JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sometime in the next week I'm going to get a pot, a couple molds (9mm and .40 S&W), and some lead from RotoMetals (Lyman #2). The pot is a Lee 20# pot with bottom pour and the molds are Lee molds. I have no other equipment for this and I've never cast bullets myself nor seen it done in person. I'm interested in guides and videos experienced people think are good. Definitely interested in hearing about disasters and how to avoid them. Interested in opinions on whether the lead I got is a decent choice or if I should think about something else. Basically, I'm a total noob about to do something moderately dangerous and I'd like info.

Wear eye protection, a good hat, gauntlet-style gloves or good quality work gloves, some kind of an apron and solid leather shoes - NOT thongs or anything made of plastic - just in case!

If you can do it outside, then do it outside. Or else have plenty of ventilation.

There are plenty of good movies on Youtube about casting. A decent casting thermometer is also a good idea. Flux can be just beeswax - which is what I use - or something with a fancy name.

You'll need a large folded old towel to catch the bullets on - don't try and pick them up to move them around - they stay hot for a lot longer than you think.

And keep ANY kind of moisture well away from the process - water flashes instantly into steam - which occupies 1700 times the volume it did when it was water - it will explode everywhere, including over you. IOW, make sure that the lead you are melting is bone-dry before you try and put it in the pot.

That'll do to be getting on with....................

Wear eye protection, a good hat, gauntlet-style gloves or good quality work gloves, some kind of an apron and solid leather shoes - NOT thongs or anything made of plastic - just in case!

If you can do it outside, then do it outside. Or else have plenty of ventilation.

There are plenty of good movies on Youtube about casting. A decent casting thermometer is also a good idea. Flux can be just beeswax - which is what I use - or something with a fancy name.

You'll need a large folded old towel to catch the bullets on - don't try and pick them up to move them around - they stay hot for a lot longer than you think.

And keep ANY kind of moisture well away from the process - water flashes instantly into steam - which occupies 1700 times the volume it did when it was water - it will explode everywhere, including over you. IOW, make sure that the lead you are melting is bone-dry before you try and put it in the pot.

That'll do to be getting on with....................

Although water is actually an excellent refrigerant, that 1700x vapor expansion is precisely why it isn't used in closed loop mechanically driven refrigeration systems.

Imagine a high pressure 1/2"diameter liquid line into an evaporator coil, and a (roughly) 800" (66.6') diameter vapor line coming out of it! :eek:

My first time I had trouble with the mold not being hot enough, but I just started using an electric hot plate like in the video above. Once you're rolling, the mold usually stays hot enough, but when you're starting out and working out the bugs in your process, it can be slow, and the mold can cool down between pours.

THIS guy is THE tops - easy to listen too, as well. I commend him to you all, even experienced casters.............

I've always used a dipper just like that guy. I only use single and double cavity molds though.
If you got 6 cavity molds, don't fill up a cold or warmish mold up, twiddle your thumbs and then try to break the sprues.. you will break the mold.
Preheat the mold, then fill one cavity, closest to the sprue plate pivot, open and dump it, then do two and so on until it's HOT.
I dont use a mallet or stick to open the sprue, I use my gloved hand right after the sprue freezes.

Be sure to smoke the molds, you want a nice layer of black carbon from a match to coat both halves of the cavities. Will make for a smooth release and more wrinkle free projectiles...

The first boolets will look horrible, keep pouring until you've done several pours, then the mold
Is heated up and they should be pristine.

Have you looked into sizing and lubing options yet or possibly poly coating?

Not yet -- would very much like to learn the poly coating process.

EDIT: well, years ago I used to load almost solely with hard cast lead (38s, 45s, 9mm) and never had an issue with them -- liked them -- and so I should look into that process too. Probably easier?

Sometime in the next week I'm going to get a pot, a couple molds (9mm and .40 S&W), and some lead from RotoMetals (Lyman #2). The pot is a Lee 20# pot with bottom pour and the molds are Lee molds. I have no other equipment for this and I've never cast bullets myself nor seen it done in person. I'm interested in guides and videos experienced people think are good. Definitely interested in hearing about disasters and how to avoid them. Interested in opinions on whether the lead I got is a decent choice or if I should think about something else. Basically, I'm a total noob about to do something moderately dangerous and I'd like info.

Man. WUT, things in you life must be pretty uncomplicated at this point?

But-then, I was never going to load shouldered rifle rounds.o_O

Looking forward to following this thread. It should be interesting. Just don't burn yourself. That's not interesting. ;)

... If you got 6 cavity molds, don't fill up a cold or warmish mold up, twiddle your thumbs and then try to break the sprues.. you will break the mold.
Preheat the mold, then fill one cavity, closest to the sprue plate pivot, open and dump it, then do two and so on until it's HOT.
I dont use a mallet or stick to open the sprue, I use my gloved hand right after the sprue freezes.

My order was getting costly so I bought two cavity molds instead of six cavity molds -- I was hitting a psychological barrier I didn't want to cross.

I'll definitely try that -- one cavity at a time to help with heating.

When my fishing partner and I made lead weights, he would take a candle with a long wick and hold the pre warmed opened mold over the burning candle and put a layer of black soot inside. Worked like a charm to start the ball rolling.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews