JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In another thread STEVE FROM CERBERUS GROUP. said when discussing the 21 foot rule or he said it's not a rule it is the minimum.if I remember.
He said a man can still go for 30 seconds or more with his heart blown out .
How many shots can you get off in 30 seconds .
Or how many times can you get stabbed in 30 seconds .
I used to have a bunch of videos and photos of people and cops that had been stabbed .
In A FEW SECONDS.
But there are videos out there that will show how much damage a guy with a knife can do in a few seconds

Yep the drug zombies are what scare me now days. With so many camera's now days we get to see a lot of shootings. It gets scary how many show some zombie soaking up rounds from a service pistol and not stopping. These are the kind who may well break into an occupied home.

Lol I wouldn't say end the relationship unless she can't or won't listen to common sense GUN CONTROL.
AKA HITTING WHAT YOU AIM AT .
THE CHEST AND FACE .LOL

Lol I said I was going to keep it short and sweet.
But this is something that hits home a on going conversation in my house .lol
Lol even my little libral neice .if you ask her she will say .TWO TO THE CHEST ONE TO THE FACE.

From what OP says, gf is not anti-gun, and appreciates his carrying when they are in rough areas. So things could be a lot worse. Sounds like she isn't situation aware, and doesnt take evil and danger as seriously as most of us. Its a matter of world view. And that can be changed by facts, arguments, and experience. That's very different from being so rabidly anti gun that she is not open to argument. Many women who end up being gun competent start from about there. The first time a friend gets attacked, for example, will likely really change gf's world view. Even a sister having a bad dream did so to some extent.

So my lady has a heart of gold but lacks self preservation instinct. What I mean by this is she is overly willing to help people without thinking of the possible consequences. I use real life situations to talk through and ask what she would do. Then we talk about the error of her ways. She gets it, but....

We've determined that edc is not a good option for her. In a shtf scenario, sure I'd give her a rifle, but in a SD situation, not sure she could do what was needed vs the possibility of losing the weapon.
She's the "why couldn't X have shot them in the leg?" type

Shoot em in the leg!

Forward her the video as well as news stories and videos of common crimes such as purse snatch in Wal-mart parking lot, lady attacked in the park and home invasions.

Female trainers are few....

My Gal has trained with Gila Hayes years ago of Seattle firearms academy. And loved it, you may call and see what they can do for you and her.

Don't know where the OP is in WA but here's one if he's at the other end of I-5
B.A.B.S Firearms Training

Sadly, it sounds like his woman will require a close call for reality to set in, hopefully it won't be too close.

"Well would she at least carry a gun if it was loaded with bird shot? Convince her the stuff CCI makes for snakes would almost surely never kill a person. It would be far from ideal but given a choice between that and nothing I would take it. If she needed she can always aim for the face."
This is a bad idea on steroids. There is no stun setting on a firearm - every shot fired at a person IS lethal force by definition. If she shoots some orc in the face with birdshot she will be in court for the rest of her life (I just asked her for the time and she shot me...). By using what she thinks is non-lethal she just confirmed that she does not consider lethal force to be justified. By using birdshot she is just going to p1$$ the orc off with concomitant harm to her. There is no upside to this idea. She should carry pepper spray or stay home, but definitely do not carry a gun with that outlook.

Sounds like you have some work cut out for you. However the fact that she's on the path and starting to realize the kind of dangers she may face in life is a good start. A great book for upping your situational awareness is Left of Bang by Patrick Van Horne and Jason A. Riley. It will help her to understand how to look for clues in her environment and watch how the people around her act. I would frame situational awareness as not just about looking for threats but about being aware of and truly attentive to those around you. You should listen for things like a cry for help, but consider the source, time and place. The totality of the circumstances must be kept in mind.

Compassion for others and wanting to help are all fine things and shows what a kind person she is.

She just needs more training and experience in order to assess these kinds of situations. I second the notion of her learning first aid / getting trauma trained. (It's certainly on my To Do list) Once she has the mindset of being able to protect herself in place and the training to either deal with a threat or actually help someone I think she'll fare a lot better. I would work on getting her into a true EDC mindset. The idea of shooting to wound comes from too many movies, misconceptions reinforced through media about what an attack on your life is like. Plus if she ever does have to use a firearm in self defense that notion will cause problems after the fact.

An important thing to realize also is that you can be a compassionate and caring person, while at the same time be willing to do what is necessary to protect yourself. The two things are not mutually exclusive. "Yes I am willing to shoot this person, because they are trying to rape/maim or kill me. I must stop them NOW. They may die as a result" It is not an act of malice or cruelty.

FAS has a few women instructors, I'd also recommend SafeFire if you're further south/close to Vancouver. They have all kinds of women oriented activities and classes. And female instructors of course. I'm not as familiar with what's available in the Seattle area or out in Spokane. But I'm sure their's something. If she wants to carry something less lethal (pepper spray, Taser) then get her trained up in that. I would also suggest martial arts such as Judo.

If you think she's a keeper in everything else, just have patience and take the time to work on this. She'll get there eventually. :thumbsup:

Another book that's pretty good MVIMG_20180915_182338.jpg

So my lady has a heart of gold but lacks self preservation instinct. What I mean by this is she is overly willing to help people without thinking of the possible consequences. I use real life situations to talk through and ask what she would do. Then we talk about the error of her ways. She gets it, but....

We've determined that edc is not a good option for her. In a shtf scenario, sure I'd give her a rifle, but in a SD situation, not sure she could do what was needed vs the possibility of losing the weapon.
She's the "why couldn't X have shot them in the leg?" type vs my 'do whatever it takes'. Hopefully, muscle memory would kick in the 'two in the chest, one in the head' drill if it ever came to that.

What I'd like is something like a card game that gives a scenario and talks about what you would do.
Preferably self defense situations. Any such game exist that you'd recommend?
BEAR SPRAY .If she ever has to use it she will probably graduate to edc

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top