JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
May be a stupid question, but here it goes...I am wondering if a overall length of my cartridge is within SAAMI specs am i good to go?

I HAVE A COUPLE ROUNDS I HAVE THAT WERE .005 SHORTER THAN WERE I WANTED THE TO BULLET SEAT. (Due to adjusting Die)

SHORT CARTRIGES ARE 1.85 -1.86 OVERALL CARTRIGE LENGTH IN SAAMI SPEC.
Specific info
MY BRASS is set @ 35mm on the nose
PROJECTILE IS LAPUA 123GR FMJ

IDEAL LENGTH FOR NOW IS 1.90-1.91

**OTHER THAN ACCURACY AND ABILITY TO CHAMBER AND CYCLE DO YOU SEE ANY ISSUES FIRING THESE?

FORGIVE ME ITS LITERALLY MY FIRST 50 I HAVE EVER LOADED!!

Considering......

1. I didn't even own a caliper for many years while reloading 1000s and 1000s of rounds (both rifle and pistol rounds).

2. A single hair has a diameter of about 0.0047 inches. So, 0.005 inches.....sorry, I'm not overly concerned.

3. I've been lucky (I guess). Or blessed.

The BIGGEST safety factor (for ME)......is about following the recipe in the reloading manual. Most manuals will say to use the "starting load" or it'll say to reduce by x% and slowly work your way up to the maximum (if you're going that far). While also watching for the "signs" of overpressure.

Anyway.......getting back to precise measurements with your caliper. You'll also note that bullets themselves can vary. One brand to the next. Or even within a production lot # and/or product line. Especially with hollow point bullets. Then, things can also change from time to time. Call it tweaking the specs a bit. Sometimes, it's even/also a matter of quality control.

YES....consistency in your ammo makes for better accuracy. But, there is a limit. And many times it's due to many other factors (besides just your ammo).

Good luck with your new hobby/endeavor.

Aloha, Mark

PS.......
LOL......I used my M-1 eyeball for these.

1663894052678.jpeg

9mm reloads.
Yup....it passed the plop test. BUT, But, but......it didn't feed from the magazine worth a dam.

So.....make sure that your ammo will also feed from the magazine, chamber, fire, extract and eject before you call, "SUCCESS".

Last Edited:
MY BRASS is set @ 35mm on the nose
assuming you mean your brass trim length? then this is out of sammi spec, too long. Not by much and it will depend on your chamber but if your chamber was made to the minimum of 35mm you might have some interference and maybe a safety issue.

Im also not certain why measuring in metric?

Confused on the measurements. First is 0.005 then you give 1.85 and 1.90. 0.005" will not make a difference. 0.050" May start to make a difference.

Don't confuse SAAMI OAL with cartridge OAL. SAAMI length is used for things such as fitting in the magazine. Cartridge OAL is typically limited to the lesser of SAAMI length or maximum length the cartridge can be before the bullet engages the lands. Most of the time SAAMI OAL governs. However, short lead chambers or bullets very wide out front can govern max length.

For rifles, the slender cartridge usually allows good reliability for semi-autos. Semi auto pistols can be very picky about cartridge OAL and bullet profile because of the short and fat cartridge and angle of feeding.

Last Edited:
0.892 is the length of the lapua bullet and according to that length it depends on the powder you used and what grain you loaded it with if you are within safe limits.

Sorry may have confused myself..
(I was working off my memory on the case length. Mixing numbers. Prob thinking the 7 62×35 ) I will go and double check my #s I all parts.
I do know brass is good I have ran them through case trim die..I am going to repost correct info
Or just delete and start over.lol

Last Edited:
assuming you mean your brass trim length? then this is out of sammi spec, too long. Not by much and it will depend on your chamber but if your chamber was made to the minimum of 35mm you might have some interference and maybe a safety issue.

Im also not certain why measuring in metric?
sorry 1.35 trimmed, my total bad

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads