JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
mossberg 500 or 535 combo. depends how big of shells you want to be able to shoot.

i have a 535 with well over 20,000 rounds thru it. i have never had one issue that was the gun or ammos fault.

i used the mag tube as a mallet in a pinch. woulda had to been there to know my dilemma. LOL.

Hey everyone, was hoping to get some advice. I am looking at getting a shotgun, and as the title suggests, I need it to be flexible.
I would like to use it for home defense, and be able to hunt deer/turkey. now, I know that for home defense, i should be looking for the shorter barrels. At the same time, i know that for hunting the longer barrels are needed.

Is there a "magic" barrel length that would be good for both? Should i be looking for something like a combo (GUNWATCHER.COM ) Or would it just be better to buy 2 different shotguns for that price point?

I know you all have thought about the same things for yourselves... What were your conclusions?
If you get a break action shotgun (like a single or a double), you can opt to have one receiver and a couple of different barrels, specifically for different purposes.
As for shorter barrels, don't count out the "youth" versions of a certain model. These typically feature a barrel length shorter than what's available for the "adult" version of the same model.
"Coach guns" which often feature short barrels, are usually stand-alone formats.
However, I'm pretty sure Stoeger's "Coach/HD" gun is based on their normal SxS hunting shotty.
There was another make that was the same way, but who that is escapes my memory anymore.
Nice thing about break-action guns, is that the barrels are easy to change out (easier than with other action types), especially if the fore-arm can snap on/off.

Dean
P.S. To expound on that idea further, if you notice a certain company offers both a break action rifle and shotgun, in their single shot model, you could expand your options by buying the rifle, then opting for a couple of shotgun barrels to fit it for when the need arises to use those.
Thus, could have one gun that shoots, say, .308 and 12 ga. (maybe one is 28"/modified for upland, the other is 22" "youth" barrel opened up to cylinder or Skeet #1 for HD).

Last Edited:
Hey everyone, was hoping to get some advice. I am looking at getting a shotgun, and as the title suggests, I need it to be flexible.
I would like to use it for home defense, and be able to hunt deer/turkey. now, I know that for home defense, i should be looking for the shorter barrels. At the same time, i know that for hunting the longer barrels are needed.

Is there a "magic" barrel length that would be good for both? Should i be looking for something like a combo (GUNWATCHER.COM ) Or would it just be better to buy 2 different shotguns for that price point?

I know you all have thought about the same things for yourselves... What were your conclusions?
You'll need a 30" Full choke barrel for the turks.
And a 26" (or shorter) barrel for home defense.
(easy to swap barrels on pumps and autos)

Assuming pump guns:
Basic = Mossberg 500 or Rem 870 Express
Nicer = Rem 870 Wingmaster

Last Edited:
+1 for the Mossberg 500 duo.
I had a 500c 20gauge with both barrels, and I paid about $400 new in box.
It was great, I only sold it because I lost my jobs and needed the money to pay rent, but
I'd still have it today if not for that
It covered all the bases, except for long range rifle anyways. But it put meat on the table, and
with the additional barrel it'll handle two-legged predators in the home.

Late to the party, but another vote for the Mossy combo. Although I did pick up a NIB 870 on black friday that after Remington sending me two rebate checks ended up costing me just under 2 bills. Pick up a new/used short barrel at the gun show and I'm still well under $300.00;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top