JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sorry to sound like a nube here, I am looking to build my "first" AR and while I know the inner workings and such,and have a ton of experience using them, I have never done one completely from scratch! I have a very specific platform config I wish to build and this is where the questions and grey areas are I need to be aware of! I am wanting to build a "Retro ish" late 60's early 70's CAR rifle. I want it to look close but also want it as light as I can get! ! My understanding is barrel length needs to be 16 inch with out muzzle device installed, Correct? does that preclude having the short old school triangle hand guards? Also, any recommendations for light weight upper and lowers that retain a fixed carry handle, forward assist, and dust cover in place. I don't want any plastic and I don't want any thing carved out! Basically I want a XM-177/ CAR16 sort of look, at least as close as I can get! Any advice on the WYLDE chamber? Also advice on twist? Any other thoughts, recommendations, tips and tricks? Thanks in advance, Put me on the "Owes a few beers list"

Carbine 15 inch barrel. If going carbine the closest would be 14.5 inch. Just pin the flash hider for legal reasons. I think the military generally kept with the 1/12 twist at the time. If you don't care for authenticity in the twist rate get 1/7, 1/8, or 1/9.

I'm not the best source of info on the CAR-15 so don't take my word for it.

If you didn't already have a place you can get your handguards at:
http://www.tonyscustomsllc.com/prod...andguards-components/xm-177-style-handguards/

They also have the flash hider.

Legal barrel lengh is 16, BUT if you permanently attach the muzzle device the ATF considers it part of the barrel, adding to the legal length requirement. Otherwise you need a tax stamp.

Ok, Cool! I would probably end up welding on a device to make it legit. So the barrel should be ordered as carbine length as apposed to mid length correct? I am thinking a stainless 14.5 inch 1/7 twist Wylde chamber and adding a Vortex flash hider. I know its not correct, but I like how they work and seem to be a bit longer so I come in at the correct length!

1911 pistols and FN/FAL M1A/Garand, 03 Spring rifles are MY thing! IF you ever need any help or tips and tricks on these, Please feel free to ask! As this is my first AR build I thought it best to ask here! :)

how close to oem are you trying to get it?....I want to say the closer you can stay to the original specs the lighter it might be.
I have handled some Vietnam era Colts, 20 inch barrels that appeared to be a lighter profile, full stocks and they are amazing in balance and weight
I bet a little original CAR feels awesome

how close to oem are you trying to get it?....I want to say the closer you can stay to the original specs the lighter it might be.
I have handled some Vietnam era Colts, 20 inch barrels that appeared to be a lighter profile, full stocks and they are amazing in balance and weight
I bet a little original CAR feels awesome

I was actually issued a left over Vietnam era CAR rifle and loved it! nice and light and surprisingly accurate with the ammo we had then! I always wanted to do one like that for my self but do not like having a fake device like the XM177 clones have! Its always been in the back of my pee brain that I should have one, just now decided to actually build one!

I'm actually excited right now , hope you get it going quick.

what was the twist on those old barrels....pinned 14.5, lightweight profile sounds sweet.
That little club foot looking stock is cool, Magpul just came out with a new stock and it really looks nice for snapping up to the shoulder, low profile like the CAR
https://www.magpul.com/products/moe-sl-k-carbine-stock-mil-spec

Ours were 1/9 twist. I believe they were barreled more then a few times before we got them, but nice little rigs none the less! Basically an XM with out the long flash hider. It had the old bird cage on it and worked pretty good with the lighter 55 gr stuff. When we went to 62 gr stuff the flash got brighter! Then we got the M-4 and things went to hell in some areas! I do like the Feed ramp extensions of the M-4 and will probably spec them as it looks like we are switching Mil Spec ammo to steel tip 77 grain stuff!

Ours were 1/9 twist. I believe they were barreled more then a few times before we got them, but nice little rigs none the less! Basically an XM with out the long flash hider. It had the old bird cage on it and worked pretty good with the lighter 55 gr stuff. When we went to 62 gr stuff the flash got brighter! Then we got the M-4 and things went to hell in some areas! I do like the Feed ramp extensions of the M-4 and will probably spec them as it looks like we are switching Mil Spec ammo to steel tip 77 grain stuff!
sounds like good experiences, you know the slower twist barrels of yesteryear turn the 55gr ball more lethal
there are cool ballistic test videos that show 1:12 vs. 1:7 shooting 55gr fmj and the differences in the gel were drastic just based on twist.
M855 changed all that
good luck with the build, its going to be sweet

sounds like good experiences, you know the slower twist barrels of yesteryear turn the 55gr ball more lethal
there are cool ballistic test videos that show 1:12 vs. 1:7 shooting 55gr fmj and the differences in the gel were drastic just based on twist.
M855 changed all that
good luck with the build, its going to be sweet

The switch to 62 gr stuff pretty much ruined a good light platform! we ended up seeing a lot of ice picking and that became a real issue when the baddies were jacked on chemicals! We played with a few old AR 180s that had the 1/12 twist and they were not very accurate nor did they have very good range, but were really nice in other areas thanks to the folding stocks!

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews