JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everyone, was hoping to get some advice. I am looking at getting a shotgun, and as the title suggests, I need it to be flexible.
I would like to use it for home defense, and be able to hunt deer/turkey. now, I know that for home defense, i should be looking for the shorter barrels. At the same time, i know that for hunting the longer barrels are needed.

Is there a "magic" barrel length that would be good for both? Should i be looking for something like a combo (GUNWATCHER.COM ) Or would it just be better to buy 2 different shotguns for that price point?

I know you all have thought about the same things for yourselves... What were your conclusions?

Last Edited:
Get a mossberg 500 combo kit. It will have an 18.5" barrel for home defense and a 28" barrel for the field. Barrel changes are cake and you have just what you want.

+1 on the interchangeable barrels. Why buy two shotguns when the barrels change out so quickly. I also have a high cap mag for use with my shorter barrel.

Hey everyone, was hoping to get some advice. I am looking at getting a shotgun, and as the title suggests, I need it to be flexible.
I would like to use it for home defense, and be able to hunt deer/turkey. now, I know that for home defense, i should be looking for the shorter barrels. At the same time, i know that for hunting the longer barrels are needed.

Is there a "magic" barrel length that would be good for both? Should i be looking for something like a combo (GUNWATCHER.COM ) Or would it just be better to buy 2 different shotguns for that price point?

I know you all have thought about the same things for yourselves... What were your conclusions?
Another Vote for the Mossy two barrel. Just an educated wild guess. I would bet there must be more Mossy 500's out there than any other. They work, they are cheaper than many others, after market parts galore. For Deer and home one barrel will work. Short with decent sights. The same barrel will work for slugs and buckshot, so you're covered. Get the full length tube, just put a plug in if needed when hunting. With the second barrel you can have a Poly-Choke added later if you want the best of all worlds. When I lived in the SW I used a Mossy cut to 18 to hunt upland birds. I loved the short swing for that kind of hunting. Had a Poly put on it so I could use it for other stuff if I ever wanted. Was great for around the house too. I still see these 2 barrel combos on sale a lot at some of the big sporting retailers. Hard to go wrong with this.

A: barrel length has NOTHING to do with hunting/shot pattern.
B: only the CHOKE changes the pattern of the shot.
C: a long barrel is used to keep from OVERSWINGING a target that's in the air or on the ground. Also add a little better sight picture for aiming.

Months ago I shot some trap with a 20" side by side that used chokes. First time out I did 14/20 or something like that. Not bad considering some of the other guys (all just out having fun) were using longer barrel, multiple shot guns.

One of the best and lowest priced combos is the Mossberg 500 that you find anywhere. Somewhere around $320 in price. They have an 18" cylinder bore for home defense, come with a 26-28" bird barrel that takes chokes so you can run anything from #8 shot all the way to slugs. (can shoot slugs in that shorter barrel too).

I've owned half a dozen Mossberg 500's, all but one had a combo barrel. I keep coming back to them and I'm sure I'll have another one sometime in the future.

My current is a Mossberg 930 JM Pro for the lighter recoil on bad shoulders. It takes chokes from cylinder bore through the xtra full for turkey. It has a 22" barrel which I can manage and keep swing down. It was loaned to a buddy and has already blasted one coyote. This one though is in the $630 range new.

Last Edited:
A new barrel will cost between $150 and $200, when you get the Mossberg 500 with the 2 barrels, it's like getting a free Barrel.

Also...

There are a lot of things you can hang on a shotgun to make it look cool, most of them are hood ornaments.

I hunt rabbits with a 20" barrel Rem 870 and it works a real treat as my mom would say. I would assume as said above that for grouse and quail since the range and need for speed on target is similar between Jack rabbits and upland birds it would do as well. The advise for the Mossberg two barrel kit sounds like exactly what you need.

I have had a Rem 870 20 ga youth model since I was 13.. it has the 20in barrel on it and the stock is cut down a little with a different butt pad on it.. Excellent shotgun, I have never shot a Mossberg but know a few guys that own em and love em. I will probably be getting a mossberg in 12ga sometime in the future.. Went shooting birds with my brother in law and he was smoking birds with his 12ga that I couldnt touch, I dont think he had a full choke but its possible, I have a modified the last time I checked in mine, It sure does a number on clay pigeons in my hand :) @Dyjital knows about that hahaha

I have had a Rem 870 20 ga youth model since I was 13.. it has the 20in barrel on it and the stock is cut down a little with a different butt pad on it.. Excellent shotgun, I have never shot a Mossberg but know a few guys that own em and love em. I will probably be getting a mossberg in 12ga sometime in the future.. Went shooting birds with my brother in law and he was smoking birds with his 12ga that I couldnt touch, I dont think he had a full choke but its possible, I have a modified the last time I checked in mine, It sure does a number on clay pigeons in my hand :) @Dyjital knows about that hahaha
Rub it in... salt in a wound.

Id upgrade to a Rem 870 - they have 2 barrel combo packages as well.

I know tons of people like the cheapness of the mossbergs but I've always thought the 870 had better fit and finish.

Otherwise, I'd buy 2 used ones from a pawn or gun shop, One for each use and then no changing is required and you always know your HD gun is loaded and ready.

Id upgrade to a Rem 870 - they have 2 barrel combo packages as well.

I know tons of people like the cheapness of the mossbergs but I've always thought the 870 had better fit and finish.

Otherwise, I'd buy 2 used ones from a pawn or gun shop, One for each use and then no changing is required and you always know your HD gun is loaded and ready.
You know why people are always making the debate between Mossberg 500 and Remington 870's?

Wise people know that the safety on the 500's are where God intended them to be; on the tang. Safeties on the 870 are bad for lefties.

Remington hates lefties.

Mossberg also decided to make the shell lifter go up and out of the way on the 500's while Remington decided to make sure fumble for the hole like your first time.

See? Easy to come to the conclusion that Remington hates gun owners and Remington owners can't see it. Blinded by their love.

:eek:

You know why people are always making the debate between Mossberg 500 and Remington 870's?

Wise people know that the safety on the 500's are where God intended them to be; on the tang. Safeties on the 870 are bad for lefties.

Remington hates lefties.

Mossberg also decided to make the shell lifter go up and out of the way on the 500's while Remington decided to make sure fumble for the hole like your first time.

See? Easy to come to the conclusion that Remington hates gun owners and Remington owners can't see it. Blinded by their love.

It's not just Rem that hates lefties, it's everyone :p:D j/k.

It's not my fault your unable to operate an 870 without fumbling:D:p.

I grew up with them and find them very intuitive and natural to be honest.

I have an old one though and no idea what new ones are like.

Edit:
The only gun I use a safety on is a 1911 - otherwise I have no use for them.

Remington hates lefties.

So what you are saying is Mossbergs are easy pootie-tang.... safeties.

:p

Last Edited:
Get a mossberg 500 combo kit. It will have an 18.5" barrel for home defense and a 28" barrel for the field. Barrel changes are cake and you have just what you want.

DITTO! These are not "cheap" shotguns, they are very well made, in fact they will last a lifetime!
I have a combo set that I bought for my son in 1988. Still run like new! Have fun! :)

I vote for Remington or Mossberg the 2 barrels. You'll get a good shotgun either way. Hold em and see where the slide release is and such and what you prefer. I use an older 870 w 2 barrels hogue shorty stocks and metal mag extension. The boy has the Mossberg 2 barrel w pistol grip and a heat shield. Not what I would do.

Ditto on the two barrel packages, been so long since I actually bought a new shottie I didnt know that such existed. That said, I highly recommend the 870 with an 18 inch bbl (with tritium sights if you can afford them) and the longer 26"-28" barrel for hunting. My longer bbl has a rib which is nice for wingshooting.. short one has "glo-in-the-dark" sights and aims very well.
IF I lived in a shotgun-only area I would get a barrel with scope mounts and slow-twist rifling for better aiming and to stabilise slugs. :)
Ditto on the tube extensions to increase your payload. Some of the fighting shotties come with these as stock equipment.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top