JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I got a new gun safe from Costco - fireproof/waterproof and I see most people recommending a dehumidifier and also recommending a humidity range of 40-60%. I bought a hygrometer and an Eva-Dry mini dehumidifier. However, I haven't used the dehumidifier yet as the humidity in the safe is sitting around 46% for the past 24 hours.

Should I run the dehumidifier regardless or is it fine not too? I don't have any wood stocks, but I've read there is also a concern from being over-dry.

mine is in the house, runs around 40%-50% humidity most of the time no problems at all in nearly 30 years. most dehumidifiers draw moisture to the safe in my opinion.

I just use a large rechargeable desiccant pack. And don't open the safe 20 times per day. I've had zero ferrous metal corrosion, though I can't seem to stop copper from oxidizing in bores. I have less than no clue about the humidity level

I was told by Jerry @ NW Safe Sales, that if the safe is stored in a conditioned space, then don't worry about it.

I have had my safe in the house since last February and have had no issues. After a weekend of hunting in the Oregon coast range, I make sure my weapons are dry before a stick them back in the safe.

Not a speck of rust anywhere.

So I got a new gun safe from Costco - fireproof/waterproof and I see most people recommending a dehumidifier and also recommending a humidity range of 40-60%. I bought a hygrometer and an Eva-Dry mini dehumidifier. However, I haven't used the dehumidifier yet as the humidity in the safe is sitting around 46% for the past 24 hours.

Should I run the dehumidifier regardless or is it fine not too? I don't have any wood stocks, but I've read there is also a concern from being over-dry.
Does your safe have wiring to put a golden rod inside? I have one safe without electrical hookup so I just put a rechargeable eve-dryer in that safe. I also bought some battery powered LED lights that I hung inside around the safe door and it has a motion detector so when I open the safe the LED light automatically come on.

I was told by Jerry @ NW Safe Sales, that if the safe is stored in a conditioned space, then don't worry about it.

I have had my safe in the house since last February and have had no issues. After a weekend of hunting in the Oregon coast range, I make sure my weapons are dry before a stick them back in the safe.

Not a speck of rust anywhere.
Good to note. Ya, it's inside the house, where the temp and humidity are pretty consistent, so I'm leaning towards it not being absolutely necessary. I'll continue to monitor with the sensor, but doesn't seem like it will be much of an issue. I appreciate the comment.

Does your safe have wiring to put a golden rod inside? I have one safe without electrical hookup so I just put a rechargeable eve-dryer in that safe. I also bought some battery powered LED lights that I hung inside around the safe door and it has a motion detector so when I open the safe the LED light automatically come on.
It does have wiring and LED lights, but the location in the closet doesn't have an outlet. I do use a power bank which runs the lights fine. And ya, picked up an eva-dry in case it's needed, but so far it's looking like the humidity is holding fine in the safe at 46%.

I use three of the Eva-Dry's in mine. I also mimick @ pjallenjr72 in if my firearm has been outside in the wet, or even just cold, I'll let it "stabilize" for a day in the corner before I put it back in the safe.

It does have wiring and LED lights, but the location in the closet doesn't have an outlet. I do use a power bank which runs the lights fine. And ya, picked up an eva-dry in case it's needed, but so far it's looking like the humidity is holding fine in the safe at 46%.
My safe holds between 48%-50% humidity.

I know this is an older thread - I was searching humidity this morning to see what other people might be observing in their safes.

I bought this temperature and humidity sensor about a year ago and it works well. I'm averaging about 43% humidity.

I've had two different safes over the last few decades, both inside the house. Zero rust or moisture problems; they live in the same heated space as I do, no maintenance required.

As a pretty fun hobby tie in, I maintain a personal weather station. This gives me access to aux sensors I can put all over the place, including temp and humidity. I have one sensor in the storage room, one for the greenhouse and one for the deep freezer, as just some examples. All are set to send me text alerts if parameters are out of bounds.

Personal weather stations have greatly come down in prince over the last decade, if you can afford a new cheapo trunk gun you can afford a decent weather station kit. Look around for the model that supports your other hobbies and needs (soil moisture monitoring, dangerous atmosphere detection, etc.) and go to town monitoring everything.

If you are looking for a recommendation Ambient Weather has a very extendable kit with all kinds of available extras, thought their cheaper stations are not the most accurate or robust.

When I set my safe up several years ago, I added a PEET dryer/dehumidifier and allowed it to stabilize for 48 hours before adding firearms to the safe. It sits on an inside wall, on a rubber mat in the garage. Although I don't have any measurement for temperature/humidity, I can say there's been zero issues with rust/moisture and the temperature seems pretty consistent, at least to the touch.

YMMV

I've got an Ambient Weather station, as well as Bluetooth hygrometers in my cigar humidors. Pretty sure none of them would work well inside a closed metal box...😎

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top