JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here's my home made version of a CAR15, shorter, lighter and SBR'ed.

ace01.jpg

ace01.jpg

I became interested in building a retro about 4 years ago when I first learned of the XM607 which had the first of the telescoping stocks. Couldn't afford the $400 asking price at the time and of course now I can't even find any for sale. But I carried on with the project nonetheless. I purchased a lot of parts from various vendors. Once I got my fake moderator with grenade ring, it became apparent to me that finding a 12.5" barrel to mount it on (albeit permanently) would give me a carbine as short as legally possible. Evidently someone envisioned shooting rifle grenades that slipped over the moderator, in a manner similar to how the M1 Garand launcher is used. I was advised ATF has been known to be a little bit rough on the guns when they're checking for permanence of installation. Consequently I had an FFL gunsmith mount, drill, and weld over the pin to ensure it won't come off except with the most brutal force. The barrel is a Daniel Defense m4 style. Would have preferred a thinner one more like the Vietnam era, but finding one in the length I was after just couldn't be done. Nodak Spud supplied me with the receivers, RET, and also some POC for other part vendors. They even sold me a couple of waffle mags to lend more authenticity to the project. If you notice the ejection port door has a rectangular pad, the selector and various pins have dimples, bolt catch pad has an odd surface and the magazine button doesn't have our modern "many circle" design. The lower receiver even has the small hole that was originally used to capture the RET with a roll pin. Buttstock is two position, either collapsed or extended, better than nothing. Of course it wouldn't be complete without the triangular handguards, which by the way necessitate use of a rear handguard cap as well as the usual front cap that is pressed against the FSB. Hope you enjoy the photos as much as I enjoy shooting. yours for the second.. tim

NoDak Spud XM16E1 left side - moderator & delta slip ring & waffle magazine.JPG NoDak Spud XM16E1 right side - moderator & delta slip ring & waffle magazine.JPG NoDak Spud XM16E1 right side - port door.JPG NoDak Spud XM16E1 - waffle magazines.JPG

NoDak Spud XM16E1 left side - moderator & delta slip ring & waffle magazine.JPG

NoDak Spud XM16E1 right side - moderator & delta slip ring & waffle magazine.JPG

NoDak Spud XM16E1 right side - port door.JPG

NoDak Spud XM16E1 - waffle magazines.JPG

I became interested in building a retro about 4 years ago when I first learned of the XM607 which had the first of the telescoping stocks. Couldn't afford the $400 asking price at the time and of course now I can't even find any for sale. But I carried on with the project nonetheless. I purchased a lot of parts from various vendors. Once I got my fake moderator with grenade ring, it became apparent to me that finding a 12.5" barrel to mount it on (albeit permanently) would give me a carbine as short as legally possible. Evidently someone envisioned shooting rifle grenades that slipped over the moderator, in a manner similar to how the M1 Garand launcher is used. I was advised ATF has been known to be a little bit rough on the guns when they're checking for permanence of installation. Consequently I had an FFL gunsmith mount, drill, and weld over the pin to ensure it won't come off except with the most brutal force. The barrel is a Daniel Defense m4 style. Would have preferred a thinner one more like the Vietnam era, but finding one in the length I was after just couldn't be done. Nodak Spud supplied me with the receivers, RET, and also some POC for other part vendors. They even sold me a couple of waffle mags to lend more authenticity to the project. If you notice the ejection port door has a rectangular pad, the selector and various pins have dimples, bolt catch pad has an odd surface and the magazine button doesn't have our modern "many circle" design. The lower receiver even has the small hole that was originally used to capture the RET with a roll pin. Buttstock is two position, either collapsed or extended, better than nothing. Of course it wouldn't be complete without the triangular handguards, which by the way necessitate use of a rear handguard cap as well as the usual front cap that is pressed against the FSB. Hope you enjoy the photos as much as I enjoy shooting. yours for the second.. tim

View attachment 272795 View attachment 272796 View attachment 272797 View attachment 272798
Wet dream right there!

View attachment 272795 View attachment 272796 View attachment 272797 View attachment 272798
My shooting buddy Tim Knows what he is talking about. This is a great Car15 build. He knows more about AR-15 rifles than anyone I know. :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top