JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently purchased two new rifles in 308. Background have a couple 223, 30-30, 30-06 rifles.

Couple concerns stand out. The Winchester 308 had a bad stock to they swapped me out a new 6.5 creedmore. I am happy with the new stock but dunno got excited but later started thinking I don't really want a new caliber but kinda want to try the 6.5 but its NIB now.

Second that AR10 is mad heavy. (note the optic is just on there for what ever I took my VCOG off to put on 223). I've been shooting 223 cause my AR15s are alot lighter. With the VCOG on the 223 I am having fun.

So 6.5 NIB keep or sell considering I have other stuff to shoot?

The AR10 I'd take a big loss selling even though it only has like 30 rounds through it.

Not so much about money but yeah money is a concern.

Grow into the AR10 later on when this dang rain stops?

Pardon my rambling.

65 winchester-wilson308.jpg

Well...
What are you wanting to do with the rifles...?
Do they both fill the same niche...or do they each have a different purpose....?

If they fill the same niche / role and you want to sell one...
Keep the one you like better and sell the other one.

If they fulfill different roles / needs or the like...then keep 'em...it ain't like they go bad or stale...:D
Andy

I guess I could do a mid distance day and compare the semi to bolt although not a same caliber match.

I am in a small space and go back and forth thinking I may have too many firearms then I like all the options.

I recently purchased two new rifles in 308. Background have a couple 223, 30-30, 30-06 rifles.

Couple concerns stand out. The Winchester 308 had a bad stock to they swapped me out a new 6.5 creedmore. I am happy with the new stock but dunno got excited but later started thinking I don't really want a new caliber but kinda want to try the 6.5 but its NIB now.

Second that AR10 is mad heavy. (note the optic is just on there for what ever I took my VCOG off to put on 223). I've been shooting 223 cause my AR15s are alot lighter. With the VCOG on the 223 I am having fun.

So 6.5 NIB keep or sell considering I have other stuff to shoot?

The AR10 I'd take a big loss selling even though it only has like 30 rounds through it.

Not so much about money but yeah money is a concern.

Grow into the AR10 later on when this dang rain stops?

Pardon my rambling.

View attachment 1194937
Start drinking. Heavily.

Lool!

I sold/traded a rifle off because the only real difference between it and a rifle I just bought, was the fact that it had a flush mag and the rifle I kept took AR mags. The recipient wanted a rifle with the flush mag, so we both got what we wanted (I added some cash to get the S&W 325 TR he was selling).

I sold two SIG 229s because I felt they were redundant compared to my 226s (of which I have three).

Options are nice. I would keep both rifles for a while to see how you like them. You can always sell them later. But of the two, I would keep the AR10 - even though the Creedmore is interesting, I just don't have a slot that it would fill all that well.

Andy54Hawken is correct. 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor are different (Cleaning ropes are the same so you can save $15 there).

Want to shoot long distance? Both will shoot fine out to 700 or so, but the 6.5CM will reach to a 1,000.

You can hunt with both but the 308 AR will be mighty heavy, plus t=you are limited on the number of rounds you can have in the rifle (usually 3-5). The 6.5 has the hitting power to take down most game (better hunters than I can talk about that).

Ammo for both is readily available. Both are loadable.

Much is personal preference. Good luck with either one or both

Are you talking specifically the two new rifles? Or are you considering changing up with the old ones as well? I'm a fan of .308 over 30-06, but that is a preference and nothing else. I also don't own either caliber. They do have a lot of overlapping characteristics.

I don't know what's right for you, but for me. Getting into a new caliber right now kind of sucks (I just moved on from .308 to .300 blackout) due to ammo availability.

The 6.5 seems to be all the rage these days for precision and/or long distance, as well as hunting. Do you have a need for any of those things?

If you already run a 5.56 as a "battle rifle" there may be less need for an AR 10, and that's what encourages my transition from .308 (as well as suppressors). You could also get a 6.5 upper for the AR10 and have a caliber "set"

Sorry, I rambled too

If you already run a 5.56 as a "battle rifle" there may be less need for an AR 10, and that's what encourages my transition from .308 (as well as suppressors).
To me (i.e., IMO) anything 5.56/5.45 or 7.62x39 is an intermediate infantry rifle. Something like 7.62x51 is a full power "battle rifle". I can see a use for both, with the full power calibers being something to use when entrenched behind fortifications, to reach out beyond 300 yards.

Not that I want such scenarios to happen, but they are part of my preps.

You could also get a 6.5 upper for the AR10 and have a caliber "set"
Which is another plus for the AR-10 - for me. I can't really hunt due to my health, and certainly not anywhere that the 6.5 would benefit me over a 7.62x51 rifle (nor am I a good enough shot to take advantage of the extra distance, much less a hunter). But if SHTF, having a relatively lightweight rifle (compared to the .50 BMG AR50 I used to own) that can reach out to 1km, might prove useful.

You can shoot 6.5 out of your AR10 with a new upper if ever you chose to. Its nice to have options.. cannot do so the other away around. However the AR10 will probably sell faster if priced competitively.

Id say keep the AR10..
mine is heavy as hell because of the wide bipod, A2 stock, A2 weight and its optic. But its a solid shooter. And the idea of getting a 6.5 upper (when on sale) has me tempted to pull the trigger.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top