JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You wont catch me uttering that hogwash!
C'mon, man up and admit you want some bimbebap, a side of kim chi and to wash it all down with bekseju.

How about all the Weatherby chamberings thay were more or less blown out versions of belted magnums?
...chambered in guns that are works of art.

Yes, but they at least reached new performance levels. No one makes a faster 24, 25, or 27 caliber. The 300 Weatherby is still a beast. The 30-378 is even beastier!
So if you shoot a 340 Weatherby or a 338-378, are you a Beastie Boi ?

All these new fangled rounds... we should ditch em all, go back to the .44-40, the .30WCF, maybe step into the 20th century to the .30-06, .45ACP, and the 9mm Luger. Anything created after 1911 is just folly and childs toys :D

I'm gonna go tell my 5.56 that I didn't mean that now, before it cries.

DSC05463.jpg
Almost anything is new compared to what I usually shoot...:D
Folks have kept themselves fed , protected , gone to war and won shooting matches with powder , patch and ball for centuries....

The basic principles are the same whether you are using a modern cartridge gun or a antique muzzleloader:
Know your rifle...
Know your load...
Know your limits ( and keep to your limits ) with just how far you can make hit...
Practice these in any and all conditions that you expect to shoot in...
( not just from the bench )
Get to where these practices are "second nature"...
Following these practices will make you a better shot...but does make for boring reading...or sales pitch.

Many cartridges new and old often "overlap" or seem redundant....but gun companies are in the business of making money , so they gotta do something to make it a profit...
AD hype of the latest rifle a wiz-bang cartridge is a way to do that...even if the cartridge doesn't really live up to the hype.....

Besides...the old cartridges are still with us , 'cause they still work.
I am not against modern guns or cartridges...without advancement , things die out.
But don't try to sell me on the idea that the latest wiz-bang cartridge will kill game better , than a older well established cartridge.
Dead is dead ...you can't get "deader"...
Using the proper bullet design and shot placement ...will get you a good dinner , win a match , or save your life...
Andy

"Crazes".
Magnums.
Short Mags.
Super Short Mags.
Long range.
Super Long Range.
Long Range Hunting.
PRS

All of these have brought out the geekiness in many rifle cranks. Tweaking an idea to gain an advantage, or a possible advantage in what you can do with a bullet. Once a manufacturer does it, the others have to keep up. Crazes sell guns, ammo and magazines (ones ya read).
Many of the advancements in cartridges, bullets and rifles are real, but at what point does "real" begin to matter?
Don't know if I've ever shot a real target at anything over 400 yards. Know damn well I've never shot a game animal at anywhere near 200 yards. Many people have done what I haven't, but far more are just like me.

Once in a while one of these advancements turns out to be a real winner. Opinions on the 40 S&W aside, it has proven to be popular in the market place. And the 7mm-08? I don't use it, but I think it is one of the best "gap fillers" and also is a great big game cartridge that won't beat the heck out of the shooter, especially if they are small.
The 7mm became legit in 1980, the 40 in '90.

I wonder if anything newer than that will really stay around?
300WSM?
6.5CM?
Anything Nosler? (forking drooooooooool) :p

I understand where you are coming from, regarding things like .300 WinMag, .300 WSSM, .300 RUM, etc...

However, I do feel there have been some really good cartridges developed over the last decade or two, specifically for the AR15 platform.

Heavy 5.56 Projectiles
.300 Blackout
6.5 Grendel
6.8 SPC (II)
.224 Valkyrie
.458 SOCOM
.50 Beowulf

You have better 5.56 ammo for existing rifles, .300 Blackout for suppressed use, 6.5 Grendel for distance, and .458 SOCOM for when you need a semi-auto .45-70... :p

All of these choices can be filled by *one* firearm, with the ability to quickly change uppers and calibers as desired.

Add in the fact that you can also have interchangeable uppers for .22LR & 9mm by using chamber and mag well adapters, and the possibilities are almost endless.

I personally hope this trend continues. I'm not so much interested in the new calibers, but more interested in what new calibers can be incorporated into the existing AR15 platform.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top