JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I did mine years ago at a king county sheriffs office in my neck of the woods.
My frist was in Tacoma but years ago when you had to do a three page essay on why you wanted to carry a gun.
Then let it expire. Now it a page and finger prints.
Technology has made it easier

My frist was in Tacoma but years ago when you had to do a three page essay on why you wanted to carry a gun.
Then let it expire. Now it a page and finger prints.
Technology has made it easier
I dunno...that finger print machine looks like something out of the 70's LOL

but it's better than an ink pad and cards...

I just got my WA CPL last week.
Ocean Shores PD was very nice.
I went in as soon as they opened at 8 am on a weekday. Completed paperwork in a few minutes. Ink and paper fingerprints took a few more minutes.

I was in and out in under 30 minutes total, but it took nearly a month to receive the permit in the mail.

Luckily, I already have my Utah and Oregon permits.

Perspective...

The CCW permitting process in Washington has to be one of the simplest in the country...not counting the states that have constitutional carry. You make an appointment that might take you a month at the most. Then you fill out a one page form, pay $54, give them your finger prints and in 30 days...BAM! CCW Permit!

Compare that to San Diego, California where it only took me 31 years to get a permit. Yup. 31 years. Because up until VERY recently they flat out did not issue. But here's what permitting looks like down here:
  • Schedule your first interview - Wait times are currently 8 months...for your FIRST interview
  • And it's good that you've got 8 months because the application form is 15 freaking pages long
  • And it includes a "good cause" statement. That's right...you need to have a cause that the individual sheriff deems worthy enough. There's no standard. No consistency across the state. It is purely up to each individual sheriff's opinion on what constitutes a "good cause." Self defense is NOT a good cause. Wanting to exercise your rights is NOT a good cause. You need to have either a credible threat against you, a job that deals with large sums of cash or valuables that makes you a target for theft, or you have to have some valid reason that takes you to remote parts of the county where you're at risk and police response time would be delayed (new)
  • So at your first interview they review your initial application to see if they think you got a shot at a second interview. If they deem your initial application worthy, they'll schedule interview #2 for about a month out.
  • Interview #2 is where they REALLY go through your application to make sure all the "i's" are dotted and "t's" are crossed. In addition to my 15 page application, I had another 12 pages of photographs and maps of the areas I frequent, as well as pictures of and receipts for ALL of my firearms to substantiate their value. Guns are all registered here by the way so there's no reason not to give them this type of info. They've already got it. Oh, and there is a $100+ fee due at the second interview...that you DON'T get back if the sheriff doesn't approve your permit.
  • Then you go home and wait...for another month...to see if the Sheriff is going to approve your permit.
  • If the sheriff approves your permit, then you have a THIRD interview.
  • But before that interview you have to take an 8 hour class that includes a proficiency test with EACH firearm you're going to place on your permit...you only get three guns on your permit.
  • The third interview is essentially just the formality of turning in the paperwork that proves you passed your course and then to get your actual permit...and pay more fees.
  • After all is said and done you're looking at about $400 worth of fees and courses for all this nonsense. All, of course, for what is supposed to be your constitutionally protected right. :rolleyes:

Washington's permitting process is a beautiful thing. You can bet this will be one of the things the Antis go after once they get sufficient numbers.

Stay vigilant!

WOLVERINES!

Perspective...

The CCW permitting process in Washington has to be one of the simplest in the country...not counting the states that have constitutional carry. You make an appointment that might take you a month at the most. Then you fill out a one page form, pay $54, give them your finger prints and in 30 days...BAM! CCW Permit!

Compare that to San Diego, California where it only took me 31 years to get a permit. Yup. 31 years. Because up until VERY recently they flat out did not issue. But here's what permitting looks like down here:
  • Schedule your first interview - Wait times are currently 8 months...for your FIRST interview
  • And it's good that you've got 8 months because the application form is 15 freaking pages long
  • And it includes a "good cause" statement. That's right...you need to have a cause that the individual sheriff deems worthy enough. There's no standard. No consistency across the state. It is purely up to each individual sheriff's opinion on what constitutes a "good cause." Self defense is NOT a good cause. Wanting to exercise your rights is NOT a good cause. You need to have either a credible threat against you, a job that deals with large sums of cash or valuables that makes you a target for theft, or you have to have some valid reason that takes you to remote parts of the county where you're at risk and police response time would be delayed (new)
  • So at your first interview they review your initial application to see if they think you got a shot at a second interview. If they deem your initial application worthy, they'll schedule interview #2 for about a month out.
  • Interview #2 is where they REALLY go through your application to make sure all the "i's" are dotted and "t's" are crossed. In addition to my 15 page application, I had another 12 pages of photographs and maps of the areas I frequent, as well as pictures of and receipts for ALL of my firearms to substantiate their value. Guns are all registered here by the way so there's no reason not to give them this type of info. They've already got it. Oh, and there is a $100+ fee due at the second interview...that you DON'T get back if the sheriff doesn't approve your permit.
  • Then you go home and wait...for another month...to see if the Sheriff is going to approve your permit.
  • If the sheriff approves your permit, then you have a THIRD interview.
  • But before that interview you have to take an 8 hour class that includes a proficiency test with EACH firearm you're going to place on your permit...you only get three guns on your permit.
  • The third interview is essentially just the formality of turning in the paperwork that proves you passed your course and then to get your actual permit...and pay more fees.
  • After all is said and done you're looking at about $400 worth of fees and courses for all this nonsense. All, of course, for what is supposed to be your constitutionally protected right. :rolleyes:

Washington's permitting process is a beautiful thing. You can bet this will be one of the things the Antis go after once they get sufficient numbers.

Stay vigilant!

WOLVERINES!
So glad I moved away many years ago. BTW, the Washington CPL will soon require that you take a class, and if you have a CPL, state employees now have access to your medical records. That's this year. If you think they are done messing with us, they're not even started yet. Your post could serve as a program for the little opera they have planned for us.

So glad I moved away many years ago. BTW, the Washington CPL will soon require that you take a class, and if you have a CPL, state employees now have access to your medical records. That's this year. If you think they are done messing with us, they're not even started yet. Your post could serve as a program for the little opera they have planned for us.

Excuse my lack of education on the new laws beginning 7/1 but I thought the classes were for riffle/shotgun purchase? Is it for every firearm now?!? I'm now Feeling like I should go hoarder status between now and July. "Myyyy precioussssss"

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top