JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've always thought this to be just vanity surgery just so one could shoot iron sights, but my family is encouraging me to do so I can shoot my rifles with iron sights at 72

got this NM M1 Garand I haven't shot in 30 years

anyone had Lasik surgery and what is your experience with iron sight shooting

I had lasik about 25 years ago, and cost $3k per eye back then. I went from 20/400 (near-sighted) to 20/15 (better than 20/20). As I have aged I'm now 20/20 in my right eye (my dominate eye) and 20/25-ish in my left eye, and of course I also need to wear cheaters to read or see fine details up close like any other "old fart".

You'll need an eye exam to evaluate if you're a viable candidate for the procedure. There's also a Radial Keratotomy procedure that might be a better prescription suited to your situation.

I'd do it all over again!

Last Edited:
I had early Lasik. I refused to go the radial keratotomy route! I had worn glasses since 3rd grade with all of the crap, abuse and difficulties involved. Wore glasses for 40 years! Hated them the whole time! I lived in PDX and had driven to Seattle for the procedure. Was in the OR maybe 15 minutes and he was finished! (both eyes) Put me in a dark room for about 10 minutes, and then told me I could go home. Joked that I lived in PDX but he said that's fine. Just don't rub your eyes at all for 24 hours.

No glasses, sunglasses bought off the shelf, no reaching for my glasses in the morning.Thought to myself that I wished that I could have done this so many years before!

Have and talk to your own ophthalmologist and and ask his opinion. NO procedure is 100% error free, but the % is very low considering how many get done every year. And they are getting better and better every year. Guessing you wear glasses now (reading or full time?) For me I was having trouble at a distance so I asked for driving glasses (focused farther out). Made 100-200+ shots much easier to read through a scope, but its been 25 years since I had my procedure (I'm 70 now).

Good luck to you. For me, doing Lasik ranks right up there with quitting smoking (36 years) and my daughter being born. Let me know.

I had lasik about 25 years ago, and cost $3k per eye back then. I went from 20/400 (near-sighted) to 20/15 (better than 20/20). As I have aged I'm now 20/20 in my right eye (my dominate eye) and 20/25-ish in my left eye, and of course I also need to wear cheaters to read of see fine details up close like any other "old fart".

You'll need an eye exam to evaluate if you're a viable candidate for the procedure. There's also a Radial Keratotomy procedure that might be better prescription suited to your situation.

I'd do it all over again!
Do they even do Radial Keratotomy anymore? That was cutting the eyeball to acheive what they can do using computerized lasers now.

I actually recently had this procedure in February. Went smoothly for me! However, i had this procedure while in Colombia and it is a huge cost saver. Shooting with only shooting glasses is a relief for me because i do not have to deal with the others while hunting. I love iron sights but have only shot pistols and not rifles since the procedure. I am eager to see how i do with an iron sight rifle.

Are you even a candidate?

In the mornings here I keep hearing ad's for a place here that does "Lens Replacement". Its always in the background so have not paid a lot of attention. He "claims" that if he does his thing you will never need cheaters, and never have a cataract. No idea if its really as they claim or not.

I had early Lasik. I refused to go the radial keratotomy route! I had worn glasses since 3rd grade with all of the crap, abuse and difficulties involved. Wore glasses for 40 years! Hated them the whole time! I lived in PDX and had driven to Seattle for the procedure. Was in the OR maybe 15 minutes and he was finished! (both eyes) Put me in a dark room for about 10 minutes, and then told me I could go home. Joked that I lived in PDX but he said that's fine. Just don't rub your eyes at all for 24 hours.

No glasses, sunglasses bought off the shelf, no reaching for my glasses in the morning.Thought to myself that I wished that I could have done this so many years before!

Have and talk to your own ophthalmologist and and ask his opinion. NO procedure is 100% error free, but the % is very low considering how many get done every year. And they are getting better and better every year. Guessing you wear glasses now (reading or full time?) For me I was having trouble at a distance so I asked for driving glasses (focused farther out). Made 100-200+ shots much easier to read through a scope, but its been 25 years since I had my procedure (I'm 70 now).

Good luck to you. For me, doing Lasik ranks right up there with quitting smoking (36 years) and my daughter being born. Let me know.
" daughter being born" that's what got the like

What about Refractive Lens Exchange? Has anyone went down that route? I have heard claims that it can correct both long and short range vision...

I had Lasik 20 years ago. It corrected my distance vision and it still is good. It's not going to help if you have presbyopia and use reading glasses.

Do they even do Radial Keratotomy anymore? That was cutting the eyeball to acheive what they can do using computerized lasers now.
I had an RK enhancement in my left eye to overcome an astigmatism that lasik couldn't quite overcome, it was easy-peezy, and it's done to the cornea not the entire eye itself.

No clue if they still do RK these days.

Last Edited:
I'll be 64 in October. On my last visit with my eye doctor, I spoke with her about correcting my vision with laser surgery. She reminded me that I was getting along in age and that perhaps I might need surgery to fix cataracts. No, currently I don't have cataracts. But, it is common in the older generation folks.

Hummm........so, did I really want to spend the money on laser surgery now?

Aloha, Mark

In the mornings here I keep hearing ad's for a place here that does "Lens Replacement". Its always in the background so have not paid a lot of attention. He "claims" that if he does his thing you will never need cheaters, and never have a cataract. No idea if its really as they claim or not.
Lens replacement is much different

Lens replacement is much different
As one ages the lenses in your eyes lose their pliability which facilitates focusing on near and far objects, then cataracts are also in the mix for a great many in the 60+ years.

I'll be 64 in October. On my last visit with my eye doctor, I spoke with her about correcting my vision with laser surgery. She reminded me that I was getting along in age and that perhaps I might need surgery to fix cataracts. No, currently I don't have cataracts. But, it is common in the older generation folks.

Hummm........so, did I really want to spend the money on laser surgery now?

Aloha, Mark
Mark, I consider this vanity surgery, but I would REALLY like to shoot iron sights again and my family supports it
money is not the issue, justifying the expenditure to my self is
I planed to pass on my trust fund to my kids, but they say if shooting iron sights again, if even for a couple of years will make me happy - do it

RE : Post #17

Yup.....sounds great.

Please make sure to speak with your eye doctor.

Mine warned me.......that even with eye surgery, I may not/might not achieve my goal of "good enough eyesight" for iron sight shooting. Due to the three different focus areas needed for iron sights.

Not to mention, my high correction, my other health issues, my mother's history with cataracts, etc..... etc......

Maybe.....she was thinking about her own practice (loss of business)?

Anyway.....
I have contact lens that correct my vision for most all my daily tasks. Yeah.....reader glasses too. OK, Ok, ok......

But, I've sort of resigned myself to "challenge myself" with just shooting irons at 25 yards. It's a rare occasion, when I'll shoot out at 50 yards. And, a 6 o'clock hold helps.

Then.......
Some rifles are just easier (better) for seeing the old iron sights. I've found that the Mosin Nagant and the peep sights of my Garand are still "fun" to use. While using my Mauser or my SMLE (Ishapore 2A1) are harder for me.

Maybe, it's due to the design and/or amount of light between the sight protection ears (when equipped), front and back sight thickness/arrangement, etc..... etc.....? Awww.....whatever.

BUT, But, but.....who knows what the future holds for me?

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
As one ages the lenses in your eyes lose their pliability which facilitates focusing on near and far objects, then cataracts are also in the mix for a great many in the 60+ years.
This is why I have meant to pay attention the next time I hear his ad, then I of course forget. Last trip to eye Doc she said my one eye is showing the very early start of cataract. I kind of thought something seemed "different" in that eye. I have been wearing some form of eye correction for over 50 years. If I really could get this fixed at the same time damn that would seem strange. Good time to be getting old, all kinds of neat new crap coming along. :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top