JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,

I recall an issue over the wording of the proposed and failed 2013 modern firearm ban (I won't call them assault weapons) that made it sound like even grandfathered firearms would not be allowed to be bought or sold. Now when I go back and look at it, it seems very clear that transferring ownership of grandfathered firearms would be allowed.

Anyone else remember this issue or am I crazy? I usually make an effort to fact check things closely if I'm going to throw my weight into a political issue. I have trouble believing I wouldn't have looked this up back then. Was there an early, poorly written draft released before it got all cleaned up?

Anyone else remember thinking transfer of posession would not be allowed if that bill passed? Why did we think that?

I did look at Oregon state constitution. Sections: 11, 18 & 27 would make it clear that resistance of the state have rights that are supposed to be respected.

Last Edited:
... I recall an issue over the wording of the proposed and failed 2013 modern firearm ban (I won't call them assault weapons) that made it sound like even grandfathered firearms would not be allowed to be bought or sold. Now when I go back and look at it, it seems very clear that transferring ownership of grandfathered firearms would be allowed. ...

The text should be here: S.150 - 113th Congress (2013-2014): Assault Weapons Ban of 2013 It does say this in the summary but I haven't looked at the actual text:

Excludes from such ban any semiautomatic assault weapon that: (1) is lawfully possessed on the date of enactment of this Act (grandfathered weapon); ...​

Was it the requirement that grandfathered firearms have the date stamped on them?

From the bill on the requirements of grandfathered items.
"Requires identification markings (i.e., serial number and the date of manufacture) on semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices."

None of my firearms or magazines have dates stamped on them.

Anyone remember if that was what sparked fears nothing would be grandfathered in?
Edited to fix typos.

One would presume firearms manufacturers would keep a record of when each serial number, or at least a series of them, was completed. This would be a more difficult issue with home built stuff.

Anyway, maybe it was just some crossed info, like something out of or proposed in CA or MA blending with the Federal bill?

One thing that really struck me about SB5444 this year, at least it's original incarnation, was that it had no real grandfather clause -- after a year or two (I think it was set for 2020), you'd have to get a license for the semi-autos you already owned prior to enactment. That was pretty radical as most ban legislation includes a grandfather clause.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top