JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hello Siri? Call mom.

How would they (cops) know?

What about your car - many modern ones can't go down the road without being connected.

From the bill http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2017-18/Pdf/Bills/Senate Bills/5289.pdf
(1) A person who uses a personal electronic device while driving a motor vehicle on a public highway is guilty of a traffic infraction and must pay a fine as provided in RCW 46.63.110(3).

" Using your hand or finger to compose, send, read, view, access, browse, ... "

""Personal electronic device" means any portable electronic device that is capable of wireless communication or electronic data retrieval and is not manufactured primarily for hands-free use in a motor vehicle."

Aren't any devices in a car, "personal electronic devices"? Radio / Pandora / Google Maps / remote for the seat heaters ? Not to mention those personal sex therapy devices.

Stupid.

Restrict the measurable behaviour - don't drive over speed limit, don't weave in the lane etc.

I agree. It's a real problem. Sadly, the Knotheads that think they can multi task when driving are often wrong.
Just thought people should be aware of some of the changes.
I assume those that should stop using a phone while driving will continue to ignore the law.:rolleyes:

Last Edited:
More of big government creating more laws on top of other laws. Surprised so many people on this forum are so pro big government. Is it not manslaughter if you kill someone without intent? So if you kill someone and they can prove you are on the phone then you catch a vehicular manslaughter charge.

What makes this new law any different from a new gun law that is not needed.

Oregon is working on one of these that it has been discussed does not exclude Ham and CB radio. I drive a construction dump truck and I can't imagine how we could safely do our jobs on the road without use of our CB's its our only way to communicate with each other and very importantly the Flaggers. But then one can only hope the stupid doesn't rise to the top once again in Salem.

Although truckers have pretty much abandoned CB on the roads. They are still a big safety factor during the winter here in eastern Oregon. Holding a mic and talking on the radio has never been a safety problem. It's the texting and watching/reading that distracts driving.
Our knuckleheads in Salem at this point are NOT going to allow talking on any CB or ham radio. As a licensed ham I can say that proper language and terms are important to transmit during an emergency and as such need regular practice. Even while driving ~ sometimes to a critical area. We are fortunate here in the NW as we don't have some of the natural disasters that plague other parts of the country.
Right now officials are requesting all the help they can muster for the up coming eclipse. As the influx of people is going to exceed infrastructure resources and communications.
As mentioned in the "eclipse" post ALL agencies are scrambling for help
A licensed ham can provide a lot needed information to law agencies at a lot of locations where there is not a officer Check out ARES or Races

The difference is, that this law says that if you are seen touching your phone while driving, including stopped at a light, you can be ticketed.

Texting is already illegal, as is holding a cellphone at the ear. Drivers constantly flout those rules, or evade them by holding a phone between the legs, or just below the chin.
The new bill forbids handheld uses, including composing or reading any kind of message, picture or data. Photography while driving is illegal.
Drivers also cannot use handheld devices while at a stop sign or red-light signal.

Is DUIE a primary offense?

A. Yes. A police officer can pull someone over just for using a handheld device

For all the times I wait for people, and then they turn and I can see they didn't use their signal because they have their GD phone up to their ear! Or the ones on the phone, for five seconds after green before they go. I hope they ticket every one of the inconsiderate pigs! This goes for the ones crawling down the road at 22 in a 30, and you can see them through their back window fiddling with their GPS.

Before it became illegal to text while driving drivers would hold the phone near the top of the steering wheel as they drive. At least they still had visual cues. Not condoning that but at least the drivers heads were still up and facing the road.
Now that these distracted laws aimed squarely at cell phone users have come about, drivers are forced to be sneaky with their cell phone usage while driving and their heads are always down. Thus they lose valuable seconds in reaction time to respond to driving conditions.

Before it became illegal to text while driving drivers would hold the phone near the top of the steering wheel as they drive. At least they still had visual cues. Not condoning that but at least the drivers heads were still up and facing the road.
Now that these distracted laws aimed squarely at cell phone users have come about, drivers are forced to be sneaky with their cell phone usage while driving and their heads are always down. Thus they lose valuable seconds in reaction time to respond to driving conditions.

It's a feel good law, just like the background checks for transfers and all the other BS stuff to help "make us safe"...

People are going to do what people are going to do:rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR