takes longer. My last purchase and my conceal carry was approved with no issue.

It is a crap shoot everytime.one week I walked in and purchased 3 handguns on 3 different day's and it took 5 minutes each time.Went back a couple month's later to buy my xdm and I was delayed for 4 WEEKS'S.I called osp numerous time's and never really got a good reason for it.So my ffl called me when he got the proceed number and I picked it up,it's just annoying.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top