JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We got the dregs left over from every one else! most of our stuff was hand me down Army stuff. We finally got bland new with the switch to the M-4 carbine! We also got old ex Marine M-14s and used them for several years! Loved that old rifle!

The switch to 62 gr stuff pretty much ruined a good light platform! we ended up seeing a lot of ice picking and that became a real issue when the baddies were jacked on chemicals! We played with a few old AR 180s that had the 1/12 twist and they were not very accurate nor did they have very good range, but were really nice in other areas thanks to the folding stocks!
yeah , sucks....give our warriors something to penetrate gear, body armor and a steel pot helmet at 600 meters....... then go and pick a fight with people that wear rags

AR15.jpg 21tn53.jpg

AR15.jpg

21tn53.jpg

If memory serves me correct, these were the smallest and lightest of the M16 platform. 1967 on? I also remember the XM was sort of experiment platform for equipment while the CAR was more of the M4 of its day, able to be configured a little more then standard!

My understanding is barrel length needs to be 16 inch with out muzzle device installed, Correct?

Yes but you also go shorter as long as the muzzle devise is permenitly attached (pinned or welded) and has the total length of at least 16" from the closed bolt to end of the muzzle or permentily attached muzzle device.

does that preclude having the short old school triangle hand guards?

there was shortened triangle Hand guards but thats uncommon and short lived. they typically used short round ones skinny ones pre M4

Also, any recommendations for light weight upper and lowers that retain a fixed carry handle, forward assist, and dust cover in place.

The A1 receiver is light weight with a fixed handle and carry handle and forward assist and dust cover. the C7 type will as well but it also includes a shell deflector. The M16 or SP1 receivers are the lightest carry handle receivers as they do not have the shell deflector or forwards assist.

I don't want any plastic and I don't want any thing carved out! Basically I want a XM-177/ CAR16 sort of look, at least as close as I can get! Any advice on the WYLDE chamber?

just find a barrel with your expectations as far as a WYLDE chamber goes they sell plenty of them . go with a skinny LW profile to make it look correct though.

Also advice on twist?

Early barrels carbine barrel were made in the 1/12 twist for 55 grain bullets. later the military with to 1/7 for the 62 grain and up commercial barrel makers make a lot of 1/9 which is pretty popular because it shoots both very well.

Any other thoughts, recommendations, tips and tricks?

Building a authentic or as close as you can get will get pretty spendy and or time consuming but its a lot of fun looking for the parts . Some guys just build something close and replace the parts with authentic parts as they need them or keep as is. What ever you'll have fun with it.

I posted this in the classifieds not quite what you're looking for. I saw a guy posted a link to skinny CAR15 hand guards just to note those are plastic Colt uses a bakelite material that withstands heat better and are stronger. but they are getting harder and harder to find.

<broken link removed>

Since the 94 AW ban ended a lot of people have moved over to building retro style CAR15s and AR15s so it has become quite popular. its funny cause during the ban a M16 or SP1 barrel would sell for $125-180 and the Colt M4 barrels were going for $300
now its the opposite with M16 Sp1 barrels going for $300+ and Colt M4 barrels around $200

Last Edited:
My understanding is barrel length needs to be 16 inch with out muzzle device installed, Correct?

Yes but you also go shorter as long as the muzzle devise is permenitly attached (pinned or welded) and has the total length of at least 16" from the closed bolt to end of the muzzle or permentily attached muzzle device.

does that preclude having the short old school triangle hand guards?

there was shortened triangle Hand guards but thats uncommon and short lived. they typically used short round ones skinny ones pre M4

Also, any recommendations for light weight upper and lowers that retain a fixed carry handle, forward assist, and dust cover in place.

The A1 receiver is light weight with a fixed handle and carry handle and forward assist and dust cover. the C7 type will as well but it also includes a shell deflector. The M16 or SP1 receivers are the lightest carry handle receivers as they do not have the shell deflector or forwards assist.

I don't want any plastic and I don't want any thing carved out! Basically I want a XM-177/ CAR16 sort of look, at least as close as I can get! Any advice on the WYLDE chamber?

just find a barrel with your expectations as far as a WYLDE chamber goes they sell plenty of them . go with a skinny LW profile to make it look correct though.

Also advice on twist?

Early barrels carbine barrel were made in the 1/12 twist for 55 grain bullets. later the military with to 1/7 for the 62 grain and up commercial barrel makers make a lot of 1/9 which is pretty popular because it shoots both very well.

Any other thoughts, recommendations, tips and tricks?

Building a authentic or as close as you can get will get pretty spending and or time consuming but its a lot of fun looking for the parts . Some guys just build something close and replace the parts with authentic parts as they need them or keep as is. What ever you have fun with it.

Thanks for the advice and input, I really appreciate it!
I'm just trying to replicate the first carbine I was issued back in the day, (1989) while taking advantage of a few unseen modern advents that make these even better then they all ready were! Ours had the triangle hand guards for a short time then got switched over as we kept breaking them. I hear the new aftermarket ones are way stronger now days! I really liked how those feel! Just need to decide if I wanna do with out the FW assist to complete the build! I did have to use that a few times, but not that big a deal! We were trained to stomp one open if needed to clear one out!

Again, I can't really tell what's retro looking about those rifles in the above photos. They look like variations on a theme to me.

The XM-177/CAR-15 was actually military issue (not standard issue but could be wrong) that came in different variations. So its an actual retro look, for those who know about them.

If memory serves me correct, these were the smallest and lightest of the M16 platform. 1967 on? I also remember the XM was sort of experiment platform for equipment while the CAR was more of the M4 of its day, able to be configured a little more then standard!

Different variations I think, but they did get pretty short.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top