JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
seems a cheaper pistol compared to some price wise but what about reliability? read alot of horror stories about slides cracking and rails wearing, feed problems.... would like to have a cheap to opperate pistol for plinking opposed to my xdm .40.

I have one, a little over 1000 rounds so far, it's been fantastic. Walther has been slowly fixing all of the problems, the trigger bar ears are fairly smooth on mine but dig into the slide a little but not enough for me to worry about. Just don't use the slide stop to release the slide, the slide in zinc and it'll slowly round off the notch and the slide wont lock back. No failures in mine except dud ammo, it's pretty accurate too..

Check out "The P22 Bible" for some tips and tricks for the P22, like I said mine's pretty new and doesn't really have any of the problems mentioned in the "bible"..

I Bought one about a year ago when I was getting my kids interested in shooting. They picked it out because it was easy to operate the slide, Cool factor, etc. I will say that it is a fun gun. I have not had any real problems. That said, the sights are not very good ( elevation is adjusted with 3 replaceable front beads, low med and high), and the trigger is stiff. If I was wanting a small lightweight plinker and and was not concerned with accuracy etc, and wanted a backpack gun to shoot cans, it would be a good choice, but I would choose my Ruger Mark II Bull barrel 99% of the time to go shooting if it were just me.

I bought a brand new one in the summer of 09, it is a wonderful plinker and only $300. No problems at all with about 400 rounds thru it. But, have you checked out the new Kel Tec .22 (PMR30)pistol that holds 30 rounds, I want one of those. I may have a P22 for sale very soon.;)

I bought an early edition P22 which are supposed to be less reliable. I have well over 1000 rounds through it and I've never had a problem. t helps to just shoot CCI or some good ammo through it. Cheaper ammo can jam. I actually bought my brand new for like $180.00. If that makes you feel like there "cheap" now.

I love it. Easy to take apart unlike some others. Mags are kinda spendy for a 22 mag, but I think it's worth it.

I picked one up early last year just to have a smaller .22 that my girlfriend would have an easier time handling. Didn't have any real issues with it, single-action, the trigger was decent, couldn't stand the double-action trigger pull.

Like the other guys said, use good quality ammo, and it'll run fine. Personally, if I'm going plinking, I'll stick with my Buckmark Pro Target.

Buckmark or woodsman are better investments. Mark II/III is a better target gun. P22 is a good value. Just be clear on what you are looking for when you buy it.

I actually opted to go with a .22 conversion kit for my 1911. That way I get more trigger time with my actual carry gun, get to train with my laser grips for less $ and the great trigger my Kimber already has.

I actually opted to go with a .22 conversion kit for my 1911. That way I get more trigger time with my actual carry gun, get to train with my laser grips for less $ and the great trigger my Kimber already has.

That's a smart play. Anything you can do to be more comfortable and confident with the gun you trust your life with is a good idea.

I'm a Walther guy. I own two P22s. My recommendation: Buy something else. The P22 is a Umarex gun, not a Walther. Umarex is Walther's parent company; it makes air pistols, which ought to tell you everything you need to know about the P22. A nice Ruger or Browning will serve your needs perfectly well and give you many years of quality service, after which you can hand the gun down to your kids. The P22 is the Bic lighter of .22s: use it until it falls apart, then toss it away and buy ... a Ruger or a Browning.

A mark II is a way better gun for the money (as far as being accurate, well made, and the fact that they will generally last forever), but the walther P22 is one of the most comfortable and fun to shoot guns I own.

I've still got less than 1k rounds through mine, but it's only had a few jams with federal bulk ammo, which is acceptable to me for a plinker.

The only things I don't like about mine is that it throws the brass all over the place, and the mag release is awkward for me.

I've heard that these are usually worn out by about 10k rounds too, so if you plan on shooting a whole lot, you're better off getting a ruger or buckmark. (Although they're not as comfortable (to me), or as sexy looking as the walther). But if you want something that's fun to shoot, light weight, comfortable, and looks good, then the they're not bad guns.

I had one and got rid of it. It was very picky with ammo, (it didnt like the Federal or Remington bulk-pack stuff), I didnt like the mag release, and I really didnt like the safety. It doesnt have a decocker, you have to put the safety on and then pull the trigger to drop the hammer. I couldnt get used to that.

I have one I bought a few years ago. I do not like the safety, it is up for fire and down for safe. The front sight fell off. I got a free replacement and was told by the supplier to glue it back on. While it is compact, it is less accurate than my Buckmark. With an adaptor it fits my silencer well.

Ranb

When you are considering buying a firearm the first question should be "What materials were used in making this gun?". The slide on the P-22 is made of Zamak, which is 96% zinc, just like a Jimenez, Highpoint (A highpoint for their bank account! :s0114:) Jennings, RG, and many other guns I wouldn't want anyone to know I ever owned.

I won't go into my opinion of plastics, but it's your opinion that matters. If you think that zinc and plastic are gun making materials buy one. For me, that's all there is I know about those guns, it's more than enough for me.

I put at least 3,000+ rounds through my P22 5" target version. I picked it up used, but it looked like it wasn't used much. I normally fed it walmart bulk ammuntion, with pretty good results. As long as I kept the feed ramp clean I rarely had any problems. Some of the older magazines have quite a few problems. It is a plinker...

I think the gun is what it is, a low end 22LR pistol. If you want something that will shoot accurately/better/out last the owner, you might want to invest in a higher quality pistol. The P22 in comparrison to my Ruger Mark 2 or even my Challenger 2 will get out shot everyday of the week. I would NEVER sell my Mark 2, but I got rid of my P22 quite a while back...I have yet to miss it!

I think I've owned three for four of these guns now. I have no idea what you people are feeding them. I've had no issues with any of my guns running everything from Winchester Super-X and CCI mini-mag all the way down to nasty Remington Thunderbolt. They work. They are what they are. They are inexpensive plinkers. They aren't self-defense guns. I haven't had any stoppages with any of my p22's but if I did, I wouldn't worry until it became an epidemic problem. I enjoy shooting my p22's. I throw them in my pack when I drive over the pass. But they're trade bait. I get rid of them because they are always replaceable...

I bought a P22 for my wife for just plinking out at the range. she only has a couple of hundred rounds through it but really likes it. it fits her hands perfect, is darn accurate, and so far has functioned perfect. you can spend more money and get more gun that you can do more extreme things with but in this price range and used as it's intended this gun is hard to beat.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top