JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Maybe people finally have panic fatigue.
Good description.

I have never understood 'panic buying' - especially with some of the odd reasons stated for doing so - especially when some say they are not shooting, or they are 'not going to shoot what they buy until the price comes down' (or something to this effect).

Regardless none of it I have ever read about has made sense - or has ever seemed to result in anything other than 'panic selling' - and at a loss - when the 'panic' is over. Seen it many times...... Kind of like when those who dumped $$$ on reloading equipment - only to post it later for sale - unused.

Good description.

I have never understood 'panic buying' - especially with some of the odd reasons stated for doing so - especially when some say they are not shooting, or they are 'not going to shoot what they buy until the price comes down' (or something to this effect).
I conserve ammo because I don't want to be caught again without enough to survive SHTF. It is a form of hoarding.

Regardless none of it I have ever read about has made sense - or has ever seemed to result in anything other than 'panic selling' - and at a loss - when the 'panic' is over. Seen it many times...... Kind of like when those who dumped $$$ on reloading equipment - only to post it later for sale - unused.
I imagine some people are selling because:

1) They can't resist the prices they could get

2) They need the $

I think its a big case of monkey see monkey do
Same happened with TP.. bob got 100 cases of TP so I need 150

I like to conserve ammo myself but I also don't want to sink so much money into ammo at high prices and then when things return to normal, it's worth half of what I paid. Interesting dynamics this "panic" buying phenomenon has done. Maybe I'm just lazy, but I just never feel like driving around to stand in line just to get a few boxes of ammo for range/practice use. Like many of us who work for a living, we've got other things to do aka house projects/maintenance etc. that take priority. By all means, each person is different so do what you feel is right.

Somehow I have just as much as when I started 2020, and I shoot at least every other week.i also haven't spent more than $20 on a box of 9mm...

I shot up a pretty good amount of .40 over the last year in an attempt to "save" my 9mm and because l "rediscovered" how much l like it... hoping that I'll start seeing it on shelves again soon because I'm getting a little lower than l'd like.

I paid ~ $.50/rd for my latest couple thousand 9mm shipments... l don't want to do that again.

I'm seeing 12ga bird shells (in stock) more often, but still no .223/5.56 or handgun calibers.

"Market research conducted by Southwick Associates indicates last year's demand for ammunition—that drained inventories and kept many shelves empty—will remain strong well into 2021."

njsivmwktax51.jpg

That was smart marketing regardless of the future, plus the general rule is buy low, sell high. I doubt that is what he was thinking about though - more like "if people don't buy now the prices will keep going lower". Just the same, I was saying the same thing when prices were low; buy and stack it deep while it is cheap so you don't have to cry when it is expensive.

With the current market price compared to what I paid for my cache in between "panic markets"… I could have literally paid off the last of my mortgage, but that's going to happen before the end of the year anyway, so I'll be debt free AND still have a cache of ammo!

Sucks to be me. :s0108:

Years ago wally world had winchester white box 100 to a box 9mm for $11 and I would buy them out and head for the range. That was in the 90s and times were pretty good until they come up with the Ban. That was the real beginning of when you better make sure you have what you want before new government actions screw with supply.

Its my opinion all the shortages have been government orchestrated but ymmv.

Last Edited:
I've had pretty good results ordering online.
Shipping is a bit of a pita, but so is spending time and gas driving from store to store in search of a box here and a box there.
When the pipe line fills again, as it always does the best way is order it by the case. Don't let the crowd screaming the sky has fallen get you to believe it. This is not the first and will not be the last. Always follows the same theme. Shelves fill, stuff is on sale, people ignore it.
Ammo stored well will out live the people buying it. When its cheap again buy more than you use. Set aside enough to hold at least a couple years when you can. Another panic will happen again.

Don't know where you shop, but it's been 30-40 cents retail almost this whole pandemic... which is nearly regular price before the panic.
I was looking at the big on line guys, I don't buy from them but look at availability and prices before shipping. It helps me get a better idea of replacement cost if I sell.

Last 9mm I bought at a store was $15 a box for target ammo.

I was looking at the big on line guys, I don't buy from them but look at availability and prices before shipping. It helps me get a better idea of replacement cost if I sell.
Last 9mm I bought at a store was $15 a box for target ammo.
YEAH! I know what you mean!
The same guys who were offering those great deals were the first to rack up the prices to astronomical levels!
I've decided to buy my cases from local shops from here on, since they had my back.
Maybe a few online retailers, since I like the parts business they do.

The spectrum is so wide with some people living in a small space or small budget or baby on the way to people with no limitations on space or finances. My wife used to give me some grief but even she saw the writing on the wall and thinks we need more.

For me I've had more disposable income freed up the past few years. I've lived both sides. Luckily I was able to stock up a little ammo when the prices were normal. Comparably, I have nothing in view of those with 7-10k of a single caliber. Oddly, I see those immigrated here storing large amounts. Maybe they saw this script before.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top