JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I need to replace my antique aluminum rifle cleaning rods and I'm wondering about the difference between carbon fiber and stainless steel. Does a carbon fiber .22 rifle rod flex more than stainless? What about retaining grit?
I have modernized my pistol kit with Pro Shot, micro polished stainless rods and I like them very well! BTW I'm planning to get one piece rods.
Thanks for any info or opinions you can send my way!:D

That's a really good question.. all I can say is I've been very happy with my stainless one piece rifle length Rig Rod for going on thirty years now.

I would like to find a metal cleaning rod with a metal swab tip. Nylon or plastic sucks in MHO. If the metal rod can scotch the rifling's you have one bad gun. The rifling's in my guns just don't scratch, even the cheaper guns. Brass or stainless would be fine. One that would be pistol and take on extra rods for rifles is what I am looking for. My grandson gave me a army cleaning rod for my pistols and it is great, metal tip included but no retail brush will fit. The threads are different and bigger.

Last Edited:
I cringe at the thought of an aluminum sectional rod cleaning an expensive rifle. Rifles can be worn out more by improper cleaning than by shooting. A lot of rifles have been ruined by cleaning from the muzzle with a steal rod. Such as M-1 Garands. Always use a muzzle guide on rifles you cannot clean from the breach. And always clean from the breach if possible.

What I use and the number one choice of competition shooters is the one piece Dewey nylon
coated. I have several different sizes and have used them for years.

Thanks for the info! Rocky, Midway USA is having a Tipton cleaning supply's sale. An 8pc slotted tip set w/ 8x32 male threads is $7.95.
It's a good sale!

I recently went to all Tipton carbon rods and guides. I love them. I watched amazon until a good deal pops up. I think mine were 30-40 each shipped.

Thanks for the info! Rocky, Midway USA is having a Tipton cleaning supply's sale. An 8pc slotted tip set w/ 8x32 male threads is $7.95.
It's a good sale!

I use the Tipton rods as well, I have three of them, two for Rifles and one for Pistols. They work very well for me, in fact I was using to larger of patches on my AR and actually had to hammer one out of the barrel. The Tipton rod took the abuse just fine. I also have a set of Tipton brass jags and Cabela's brushes for all calibers, so instead of a clean kit for each rifle, I just pick out what I need from my set. I did get one of the cheap "universal" cleaning kits a while back and frankly it's garbage. Someone out there may make a nice set, but I have not found it. The last thing I picked up where chamber guides. I have some universal ones made by MTM that get the job done and I have a really nice piece made by Possom Hallow for my AR. I may replace the MTM chamber guides in the future, but no reason to right now as they work.

I use the Tipton rods as well, I have three of them, two for Rifles and one for Pistols. They work very well for me, in fact I was using to larger of patches on my AR and actually had to hammer one out of the barrel. The Tipton rod took the abuse just fine. I also have a set of Tipton brass jags and Cabela's brushes for all calibers, so instead of a clean kit for each rifle, I just pick out what I need from my set. I did get one of the cheap "universal" cleaning kits a while back and frankly it's garbage. Someone out there may make a nice set, but I have not found it. The last thing I picked up where chamber guides. I have some universal ones made by MTM that get the job done and I have a really nice piece made by Possom Hallow for my AR. I may replace the MTM chamber guides in the future, but no reason to right now as they work.

Diesel, the midway/Tipton sale includes a universal bore guide. I don't know know how well they work but Tipton has a reputation for excellence.
I'm going to go for aTipton rifle rod, sets of jags and bronze brushes and a set of bronze brushes for handguns.

You may want to consider a boresnake for routine cleaning. Fast, easy to carry, and fine for everything but really deep cleaning. I've had some of mine for years and they haven't worn out. I clean them in a sink with dish detergent when they get too grungy (I don't recommend using the kitchen sink). No chance of scratching the bore since you pull them through and the weight and bristles are brass. You can also find them on sale at Midway or Amazon from time to time.

Diesel, the midway/Tipton sale includes a universal bore guide. I don't know know how well they work but Tipton has a reputation for excellence.
I'm going to go for aTipton rifle rod, sets of jags and bronze brushes and a set of bronze brushes for handguns.

I also have the Tipton bore guide, brushes,wall mount and jag set. They have made cleaning fun and actually efficient. I have seen "better" carbon rods out there with a much higher price tag to match. For a great tool for a good price I just think the Tipton stuff is hard to beat.

A tight fitting bore guide is more important than the brand of rod you buy, provided the rod is one piece and of the right diameter.

Sinclair makes some good bore guides designed for specific calibers. However there are one size fits all for rods, so if your rod is small in diameter, you will have some slop. For a quality custom barrel spend the extra money and get something like a Lucas bore guide that is not only sized for the caliber but the diameter of the rod you use.

I have Tipton carbon fiber rods and a Pro Shot stainless. One of my Tipton rods is for 17/20 calibers and I have to say it is too wimpy. I'm afraid at some point it will shatter, so I'm careful not to push too hard. I would rather have a coated stainless for those calibers. The other two Tipton rods are for 22 caliber up to 6mm and they are ideal. The Pro Shot is for 30 caliber and while I'd rather not have a non-coated stainless rod, I figure beings I don't have to clean my 30-06 all that often I doubt I will do much damage with it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top