JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey fellow reloaders! I just recently jumped from a turret press into the brave new world of progressive reloading. I have historically run Lee equipment finding its cost and long term performance agreeable with my wallet constrictions. Last week I brought home a Lee Loadmaster. Even despite the apparently wide spread negative press about this one, I could actually afford it. It did take several days and several youtube videos to get everything up and running smoothly. I reload for 45acp and nothing else. So I got the press all dialed in for my needs. Finished off my first reloaded 50 rounds. Waiting to get to the range to shoot them. I did rather quickly change out the powder drop after these first rounds were done. Replaced the new-in-box one with my older powder measure. My older one does not dribble powder and the loads are all dropped within my agreeable tolerances. It is a Lee also. I will probably post on this thread from time to time as "news" happens. Please feel free to comment. Thanks. Pops......

Congrats on the LoadMaster. When I started reloading I jumped in with both feet and bought one also. It wasn't that much more than buying a single stage or turret. I started using it in kind of a batch mode.

I bought an extra turret and a Universal Decapping die. When I have a bunch of 9mm, 38s or 223, I put the matching shell plate in and just decap all of them as a batch. Then run the shells through my wet tumbler.

Once clean and dry, I use a RCBS Universal hand priming tool to prime the shells. I tried priming on the LM, but it would flip or they would go in sideways and I was wasting 1 out of 10 of the primers. I really like the Hand primer even though it is slower. I can feel if there is a problem pressing one in. Once primed, I use a one gallon zip-lock bag. Spray some Hornady oneshot lube inside the bag put in 100 shells and zip it up. Then just roll the shells around in the bag. I found this technique on the web some where and it works good for me. The lube just make everything work smoother with the dies.

Next I put the caliber dies in and run the shells around to shape them and bell the shell mouth. I take them off the LM and put the prepped shells in to a loading block (Made mine from maple). I dispense the powder with either a RCBS Little Dandy if they are just plinking rounds, or a Uniflow with the Micrometer to get the exact amount. I like to eyeball that all of the shells have the same level of powder. Once all of the shells have powder and I have looked them over, I hand press in the bullet and place them in the 4th position to seat the bullet and factory crimp in the 5th.

I know I should just do the whole one pull, one bullet thing, but I ended up with a squib load (no powder) early on. Doing it this way just makes me feel more confident in my reloads, lol.

Ron

I too am a Lee fan (for now) and have a classic turret & Lee 1000 that work for me at my stage into reloading.
All my rifle cases are fully prepped by hand before they get "loaded" on the press along with the pistols, they also get cleaned & primed also.
I make sure EVERY case has powder in it before placing the bullet.

Good luck and look forward to your review.;)

I am headed to the range tomorrow [Thursday] to see how the newly loaded 50 rounds perform. If all goes well I will load another 100 rounds and see how that goes. Looking to add some led lights to the frame to increase lighting and visibility of the reloading process. Thanks all.

I am headed to the range tomorrow [Thursday] to see how the newly loaded 50 rounds perform. If all goes well I will load another 100 rounds and see how that goes. Looking to add some led lights to the frame to increase lighting and visibility of the reloading process. Thanks all.

Led lights make a huge difference, I buy led tape in rolls and add it to all of my presses, really let's you see what is going on.

Have fun!

I've had a LoadMaster for a few years now with around 10k rounds of 9mm loaded and very few problems. Check out the Loadmaster forum for lots of advice, tips and tricks. I still have the original powder drop and haven't seen a need to go to the rotary drum. I also haven't had the problems with the primer system that others talk about. I did buy some of the square primer trays but I can work with either. I bought Magic Mikes billet turret, turret stabilizer, and shake brake. All of those make life easier and the turret has a hole in the center for a light.

Over time, you'll develop a scan technique and certain feel to monitor every process as you're pulling the lever. You may also discover what a crimped primer feels like and the consequences of ignoring it.:eek: Pro tip - always wear eye protection and buy two decaping pins at a time to save on shipping! :cool:

Enjoy the LoadMaster. Reloading adds another interesting dimension to the sport.

Not sure why Loadmasters or Lee equipment is given such a bad rap. Every single piece of Lee equipment I have owned, including a loadmaster, has produced reliable, accurate ammunition. What more could you ask for?

Yes I agree with you. I have always had good results with Lee equipment. It is manufactured so as to be affordable to those of us who choose not to spend very big bucks on other reloading equipment. I like it. M'eh, some folks like to drive only fancy new and expensive cars. I'm an old pick up truck kinda guy myself. Even when I could have afforded higher priced reloading equipment I still went with Lee. It has been dependable and first rate for me.

SUCCESS! SUCCESS! SUCCESS!
Got to the range today and shot up all of my Loadmaster learning rounds. They ran perfectly. Came home and cleaned up the 1911s. Then I went to my man cave and started reloading some brand new brass while the ones shot today were in the vibrator getting cleaned. Recently bought some new brass to cover my losses at the indoor range. It has been a long time since I reloaded store bought brass. I has forgotten how "gootentite" [old German word] new brass was. Took awhile as I was compelled to use case lube on it all so it would be slippy enough in the dies. After dinner the previously shot brass in the cleaner was ready. Reloaded 100 rounds of it in 20 minutes! Very happy with the results. {Note to self: only buy once fired range brass going forward}. I have long imagined a day where I could shoot AND reload all the brass on the same day. Today that goal came to fruition. Lee has hit another home run with me - the Loadmaster!

Nice.

I have all Lee as well. Single, turret and progressive.

Only when loading large quantities does the Loadmaster get brought out. Sure is nice though!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top