JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was talking to @Kruejl about how many hunting cartridges exist (I can name ten .308 caliber cartridges, easily) and then saw the failed cartridges thread, which I am enjoying. Then I thought, how many times are we gonna cram the same bullet into varying cases and call it "new"? Most new cartridges have come nowhere near exceeding already achieved performance. Some may do it in shorter and fatter packages that may or may not compromise function.

Worse yet, why do we keep buying them? The market must be bearing it.

I think I'll come out with a .270, .284, and .300 Whelen. A NEW and AWESOME cartridge based on the .35 Whelen!

Agreed. In the field of rifle cartridges, this is so much overlap on existing offerings, the "new" offerings are often almost farcical. I've never bought into the newest whiz-bang offerings because, at this juncture in rifle development, there are plenty of good cartridges to accomplish pretty much any goal.

P.S. Glad you are enjoying the other thread. If nothing else, it is always fun to take a trip down memory lane. :)

I was talking to @Kruejl about how many hunting cartridges exist (I can name ten .308 caliber cartridges, easily) and then saw the failed cartridges thread, which I am enjoying. Then I thought, how many times are we gonna cram the same bullet into varying cases and call it "new"? Most new cartridges have come nowhere near exceeding already achieved performance. Some may do it in shorter and fatter packages that may or may not compromise function.

Worse yet, why do we keep buying them? The market must be bearing it.

I think I'll come out with a .270, .284, and .300 Whelen. A NEW and AWESOME cartridge based on the .35 Whelen!

The 300 black out option is pretty neat. Besides that why bother? 5.56, and 7.62x51 get all the uses pretty well covered.

Agreed. In the field of rifle cartridges, this is so much overlap on existing offerings, the "new" offerings are often almost farcical. I've never bought into the newest whiz-bang offerings because, at this juncture in rifle development, there are plenty of good cartridges to accomplish pretty much any goal.

P.S. Glad you are enjoying the other thread. If nothing else, it is always fun to take a trip down memory lane. :)

Whats funny is that the vast majority of rifle cartridges had no military or .gov link besides parent case. Even then, many parent cases began their life in the hunting world and were experimented with by the military later.

When it comes to defensive cartridges, we have been pretty much stuck with 9mm, 45 ACP, .38 SPC, and .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum for a long time. You can add 40 S&W to the list but its still a relative newcomer. Its just odd that we make hundreds of non-essential hunting cartridges but are still stuck with 3 mainstream pistol cartridges that you could end up using to save your life.

I have mostly the basics. 22lr revolver and lever, 30-30 lever and bolt, .308 semi-auto, .357 revolver and lever, 243 bolt, 12g, 20g. My "outliers" are a .40, a 10mm, and a .25-06, which is currently on the market. I'm buying a 6.5 creedmore tomorrow. Things have had before but realized were just wants and not needs, and couldn't justify keeping, included 22-250, 280, 41 mag, 357 sig. Only thing I ever sold and regretted was a Redhawk 44 mag.

My favorite Cousin is a rifle cartridge fanatic, he is always showing up with the latest wizz bang ultra nuke power magunm++ killer, and he still has yet to shoot any animal past 100 yards with any of them! The biggest colossal failure of them all, one that nearly got him converted into bear poop was a beautiful Browning chamberd in 7mm Remington Ultra Magnum! That sucker ice picked a 1000+ coastal brown at 70 yards, 5 rounds through the boiler room as fast as he could run the bolt, and it took 3 rounds of hot .45/70 from my Marlin to drop that big boy, barely 10 yards direct front danger close! That big 7 MM went up for sale the day we got back home, and a big .338 Winchester M70 replaced it!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top