JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Oregon: Anti-Gun Bills Aimed at Law-Abiding Citizens to be Heard on Friday,
April 5

Your action is needed now
Friday, April 5 at 8:30am, a multitude of anti-gun bills will be heard in the Oregon state Senate Judiciary Committee. These bills attempt to create a “solution” to a non-existent problem and instead create a new class of criminals amongst otherwise law-abiding citizens.

Senate Bill 347 – Makes it a Class C Felony for a concealed handgun license (CHL) holder to carry a firearm onto school grounds unless the school district or other entity controlling the school grounds has an adopted written policy authorizing an exemption for CHL holders.

Senate Bill 699 – Bans concealed handgun license (CHL) holders from carrying in the state Capitol unless they receive written permission from the Legislative Administrator.

Senate Bill 700 – Criminalizes private transfers of firearms with others, excluding immediate family. Such background checks would either have to be conducted directly through the Department of State Police or through a licensed gun dealer, who may charge an unspecified fee. What’s more, the Department of State Police would be required to maintain the background information they obtain for a period of five years! Such “universal background checks” are enforced by gun registration that enables future gun confiscation.

Senate Bill 796 – Requires that an individual applying for a Concealed Handgun License must first “pass” a comprehensive firing range test.

Various amendments have been proposed for all four Senate bills but do little to compensate the attack on law-abiding gun owners.

Please call AND e-mail members of the Senate Judiciary Committee and respectfully urge them to OPPOSE these bills.

Senate Judiciary Committee:

Senator Floyd Prozanski (D-4), Chairman
503-986-1704
[email protected]

Senator Betsy Close (R-8), Vice-Chairman
503-986-1708
[email protected]

Senator Jeff Kruse (R-1)
503-986-1701
[email protected]

Senator Arnie Roblan (D-5)
503-986-1705
[email protected]

Senator Jackie Dingfelder (D-23)
503-986-1723
[email protected]

Prozanski wants to add an amendment to SB 347 to allow CHL holders to "check" their weapons in to storage at the school. I seriously wonder how he is smart enough to breathe and talk at the same time. So, someone who OWNS a pistol AND has been through the background check and class to carry that pistol will have to surrender it to a school employee with no background check, no training, probably no experience, and assume liability for that item. GENIUS! How does someone like that get elected?

Prozanski wants to add an amendment to SB 347 to allow CHL holders to "check" their weapons in to storage at the school. I seriously wonder how he is smart enough to breathe and talk at the same time. So, someone who OWNS a pistol AND has been through the background check and class to carry that pistol will have to surrender it to a school employee with no background check, no training, probably no experience, and assume liability for that item. GENIUS! How does someone like that get elected?

Sounds like a recipe to increase negligent discharges. Especially if the people at the school decide they should unload the checked pistols.

That or a school employee who is prohibited from owning a firearm grabs it and now you have supplied a firearm to a felon. Or another parent sees how nice a pistol you have and steals it. Or, Adam Lanza comes in to the school, grabs 4 pistols and starting shooting people while you are all disarmed.

Don't know if it will help but sent all of them this letter.

Dear Sir or Madam,
I am writing to oppose the latest Senate Bills 347, 699, 700 and 796. I have an open mind to common sense solutions to Newtown type tragedies but don't like the recent rash of ill thought out restrictions that will solve nothing.

Concealed carry in Schools and public buildings hasn't been a problem and may have helped in Newtown. This is a solution looking for a problem.

Criminalizing private transfers of firearms without jumping through costly bureaucratic hoops is another burden on law abiding citizens that criminals obviously will ignore.

Frankly this anti-gun owner push is having the opposite effect that you are trying to achieve. People who have never owned a gun before are purchasing in record numbers. Yes, you are responsible for more weapons on the street! Especially the semi- automatics you want to stop.

Gun ownership and a belief in the 2nd Amendment know no party affiliation. When push comes to shove many with left leaning principles in every other way will vote for gun rights over all else. They feel this is an over reach and are paying attention.

Please work on mental health and stop this war on gun owners.

Sincerely,

Just a thought, but hear out this scenario:
Your are a CHL holder, and you obey the "gun-free zone" requests.
Something happens (shooting, robbery, serious fight, etc) and you, or someone close to you, is hurt or killed.
Because you were capable of defending yourself before entering the "gun free zone", but your protection is removed, does that make the establishment liable for the injured/killed?

i.e. does the establishment assume responsibility for protecting everyone (and in this case it also failed to) by restricting the means for individuals to protect themselves. And if someone is hurt/killed who otherwise might have been able to prevent injury/death, could the establishment be sued?

Your are a CHL holder, and you obey the "gun-free zone" requests. Something happens (shooting, robbery, serious fight, etc) and you, or someone close to you, is hurt or killed.

This is something that boggles my mind. Suppose an "Adam Lanza" gets into your school and starts shooting, and everybody else is disarmed - all the teachers, coaches, parents, janitors - everybody's weapons are locked up.

How does that help? Just how? Are we trying to prevent mass accidental discharges at schools, or mass killings?

Even anti-gun people, people who fear and hate guns because they saw them doing bad things in the movies and TV news - how is that possibly logical? What is the purpose of locking all weapons up in a place targeted by mass murderers? Did anyone from the gun control camp give any answer on that, because I honestly want to educate myself?...

Your 3rd paragraph doesn't read right to me.

"Criminalizing private transfers of firearms without jumping through costly bureaucratic hoops is another burden on law abiding citizens that criminals obviously will ignore."

Could be just me. Just saying.

Don't know if it will help but sent all of them this letter.

Dear Sir or Madam,
I am writing to oppose the latest Senate Bills 347, 699, 700 and 796. I have an open mind to common sense solutions to Newtown type tragedies but don't like the recent rash of ill thought out restrictions that will solve nothing.

Concealed carry in Schools and public buildings hasn't been a problem and may have helped in Newtown. This is a solution looking for a problem.

Criminalizing private transfers of firearms without jumping through costly bureaucratic hoops is another burden on law abiding citizens that criminals obviously will ignore.

Frankly this anti-gun owner push is having the opposite effect that you are trying to achieve. People who have never owned a gun before are purchasing in record numbers. Yes, you are responsible for more weapons on the street! Especially the semi- automatics you want to stop.

Gun ownership and a belief in the 2nd Amendment know no party affiliation. When push comes to shove many with left leaning principles in every other way will vote for gun rights over all else. They feel this is an over reach and are paying attention.

Please work on mental health and stop this war on gun owners.

Sincerely,

Excellent letter! Really first rate!

Your 3rd paragraph doesn't read right to me.

"Criminalizing private transfers of firearms without jumping through costly bureaucratic hoops is another burden on law abiding citizens that criminals obviously will ignore."

Could be just me. Just saying.

"unless we jump" ?? I don't know I'm a victim of the public school system.....lets see your letter.

Hi Uban 77, I wote to both Betsy Close and to Jeff Kruse. So Far Kruse is the only one that has written to me and here is what he said "I will without question defend the 2nd Amendment."
If I hear from Betsy Close I'll paste it here.

I did not write to any of the Democrats because I don't know how they feel about our 2nd amendment. I can only hope some may choose to believe in our 2nd amendment rights.
a gun toting liberal

Sen. Roblans response.

Thanks for the email. I can assure you that Senator Roblan will take your concerns under serious consideration in discussions with his colleagues. I've included updates and links below.

A number of constituents in Senator Roblan's district are supportive of SB 700. Said bill:

Senate Bill 700 as replaced by the -14 amendment: Requires Criminal Background Checks

• Requires criminal background checks before guns can be transferred between private parties

• Transfers between family members are exempted under most conditions

• By requiring these checks between private parties, we will reduce the number of criminals obtaining weapons who shouldn't be.

SALEM—Senator Floyd Prozanski "We can respect the Second Amendment while taking action to keep guns out of the hands of those who are irresponsible and law-breaking," said Prozanski. "Keeping our communities and our children safe is a top priority that everyone can get behind. These bills are based on common sense and take reasonable steps to make Oregon safer while protecting civil liberties."

WHO: Senate Judiciary Committee

WHAT: Public Hearings on SB 347, SB 699, SB 700, SB 796 (see below for more information)

WHEN: 8:30 AM to 12:00 PM, Friday, April 5, 2013

WHERE: Hearing Room 50, Oregon State Capitol, Salem, Oregon

DOCUMENTS: Link to bills and amendments on OLIS (https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2013R1/Committees/SJUD/2013-04-05-08-30/Agenda) "I intend to conduct a civil, orderly and respectful hearing in accordance with the Rules of the Senate," said Prozanski.

Please take this opportunity to let your voice be heard. Alternatively, we can submit a copy of your email for consideration.

Rosie Shatkin

Legislative Policy Advisor

Sen. Arnie Roblan, SD 5

(Coos Bay, Florence, Newport, Tillamook)

"I intend to conduct a civil, orderly and respectful hearing in accordance with the Rules of the Senate," said Prozanski"

Does everyone get pre-warned to behave or is it just for us ignorant gun nuts? What a pompous jerk this Prozanski is!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top