JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Stag is a good option.
They are the civilian brand for Continental Machine & Tool [CMT] a government contractor.
Yes. I advocate for them. They are what I call a parts bin company; as in they don't care that rifles come out of the box cosmetically inferior to other brands safe queen owners like.

I trust them though. Their staking isn't up to my standards on the end plate but maybe they are for others? Stag end plates are highly recommended...many others use soft junk metal that shears trying to get a good staking. Stag ones do not and can take some heavy, deep, and long staking.

Stag imo is consistent with gas tube to gas key mating. All stags I have felt pass the drop test and the hand feel test. Out of all my ar's, my stag model 1 is the one I trust most.

Thank you all.

The Saint is on the extreme of my budget and around fifty bucks more than the Colt. It seems pretty nice, but SA shat on IL gun folks for money. Business or not, you don't screw over your people. So, I may be goofy but I don't feel much like patronizing them right now.

Maybe you could answer a question? The MSR Recon has a free float barrel; is that practical for a SHTF firearm? I mean would it stand up to abuse?

The Bushmaster M4A3 Patrolman is available for $499. at CDNN and the MSR Patrol is $501. at Bud's. Any thoughts between those two?

I should explain. I'm going to buy two rifles, one for me and one for someone else to possibly use if necessary. This rifle while needing to be solid and dependable, won't get the hard use mine will.

Thanks for the heads up about Stag and Aero, I'll check them out.

Thank you all.

The Saint is on the extreme of my budget and around fifty bucks more than the Colt. It seems pretty nice, but SA shat on IL gun folks for money. Business or not, you don't screw over your people. So, I may be goofy but I don't feel much like patronizing them right now.
It was on your list, that's why it was commented on.

Maybe you could answer a question? The MSR Recon has a free float barrel; is that practical for a SHTF firearm? I mean would it stand up to abuse?
Has more to do with the handguard than the barrel.
The barrel anchors via a barrel nut no matter what the handguard is.
A good free float handguard is typically anchored very well to the upper receiver.

The Bushmaster M4A3 Patrolman is available for $499. at CDNN and the MSR Patrol is $501. at Bud's. Any thoughts between those two?
Feet held to fire, I'd go MSR.

Yeah, Direct Drive I mentioned the Saint and it has appeal but then someone mentioned the Illinois thing and it put me off. I really don't have anything against SA and regret ever selling my Scout Squad but... Thanks for the hand guard info as well.
This is excellent gents, I appreciate it.

I have a 6920 and a M&P 15 sport II, in my opinion, the Smith feels better quality and balances better. I prefer the Sport II over all of my ARs. It just seems to feel better in hand and has never given me any grief or issues. YMMV

+1 on the sport or Ruger. Use the extra money on accessories, ammo and more ammo. My sport hasn't failed me yet.

You will love it and it will lead to more in the safe just a heads up. :)

Ditto on all points.

I have had really bad luck with el cheapo mags. Now I stick with Magpul. Have also bought some Amend2 mags... they are great and nearly indestructible. If you find some, try them, or order online at the Amend2 website.

Haven't tried them yet, but I keep seeing this add from Brownell's on NWFA:

Amend2.JPG

Gog, some mag info. For 1/7 twist barrels using heavy ammo such as 68-77 grain bullets, d&h and the Brownells gi mags with anti tilt fallower, both have about an extra 10+ thousandths inside the body where as Magpuls can have the bullet drag. I love Magpuls but run the other two brands for heavy loads.

I think that upon consideration I'm going to wait for to buy the loaner and just opt for a Colt. The 6920 can be had for $850. the 6720 is about a hundred less. Do I gain much more with the 6920? The idea of a lighter weight carbine has its appeal, but I really want to do this only once. I'm too old to screw around at this point so if it's worth it I'll spring.
Thoughts?

BTW, I think I'll go for the M&P for the loaner next month or so.

I think that upon consideration I'm going to wait for to buy the loaner and just opt for a Colt. The 6920 can be had for $850. the 6720 is about a hundred less. Do I gain much more with the 6920? The idea of a lighter weight carbine has its appeal, but I really want to do this only once. I'm too old to screw around at this point so if it's worth it I'll spring.
Thoughts?

BTW, I think I'll go for the M&P for the loaner next month or so.
In my previous post I did not mean to say Colt was trash, just the bushmaster. You should receive a rifle gtg. If you get any issues it's probably just a half assed staked endplate. I have had issues with newer Colt charging handles being out of spec but both are easy fixes at home. I say good for you and blast away.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top