JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
King county is the most gun owner friendly law enforcement agency I've encountered in WA. I used to have to go through Seattle PD when I lived in their city limits...always a pain and they were never warm and fuzzy when it came to CPL paperwork. Now that I live in a KCSO contract city, it's wonderful....almost like they welcome your presence as a legally armed citizen.

Whenever I've had business in a KCSO run courthouse, the deputies are always friendly to the point of complimenting my gun and holster choice during the weapons check in process.

You can go to any King County Sheriff's Office police services contract city that has a KJCSO station and get it done....Seatac city hall is the one I go to. Burien, Shoreline too.

"How would I know that by looking at my address!" (it's not like I live in no man's land)

So I had to wait all that time for nothing and get the run around. Eventually I was able to get my CPL at the KCC downtown and they were pretty nice overall. Mailed it out to me in under 30 days.

Really you should have figured that out on your own.Public information and all.

Don't y'all have to go to the municipality that you live in?
City or county? Not just which ever you want to apply at?
I believe if you live in a city's boundaries you have to go to that city and if you live in the county then the county office

And I move from that side of the water for that and many,many other reasons.

I hate king county and especially seattle

I believe if you live in a city's boundaries you have to go to that city and if you live in the county then the county office

That wasn't the case when I got mine from King County Sheriff - I was living within Seattle city limits, but the Sheriff issued the permit.

Took me 15 min. at Normandy Park City Hall. No lines or anyhitng, just one person to deal with that did the paperwork and the fingerprints. 3 weeks later they called and said I can pick up my permit. Try your local city halls, I called mine and they told me they did them or stupid me would have gone downtown.

Really you should have figured that out on your own.Public information and all.

And I move from that side of the water for that and many,many other reasons.

I hate king county and especially seattle
If you live in an unincorporated area of the county then you have to apply at the Sheriff's Office, if you live within a city limits of a town then you can apply at either the Police Dept or the Sheriff's Office. RCW 9.41.070 (13)(a)(b)(c)

Right, you have to live in the jurisdiction that you apply in. If she's in Seattle, then either Seattle PD or King Co. Sheriff. Duvall is only an option if you live in Duvall. Now, to put all this in perspective:

In the '90s, I lived in NYC. I had to go through all the hoops to apply for an NYC pistol permit. We all now horrid that is supposed to be. So I went to, as they call it on "Law and Order," "One PP" (One Police Plaza), with all my paperwork in order. Five days later, my FFL/range in Manhattan called me and said "you done, come pick up your guns and paperwork." So that was my measure of "bad" civil authorities. To put that in perspective, NYC issued my pistol permit there 10 times faster (six days or less vs. 60) than the Redmond PD did.

So don't for a second think because you are in WA you are in a "free" state - the civil authorities here are trying as hard as they can to subvert your civil liberties. I've tested it, I've seen it. Others have, too.

Now I believe the Duvall PD is probably decent and efficient - Duvall is a sane community within King Co. and not yet affected by the idea of controlling and intimidating their citizens, which is the way Seattle and other nearby cities work. I left the east coast five years ago thinking I would find more personal freedom and security in the west - I now realize that means WA east of the cascades, so that's where we are heading soon.

Idaho is much better for "freedom" than Eastern WA. I just moved from there!!

If you live in an unincorporated area of the county then you have to apply at the Sheriff's Office, if you live within a city limits of a town then you can apply at either the Police Dept or the Sheriff's Office. RCW 9.41.070 (13)(a)(b)(c)

LESA did both Pierce and Tacoma,so I never would have know but up here in Clallam Co,you go to the municipality you live in.
Even up here,of all places,they had a sheriff that didn't like to issue them.The remnants of his regime are still there and will make you wait 30 days on a renewal,while PA gives 'em out the same day

I guess I am lucky to live in Renton. Appointment took three days. Permit came in about 10 days. Wife's appointment was the next day after she called and she got her's in seven days.
Ed

It really irks me that some cities call this 30 day thing a waiting period. If you read the law, it most definitely is not. Probably too minor a thing to address, but it doesn't paint them in a good light. I remember renewing a boat ramp permit and being asked if I ever had a DUI. I said no and asked the lady if it was a new law. She said "No, it's just something that we do." So I asked if she thought that she could get in trouble for that. Got a kind of confused look from her. When I renewed the next year they didn't ask, which was a shame - I had plans. Well maybe it was just as well... :s0087:

I don't think she can apply with the Duvall police department because we live in Seattle.

Easy in Seattle, takes about 10-15 minutes tops.
Walk into County courthouse downtown, make a left at the metal detector. 1st door, 1st floor. Fill out form, pay the lady, get prints, done.

You'll get your CWP mailed to you in about 2 weeks. They are really nice about it and very helpful if you need it. No waiting or fuss.
If you print out the form before you show up at the courthouse use blue ink to fill it out.

Everyone should have one wether they carry a firearm or not.
Need it at the gunshow and it calms down forest rangers, State Patrol, Sherrif etc when they see firearms in your vehicle.

I live in king county right around lake washington area. However my dl still has myOld address (whidbey island) which is also were I get mail. Can I still go to the down town court house and apply for my permit or do I have to go back out to whidbey? I can provide proof of living in king county for over 6 months?

This is a GRRR moment for me. I made an appointment with the Federal Way Police Department, which there was a 4-week wait just to get an appointment. So I wait the four weeks, also knowing that I'll wait an additional 30 days before I get the permit. Finally the day comes, it's a Saturday, and I walk into the main doors. I see the glass doors to the CPL office, but when I try them, they're locked. So lady comes around the counter talking to me through the locked doors "Why are you hear?" Idiot.
"I have an appointment to get my CPL."
"Then you have to go outside to the after-hours entrance and they'll buzz you in." Okay.......
So I go outside, have to figure out this automated phone number coded dialing system, and the phone rings "Can I help you?" It's the same F'n lady.
"Yes... I have a CPL appointment." She buzzes me in. I go to a different lady behind thick glass. She takes my driver's license and fee.
She looks at my license and says "You don't live in the city of Federal Way."
ORLY? "Why does my address say Federal Way then?"
"It says Federal Way, but it's not Federal Way. It's not in the city limits. We can't submit your form, you have to go to King County Courthouse (downtown Seattle -not close) because you live in an annex of Federal Way. They should have told you that when you called me make your appointment (a month ago!)"
"How would I know that by looking at my address!" (it's not like I live in no man's land)

So I had to wait all that time for nothing and get the run around. Eventually I was able to get my CPL at the KCC downtown and they were pretty nice overall. Mailed it out to me in under 30 days.

That is against state law. I would file a complaint. Read the law, make them abide by it. Here in Okanogam County it takes a day, plus mail time...on average. Go in on Monday, have the license Wednesday in the mail. Go in on Thursday, you will have it in your mail box on Monday.

Got my first permit around '83 here in Clark County. Had to go pick it up in person. When I reached for it the deputy pulled it back and told me "If it wasn't the law I wouldn't give any of these out"! Will have to renew mine next month (90 days before the old one expires).

The best one that I've dealt with is Multnomah County. They're pretty well set up and get you in and out quickly. I was second in line and it took about 20 min. They gave me a letter to carry as a temp permit till the new one got mailed out. Last time I didn't need a letter from my employer (me), nor from the WA Health Dept like you used to need.

I fortunately did not have the same experience as other posters with the Redmond Police Department.. My Dad and I both applied for our CPL's on Thursday the 16th of June 2016. The process was amicable, and we both received our Licenses on Monday, the 20th.. I was actually very surprised that we received our License in less than 1 business day..

I'm glad someone resurrected this thread!

Reminded me I need to go down to the King County courthouse and renew my permit.
My last experience there was quick and pleasant.

When I asked the guard at the metal detector where I apply for a concealed carry permit he was nice and even walked me to the office and went inside to get the gal who does the permits.

Staff was polite, helpful and easy to talk to.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top