JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm new to the AR platform so I'm researching some models and I'm hoping some of the more knowledgeable here would help me out.
I've always been more comfortable with M1 type operating systems so this is a big change. I've pretty much narrowed the choice down and that's where I need your help. I don't have a big budget, but my selections are in my price range. This rifle will be my SHTF rifle if it becomes necessary, so it has to be solid and dependable.
Here's what I've come to and I'd appreciate your input.

Colt 6720
Bushmaster XM15
Armalite Defender
S&W M&P15
Ruger AR556
Savage MSR (MSR Patrol or maybe the MSR Recon)
Springfield Armory Saint

I'm leaning towards the lightweight Colt, but they all seem pretty decent and If I can save some money that would allow more cash for ammo and extra's.

I also need input on quality mags.

Thanks Gents.

I'm new to the AR platform so I'm researching some models and I'm hoping some of the more knowledgeable here would help me out.
I've always been more comfortable with M1 type operating systems so this is a big change. I've pretty much narrowed the choice down and that's where I need your help. I don't have a big budget, but my selections are in my price range. This rifle will be my SHTF rifle if it becomes necessary, so it has to be solid and dependable.
Here's what I've come to and I'd appreciate your input.

Colt 6720
Bushmaster XM15
Armalite Defender
S&W M&P15
Ruger AR556
Savage MSR (MSR Patrol or maybe the MSR Recon)
Springfield Armory Saint

I'm leaning towards the lightweight Colt, but they all seem pretty decent and If I can save some money that would allow more cash for ammo and extra's.

I also need input on quality mags.

Thanks Gents.

I've owned versions or exact models of each. I would go with the m&p or Ruger 556 and spend the rest of the money on ammo and a good reputable training class. Colts and armalite will hold value better but all will be just fine to 500 yards +/- . Aside from ammo I see alot if people forget about slings and sling points. Can't even count how many people I've seen at the range that must hold there weapon at all times, not great for a shtf scenario imo.

Agreed. And as far as mags, Magpul PMags, Aluminum GI mags with Magpul followers and Lancer mags all work pretty well IMHO. I run PMags because they are cheap and readily available.

For the price I would go with the Ruger 556...or you could check out PSA and build your own. Think of it as intro to the AR platform and you get to build the gun the way you would like it, know the parts, etc. (or you could just order a built upper and lower). I would also add 10-20 PMAGS or USGI with Magpul followers, and spend the rest on ammo.

+1 for the training class & sling

I would also check out Amazon.com : FieldSport Micro Red Dot Sight, Precision Red Dot Only No Green : Sports & Outdoors

I have 2 and mine have functioned perfectly on a .300 BO and 5.56...there is a torture test done by 704 tactical on YT as well.

IMG_0111.PNG

Colt 6720 (it's a Colt but falls under my Disclaimer.....long skinny barrel)
Bushmaster XM15 (NO)
Armalite Defender (see Disclaimer and not the Armalite of old)
S&W M&P15 (popular see Disclaimer)
Ruger AR556 (popular and may be your best budget gun in the list)
Savage MSR (MSR Patrol or maybe the MSR Recon) it's a 16" mid-gasser
Springfield Armory Saint (If someone was going to give me one on the list, I'd take this one)
Disclaimer
(if you are new to AR's you may not understand gas system lengths and/or corresponding barrel lengths)
I just have never warmed up to the concept of a carbine-gassed 16"
It just looks weird to me with all that barrel hangin' out past the FSB.
And they look doubly weird if they have a M203 cut out.
Entry level mfrs like them I think because dwell time is long and they will run almost any ammo.
Probably the most common configuration in the civilian AR market, but I'm not a fan.

Best Mags: (not in any order)
USGI (Okay, NHMTG)
Pmag
Lancer

Ditto on all points.

I have had really bad luck with el cheapo mags. Now I stick with Magpul. Have also bought some Amend2 mags... they are great and nearly indestructible. If you find some, try them, or order online at the Amend2 website.

If I was to buy one off your list, hands down it would be the Savage MSR recon. It's by far the best looking IMO, and it has a great barrel. As with any Rifle, #1 important component is the barrel and savage is known for accurate quality barrels.. the MSR is 5r button rifled and QPQ treated. It has a polished trigger too.
I will probably never buy a factory made AR... I like building them too much, but I've been wanting to try a MSR since they released them.

So the Colt's pencil barrel is a negative? Too much heat build up? I thought the profile was a plus since I don't plan on adding a grenade launcher and it's a half pound lighter than the 6920. No?

So Bushmaster and Armalite are no longer quality manufacturers? If so, that leaves me with the Colt, the Ruger, M&P, MSR and the Saint if I decide to blow a bit more money.

Just so you know, I've been researching these and have been to assorted forums including ARF.com so I wouldn't annoy you guys with dumb questions. I appreciate your time and expertise.

IMHO..........if I'm a newbie and only getting one AR.

Then the simple no brainer answer is.........COLT. You pick the configuration you like.

Why?

History and resale.

When I think of firearms.........say Civil War?

COLT 1851 or 1860 revolver.

Indian Wars and the Spanish American War?

COLT SAA (Peacemaker, mod 1873)

WW1?

COLT M1911

WW2?

COLT M1911A1

Viet Nam?

COLT M16A1 (AR15 SP1 or AR15-A1)

Desert Storm?

COLT M16A2 (AR15-A2)

Iraq/Afghanistan?

COLT M4 (AR15 Mod#6920)

See how that works?

Then.........

IF you can remember the '94 AWB......well, I sold many a COLT AR15 for big $$$$ and they were really easy to move compared to the lesser named brands (or Frankenstein ARs). Mind you that I'm not saying that history will repeat itself or that COLT is THE BEST OF ANY OF THE OTHER MFNs OUT THERE. I'm just saying that more than likely..........when it's time to sell...........there will probably be a buyer who knows the name and product. Thus, it sort of sells itself.

Aloha, Mark

I'm going to pass on the Saint for various and sundry reasons, so that leaves the M&P, Ruger, MSR Recon and the Colt.
The reviews on the Recon are excellent, but it's so new I wonder how it will ultimately perform. I'm sure the Ruger will be excellent. I'm a long time Ruger guy and have always been happy with the brand whether handgun or rifle. Now I'm going to have to check out the Colt 6920 again but it's more money.

Does anyone else have any feedback on the 6720 pencil barrel?

So the Colt's pencil barrel is a negative? Too much heat build up? I thought the profile was a plus since I don't plan on adding a grenade launcher and it's a half pound lighter than the 6920. No?
The Colt is a solid choice, no doubt, in terms of performance and resale.
It's just this iteration looks beyond ridiculous to me with that pencil barrel sticking way out there like that.
In other words, there is not a military version of this configuration.
Purely aesthetics. I'm sure they are loved by some.

So Bushmaster and Armalite are no longer quality manufacturers? If so, that leaves me with the Colt, the Ruger, M&P, MSR and the Saint if I decide to blow a bit more money.
They don't have the luster they once had when it was "ABC".
I think Armalite would have more value in so far as resale.

Just so you know, I've been researching these and have been to assorted forums including ARF.com so I wouldn't annoy you guys with dumb questions. I appreciate your time and expertise.
Bring on all the questions.
You might get better answers here than on arfcom.

I'm not a member there and only check in for research on occasion. Life provides me with plenty of drama without volunteering for it.
I'm having some trouble warming up to the M&P for some reason.

Another plus to the recon is it is already decked out with a nice free float rail, nice grip and buttstock, and something people don't think about when trying to cut cost.. sights. you can spend several hundred more on buis, and furniture to get a less expensive rifle to where you want it.... and ARs are like wives, or teenage daughters.. they have the tendency to get you to buy them new "jewelry".

I have owned several "pencil barrelled" COLT carbines. Hey, even though I mostly carried it on patrol (in the trunk of my car). I was glad that if I had to go on a "long hike one day" or if I was stuck at a static post. Well, the weight wasn't gonna make me want to leave it behind.

If I was going for a longer range accuracy rifle (or NM rifle).....I'd go for the full sized "heavy barrel" COLT.

When you think about it....the early M16 also had a "pencil barrel."

Aloha, Mark

ARF.com is full of fanboys and tactical elitest bubblegum hats... The only forums that I actually feel welcome are here and Spyderco. AH-ery is quickly squashed in both places.

I'm not a member there and only check in for research on occasion. Life provides me with plenty of drama without volunteering for it.
I'm having some trouble warming up to the M&P for some reason.
The M&P is a pretty generic carbine-gassed 16"
Possibly the most popular 1st AR for a lot of folks because :

Attractive price
Known brand
A carbine-gassed 16" doesn't matter and probably isn't even on the radar screen as a consideration

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top