JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Forgot to add. Tikka T3X compact. Shorter lop. Shorter more handy barrel. .223, .243, .308, 7mm-08 and 6.5 chambering. I'd personally pick .308 due to ammo availability. 6.5 is a close second with less recoil and slightly better ballistics (not a big deal under 400 yards). I can tell you this, .223 will kill the heck outta deer if that is your main target. It can take elk with the right bullet and range. But the best thing about .223 is the ammo availability and cost of practice. If you can, let her shoot some and decide a caliber. Then have her handle and pick a rifle. But you cannot go wrong for overall functions with tikka :)
I have never heard of anyone using a 223 as a dedicated elk rifle. In some states a 223 is not a legal caliber to hunt elk. I would suggest going larger if elk is what you are after.

The sweet spot for a deer cartridge is .257 to .264 (6.5mm). No need to go larger and recoil is nice and smooth.

25-06
.260 Remington
6.5 Creedmore

Good point. But is assuming the particular woman is average or under average in size for a woman, therefore smaller than the average male.

I'm 5' 8" after shrinking a little. And I have long arms. When I pick up a random rifle in a gun store its more likely to be too small for me than too big with a LOP uncomfortably short.

@NobullSKS -- How tall is your wife?
At least 5'10… thick build. This thread has done better than most I post. I'll have some reading to do here and show some appreciation for each poster. Cool. It's been about 20-25 years since she last took any game. I believe a .243 her dad had for her in her teens. He was an avid hunter. She considers his opinion but yeah still thinking it through. More to come. I'm training an apprentice today so I'll get back through these comments on the clock…. Thank you all

At least 5'10… thick build. This thread has done better than most I post. I'll have some reading to do here and show some appreciation for each poster. Cool. It's been about 20-25 years since she last took any game. I believe a .243 her dad had for her in her teens. He was an avid hunter. She considers his opinion but yeah still thinking it through. More to come. I'm training an apprentice today so I'll get back through these comments on the clock…. Thank you all
Okay. Reset everyone. @NobullSKS 's wife is 5' 10" and built sturdy, not skinny. So forget about the youth rifles. Standard rifles will fit her fine. And she is not only an experienced shooter. She also is an experienced hunter, and had her own .243 rifle as a kid.

Presumably the first question is, would she like another .243? Or would she rather have something more powerful and more versatile but with more recoil?

1697119371993.jpeg

I'm interested in the Tikka myself. My reasons? For starters, among the very accurate precision hunting rifles it seems to be the most affordable. It seems to be in a class by itself with respect to the quality of gun for the price. Second, they come with a guarantee of shooting under MOA. Apparently half MOA or better Tikkas are common. Third, they come with triggers adjustable between 2-4 lbs, and that have a reputation for being very crisp with little overtravel. I like light crisp triggers. PSome of the models have synthetic stocks and SS barrels. I like those features. In wet Oregon, its easy for wood stocks to warp, and SS gives better rust resistance than blued stocks. Boy dies that SS matter if you live or hunt on a coast where even the fog is salty. And even the models with synthetic stocks and SS barrels are affordable.

Here's the factory page on the Tikka T3x LITE Black/Stainless in .308. In comes in a wide range of calibers:

Just curious in general, how do Tikkas compare to Sako bolt action rifles?
Having owned both, my opinion is that there is no functional or accuracy difference between the two. Primarily with Sako you are paying for cosmetic improvements over the Tikka. It is very much the same as Honda/Acura or Toyota/Lexus, your paying for additional luxury and not additional base functionality.

The big difference to me between the two is that there is a huge aftermarket for Tikka's and almost none for Sako. If you have a Tikka action, you can build almost any type of bolt rifle you want from an ultra light mountain rifle to a PRS competition rifle. As far as the building goes, you can do it yourself like an AR-15 and don't have to engage a gunsmith.

Short of building a custom bolt gun, my personal opinion is that the Tikka platform is the best factory rifle for the money on the market today.

Do they make the tikka in a 375 h&h length action?
They don't make a factory chambering for 375H&H but have other belted magnums in their lineup. You would need to look at magazine dimensions on their long action to see if it would accommodate the 375H&H. I do see where folks have built 375 Rugers off of the Tikka action. The 375H&H might be one chambering where a Sako would be preferred since they do offer factory rifles in that chambering.

Okay. Reset everyone. @NobullSKS 's wife is 5' 10" and built sturdy, not skinny. So forget about the youth rifles. Standard rifles will fit her fine. And she is not only an experienced shooter. She also is an experienced hunter, and had her own .243 rifle as a kid.

Presumably the first question is, would she like another .243? Or would she rather have something more powerful and more versatile but with more recoil?
She's just recently heard more of 6.5mm and 7mm rem is something she remembers her dad having. These were her initial thoughts. Optics, sling, rings would be a set cost consideration. I don't know why but she keeps looking at mossberg. I'm only familiar with the shotguns. Ruger American is another she's pricing.

Savage Axis rifles are getting good reviews these days especially for accuracy.

6.5 Creedmore for $430.
I just bought an Axis 2 in 25-06 and like it very much. It shoots just over a 1" group @ 100 yds with Hornady White tail ammo right out of the box.

Midwayusa sells guns and is a good place to look at and compare price points and features. Once I decide on a couple or few I like I look to the net for reviews. That's how I ended up with the 25-06. I was looking for a Western Oregon Coast range Deer hunting rifle. Light enough to carry in the brush. Flat shooting enough to reach out across a clear cut and a plastic stock for the rain. Calibers I thought would work were 243 on the small end and .308 on the big end. The 6.5's and .270 were middle range contenders. I then saw the Left handed Savage Axis 2 in 25-06 on a last item sale on the midway site for $300 bucks. I've had Savage rifles before and liked them but never a 25-06. So again to the internet for reviews of both and found much to like about the rifle and caliber. A wave of my credit card and a transfer fee and the rifle now resides in my gun safe. As far as fitment I'd let your wife go to a gun shop (you can go with just remember it's to be her gun) and see what fits her the best in size , type and brand. As a side note my wife doesn't care for bolt guns she grew up around 30-30's so lever actions for her.

@oremike the 25-06 is a legendary hunting caliber. Ive used mine everywhere in Oregon on deer elk and pronghorn from the coast range to the desert. I've played around with other calibers to scratch that itch but I look forward to going back to the only rifle I need, the 25-06.
It would be a perfect cartridge for the OP.

@oremike the 25-06 is a legendary hunting caliber. Ive used mine everywhere in Oregon on deer elk and pronghorn from the coast range to the desert. I've played around with other calibers to scratch that itch but I look forward to going back to the only rifle I need, the 25-06.
It would be a perfect cartridge for the OP.
I'm aware, in talking to the oldtimers before the gee-wiz calibers the great campfire debate was 270 vs 25-06.

I'm aware, in talking to the oldtimers before the gee-wiz calibers the great campfire debate was 270 vs 25-06.
Ive often wondered if back in the day the 25-06 was the "creedmore" of its day around campfire caliber debates. I remember when the 6.5 Creedmore came out in all its rage and thought pffft... its not really doing anything better than the 25-06.

DO NOT GET HER A 7MM Magnum for crying out loud I watch studdly guys at the clubs sight in service throw 3 rds down range come within 4" of the Bull and call it good enough because the things are so UN FUN to shoot. While their wifes and girl friends shoot up a half a box of .243 80gr hunting rounds and end up with 1/2 dollar sized groups 2" above the bull right where they need to be.

And just to throw something out there. You can load a tube fed 30-30 with pointy bullets put two in the tube and when ready to shot rack one into the chamber and have a back up in the tube. Pointy bullets are only a worry when the rifle is shot and the rounds bang into each other in the tube. If there is no other round to bang into its perfectly safe.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top