JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i build my own but out of the ones listed id go s&w or ruger.

aero precision makes a good entry level AR too.

mags(no particular order)
USGI
USGI w/magpul followers
Magpul
Lancer
Hexmag

I don't have an opinion on the Del-Ton, I've been kind of preoccupied with some others and it didn't come up. And anyway, I'm the new guy and I don't know very much about anything. ;)

Buy a complete AR that has a warranty.
Take it home and shoot it. If it works, it is good to go.
Don't shoot russian ammo out of it. Dirt and powder will gunk up the action.
Clean it after every range day
As I suggested, the AR is a battle rifle system with interchangable parts.
Introduction to the service rifle and maintenance
Function check M-16A2.JPG
Spare parts to keep on hand
lower parts kit
Firing pin, firing pin retaining pin
Extractor, extractor pin

For budget AR uppers I stick with 416R stainless. It works like a chrome lined chamber, has a slicker surface than melonite or nitride. I have zero interest in those coatings for that reason. And go with chrome lined hammer forged 4150V, something like Palmetto's FN 'premium' uppers for guns you plan on using to lay down some serious suppressive fire with. If you want a reliable, accurate long range AR upper, get a fluted stainless bull barrel with a 1 moa (or better) guarantee from the maker. Palmetto is hit n' miss with quality and performance, PSA is like a box of chocolates. CBC Industries is also hit n' miss but they atleast answer emails and go above n' beyond to help if something is wrong. Just don't expect to receive a safe queen from either of those 2 companies, they're kinda rough on their AR uppers. Expect some scratches even if it's not a 'blem'. The one Radical Firearms 16" Socom upper I had fit loose on my lower, much looser than the others. It was also heavier than uppers in the same price range. The free float aluminum handguard was too heavy for what it was. They need to drill some more holes to bring the weight down! And I'm not a fan of M4 barrel profiles.

Last Edited:
For budget AR uppers I stick with 416R stainless. It works like a chrome lined chamber, has a slicker surface than melonite or nitride. I have zero interest in those coatings for that reason. And go with chrome lined hammer forged 4150V, something like Palmetto's FN 'premium' uppers for guns you plan on using to lay down some serious suppressive fire with. If you want a reliable, accurate long range AR upper, get a fluted stainless bull barrel with a 1 moa (or better) guarantee from the maker. Palmetto is hit n' miss with quality and performance, PSA is like a box of chocolates. CBC Industries is also hit n' miss but they atleast answer emails and go above n' beyond to help if something is wrong.
Stainless is always a reliable. Not as lasting as chrome lined but still great barrels for throat erosion. The problem with melonite is not all treatments go that deep.

Colt 6720 is the only one on that list I'd buy, but if you are really only going to get one (yeah right) I'd recommend a 16" mid-length with a free float handguard and low profile gas block from either BCM or SIONICS.

Right now, I'd lean to SIONICS because I prefer M-LOK over KeyMod, however, later this year BCM will bring out their KMR in M-LOK and Picatinny rails.

I think I want to get a decent 80% lower and build the loaner. An acquaintance has a milling machine and is willing to guide me through the process.
Now I have to research 80% lowers. Dammit. ;)

Colt 6720 is the only one on that list I'd buy, but if you are really only going to get one (yeah right) I'd recommend a 16" mid-length with a free float handguard and low profile gas block from either BCM or SIONICS.

Right now, I'd lean to SIONICS because I prefer M-LOK over KeyMod, however, later this year BCM will bring out their KMR in M-LOK and Picatinny rails.
It will have to be MLR not KMR :D

It's good to see BCM get away from their Keymod-only thing.
Never could warm up to Keymod.....reminds me of warehouse pallet racking....same concept.

When you're in commercial construction you see a lot of warehouse pallet racking and engineered wood products.
Makes Keymod and laminated (plywood) stocks a complete non-starter....some folks love 'em though !

Last Edited:
It will have to be MLR not KMR :D

It's good to see BCM get away from their Keymod-only thing.
Never could warm up to Keymod.....reminds me of warehouse pallet racking....same concept.
I have avoided them in the past because of there keymod only. I do not know what it is, but I cannot stand the look of keymod, MLOK all the way for me.

I think I want to get a decent 80% lower and build the loaner. An acquaintance has a milling machine and is willing to guide me through the process.
Now I have to research 80% lowers. Dammit. ;)

Don't build an 80% for your first AR, (especially if you are only you are only going to have one) you'll be better off buying a firearm assembled by a reputable manufacturer and using it to educate yourself before you build.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads