JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've had my permit for a few months and applied at the Seattle PD Public Response Unit. The process was smooth and I was out in maybe 20 minutes but they made me wait 30 days before returning to pick up the permit (or even check its status) and they do not mail them out (I had to go get it).

My girlfriend now wants her own concealed carry permit and I'm wondering if the King County Sheriff's office is doing things any faster or easier. Has anyone gotten a permit from the King County Sheriff lately? How'd it go?

I got my CPL originally, and have renewed it since, with KC Sheriffs Office. I don't recall an inordinate wait, and they did mail it to me. I work in downtown Seattle, so it is very convenient to just walk down on my lunch hour.

I got mine originally from the KCS office and it was a snap, very quick turn-around, pleasant, etc. Mailed it to me in a week or so, maybe less - I recall I was impressed. Much better than the Redmond PD, where I went to renew last year. They held the app the full time allowed by the state law regardless of need or cause. They also treated you very rudely during the application submission. Last week I had mine destroyed, so I had to go get a replacement. They were the same - rude and condescending, and they said they would hold the app the 30 days allowed by law before "granting" me a replacement for my existing license. This is Redmond PD, but Seattle PD is also notoriously anti-citizen and abusive of the citizenry, so I would expect the same poor peformance from them. By all means, go to the KCS downtown.

Let me tell you, next renewal will be at King Co. Sheriff if I am still unfortunately living in King Co. in four more years. Hopefully that will not be the case.

When I renewed my permit through KC Sheriff a few years ago, they were doing it at the same window where sex offenders registered. It was a charming experience...

Beyond that, they did get me the permit rapidly & by mail. I'd probably go through them again for renewal.

This is a GRRR moment for me. I made an appointment with the Federal Way Police Department, which there was a 4-week wait just to get an appointment. So I wait the four weeks, also knowing that I'll wait an additional 30 days before I get the permit. Finally the day comes, it's a Saturday, and I walk into the main doors. I see the glass doors to the CPL office, but when I try them, they're locked. So lady comes around the counter talking to me through the locked doors "Why are you hear?" Idiot.
"I have an appointment to get my CPL."
"Then you have to go outside to the after-hours entrance and they'll buzz you in." Okay.......
So I go outside, have to figure out this automated phone number coded dialing system, and the phone rings "Can I help you?" It's the same F'n lady.
"Yes... I have a CPL appointment." She buzzes me in. I go to a different lady behind thick glass. She takes my driver's license and fee.
She looks at my license and says "You don't live in the city of Federal Way."
ORLY? "Why does my address say Federal Way then?"
"It says Federal Way, but it's not Federal Way. It's not in the city limits. We can't submit your form, you have to go to King County Courthouse (downtown Seattle -not close) because you live in an annex of Federal Way. They should have told you that when you called me make your appointment (a month ago!)"
"How would I know that by looking at my address!" (it's not like I live in no man's land)

So I had to wait all that time for nothing and get the run around. Eventually I was able to get my CPL at the KCC downtown and they were pretty nice overall. Mailed it out to me in under 30 days.

I don't think she can apply with the Duvall police department because we live in Seattle. As I understand it, the two choices are (A) Your own city's police department, if you live in a city and (B) Your county sheriff's office.

@Oro: Redmond PD sounds like they're doing the same thing as the Seattle PD. The Seattle PD actually called the 30 days they have to process the application a "30-day waiting period" and told me not to try to check on or pick up the permit before that time was up.

Sounds like the sheriff's office is the place to go at the moment!

I don't think she can apply with the Duvall police department because we live in Seattle.

Right, you have to live in the jurisdiction that you apply in. If she's in Seattle, then either Seattle PD or King Co. Sheriff. Duvall is only an option if you live in Duvall. Now, to put all this in perspective:

In the '90s, I lived in NYC. I had to go through all the hoops to apply for an NYC pistol permit. We all now horrid that is supposed to be. So I went to, as they call it on "Law and Order," "One PP" (One Police Plaza), with all my paperwork in order. Five days later, my FFL/range in Manhattan called me and said "you done, come pick up your guns and paperwork." So that was my measure of "bad" civil authorities. To put that in perspective, NYC issued my pistol permit there 10 times faster (six days or less vs. 60) than the Redmond PD did.

So don't for a second think because you are in WA you are in a "free" state - the civil authorities here are trying as hard as they can to subvert your civil liberties. I've tested it, I've seen it. Others have, too.

Now I believe the Duvall PD is probably decent and efficient - Duvall is a sane community within King Co. and not yet affected by the idea of controlling and intimidating their citizens, which is the way Seattle and other nearby cities work. I left the east coast five years ago thinking I would find more personal freedom and security in the west - I now realize that means WA east of the cascades, so that's where we are heading soon.

I went to the courthouse in Tacoma. I had my app all filled out already, went it waited maybe 5 minutes in line and another 10 to get finger prints taken. I applied on Thursday and my CPL arrived at my home on Wednesday. Super quick process for me and trouble free really.

This is a GRRR moment for me. I made an appointment with the Federal Way Police Department, which there was a 4-week wait just to get an appointment. So I wait the four weeks, also knowing that I'll wait an additional 30 days before I get the permit. Finally the day comes, it's a Saturday, and I walk into the main doors. I see the glass doors to the CPL office, but when I try them, they're locked. So lady comes around the counter talking to me through the locked doors "Why are you hear?" Idiot.
"I have an appointment to get my CPL."
"Then you have to go outside to the after-hours entrance and they'll buzz you in." Okay.......
So I go outside, have to figure out this automated phone number coded dialing system, and the phone rings "Can I help you?" It's the same F'n lady.
"Yes... I have a CPL appointment." She buzzes me in. I go to a different lady behind thick glass. She takes my driver's license and fee.
She looks at my license and says "You don't live in the city of Federal Way."
ORLY? "Why does my address say Federal Way then?"
"It says Federal Way, but it's not Federal Way. It's not in the city limits. We can't submit your form, you have to go to King County Courthouse (downtown Seattle -not close) because you live in an annex of Federal Way. They should have told you that when you called me make your appointment (a month ago!)"
"How would I know that by looking at my address!" (it's not like I live in no man's land)

So I had to wait all that time for nothing and get the run around. Eventually I was able to get my CPL at the KCC downtown and they were pretty nice overall. Mailed it out to me in under 30 days.

I live in unincorporated King Co. as well. I'm glad I had heard that you bypass all the BS by going to King Co sheriffs office. Although standing there with all the registered Sex offenders did irk me a bit.

I live in unincorporated King Co. as well. I'm glad I had heard that you bypass all the BS by going to King Co sheriffs office. Although standing there with all the registered Sex offenders did irk me a bit.

Did you have to get your CPL at the King County Sheriff's office too? I bet you're a stone's throw away from me. I've often wondered, if I don't live in the city limits, does that mean I could target shoot in my yard and not get in trouble? I clearly wouldn't, it's quite populated, but I wonder...

I like knowing the loopholes in the law, for instance, in Washington State, the only two things you can legally litter out of a vehicle are chicken feathers and water. Because I'm such a smart @ss, I've considered carrying a bag of feathers to toss out the window as I'm being written up for a speeding ticket. :D

I left the east coast five years ago thinking I would find more personal freedom and security in the west - I now realize that means WA east of the cascades, so that's where we are heading soon.

The grass may not be greener, but there sure is a lot more sun over there. I love eastern Washington.

You actually GOT a pistol permit in New York City? Amazing. I've a friend living in Manhattan, no criminal record, he is a licensed Private detective, a licensed Medical examiner, and a film stuntman. He tells me he has applied, and can NOT get a permit to even OWN a pistol in New York City, let alone CARRY the infernal thing... they're DAYNJrus, you know...... I am trying to find out how I can drive across the country, pistol in car, and legally enter New York City. I am told I can not lawfully have any handgun in my posession while in New York City. SO--- it looks like I either leave it home (not acceptable), stash it somewhere in Pennsylvania, necessitating a large detour on my return to retrieve it, somehow figure out how to declare it, store it, surrender it, as I enter NYC and recover it again as I leave it, or become a felon. No option E, none of the above. He is trying to find out what to do...... so far, unsuccessully. One other option I've considered.... leave my whole car somewhere out of NYC and take the train into town to visit him. But there is something large and heavy I want to get whilst I am back there with the car....... sounds to me like an unconstitutional restiction on interstate commerce.... but NYC do not give a care WHAT I think....

as to moving to Eastern Washington, it might be a little better, but can't be much. Most of the stupid nanny state restrictions and regulations you will find in King County arise from STATE level legislation. And the climate for ALL businesses in this state is wretched, due to the reigning queen and her cohorts. AND she is prattling on about how Washington NEEDS here, so she is planning to run for a third term. I hope I am gone from this wretched perverted government before THAT happens....... running a small business in this state and trying to compete on the national market playing field is like pushing a chain uphill...... it can be done, but what a lot of work!!

Did you have to get your CPL at the King County Sheriff's office too? I bet you're a stone's throw away from me. I've often wondered, if I don't live in the city limits, does that mean I could target shoot in my yard and not get in trouble? I clearly wouldn't, it's quite populated, but I wonder...

I like knowing the loopholes in the law, for instance, in Washington State, the only two things you can legally litter out of a vehicle are chicken feathers and water. Because I'm such a smart @ss, I've considered carrying a bag of feathers to toss out the window as I'm being written up for a speeding ticket. :D

I live around the Peasley Canyon area. I wouldn't try target shooting in my yard. My neighboors already dont care for me all that much.

When I applied for my original permit in Seattle - 2000 or so - it didn't seem that onerous. I seem to remember 60 days or something and that's what it took.

When I renewed, I lived in Edmonds and I seem to remember that it took about 10 days.

We went to the Sheriff's office this afternoon while out and about on errands. The line was pretty long (about an average of 6 or 7 people at any given time, nearly all of them CPL applicants) but it kept moving at a steady pace. The whole process took about 70 minutes or so compared to the 20 minutes for me at the Seattle PD. That said, the person who fingerprinted her ran the check right then and said she'd probably get it in the mail within 1.5-2 weeks as opposed to the 30 days I had to wait for the Seattle PD.

Thanks for the information everyone!

In Grant County, I went in for mine, spent about 30 minutes in the Sheriff's office and had it in the mail the next day. FirstInLine went in for hers, spent about 30 minutes and it arrived in the mail the next day.

Pops

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top