Need advice for safe

Discussion in 'Gun Safes & Secure Storage' started by Lars, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Lars

Lars
    Clackamas

I'm looking to buy a safe before the end of the year. What would you recommend? Figure 5-6 pistols and 10-12 rifles. Any good deals out there right now?

hker71 likes this.
  2. BSG 75

BSG 75
    Oregon
    Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

Decide which size safe would best fit your needs, then buy the next larger size.

3. Joe13

Joe13
    NW of Vancouver
    Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

Best answer:cool:

4. Joe13

Joe13
    NW of Vancouver
    Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

Size aside, you need a budget.

Digital or analog dial?

Can you get it where you want it etc.

5. 808hondacrguy

808hondacrguy
    Eugene,OR
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

^^^This^^^^ always go bigger than you "THINK" you need. :) Real world experience talking here ;)

Stomper, solv3nt, Alexx1401 and 3 others like this.
  6. USMC1911

USMC1911
    Salem

Go to Hubbard and look at the Liberty safes. Some great deals but they have a great selection also so you can see what ya like and don't like. Figure out where you want to put it first and foremost. Also figure out how much fire protection you need. Size of the safe is just one of the details. :)

Stomper, maddog, bbbass and 4 others like this.
  7. 41mag

41mag
    sunny Orygun
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Be aware gun safes act like antenna/accumulators and you're likely to become overcome with various 'gun stuff' far more rapidly than you anticipate...

Stomper, P7id10T, Medic! and 4 others like this.
  8. nammac

nammac
    I-5 Corridor - West of Portland
    Constitutionalist Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

Check Costal Farm, they carry Liberty as well and may have some deals with Christmas pending...

9. arakboss

arakboss
    Portland, Oregon
    Well-Known Member 2018 Volunteer

Or decide what size you need and double it. You will thank me later.

Stomper, P7id10T, Alexx1401 and 2 others like this.
  10. arakboss

arakboss
    Portland, Oregon
    Well-Known Member 2018 Volunteer

I got mine from bulldogtuffsafes they are good people.

ItsLunchBOX likes this.
  11. DuneHopper

DuneHopper
    (2- " Q " -+1)
    Civility is a two way street. Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Just be careful why bigger is better, some sacrifice fire-rating to make them larger.,

Vaultman, maddog and bbbass like this.
  12. hker71

hker71
    Portland Metro

Costco has some decent safes from time to time. I have a Liberty and Fort Knox safe and a smaller one (Protector) I bought from Costco in my room. I purchased all of them locally. The people at Liberty safes in Hubbard are good people. They do charge to deliver though. My Fort Knox had two free moves.

Like has been said above, you end up buying more stuff to fill it. Buy a little larger and you will be ahead for a while. Good luck!:)

bbbass likes this.
  13. 41mag

41mag
    sunny Orygun

re: "Any good deals out there right now?"

important to clarify the difference between 'good deal' and 'cheap'

bbbass likes this.
  14. Lars

Lars
    Clackamas

Are the liberty safes a good value? Are you paying extra for the name?

bbbass likes this.
  15. 41mag

41mag
    sunny Orygun

I'm happy with the 2 Liberty safes I've had.
    The dealer in Oregon City (Jerry) for decades was the Liberty dealer for this sector. Check out his show room to compare features & cost before you decide. He delivers.

partsed, Medic!, maddog and 1 other person like this.
  16. 3MTA3

3MTA3
    Western Oregon
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

When I was looking last spring I got a far better deal at Liberty in Hubbard than I could get at Cabelas, Coastal Farm, or any other place I had looked at. I spent slightly more than I had budgeted, but got plate steel instead of folded steel on a safe that had a slight cosmetic flaw that I couldn't see and barely feel. Coastal had pretty good deals and likely would have bought from them had I not gotten the great deal in Hubbard.

Whatever safe you buy, remove the rifle support shelves and toss them. Replace with rifle rods and you can fit in more rifles and access them easier. The orange rods are easier to see than the black ones.

Lighting and dehumidifiers are also good features.

Make sure you have room for important documents, coin collections, other valuables, and also get a jewelry drawer for your wife.

Also, I went with a mechanical lock and I'm very happy with that decision. My immediate defense weapons are not in the safe and are always within reach.

17. Kruel J

Kruel J
    Orygun
    Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Lifetime Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Liberty. Enough said.

Stomper, maddog and Joe13 like this.
  18. 3MTA3

3MTA3
    Western Oregon
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I have to say after educating myself a bit and then looking around I agree. My safe was from their National Safe line, which interestingly started on Washington Street in Oregon City before they went to Salt Lake City and then acquired by Liberty.

bbbass likes this.
  19. Reno911

Reno911
    Hillsboro
    Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer 2018 Volunteer

My recommendation would be to go to Bull Dog Tuff Safes in Warren off Hwy 30. They carry a very large selection of brands. Prices from low to insane. They don’t push any brand, or price level, and their delivery and set up costs are very very fair. It’s a private business run by a husband and wife team on their property.

Bulldog Tuff Safes - office safes, gun safes and more!

I know lots of folks point to Liberty, but I wasn’t too impressed by the local shop and their general car dealer salesman approach. That and most of their safes are no better than the other stamped steel 8-10 gauge safes on the market. Especially where the locking bars meet on the frame.

When I worked for a local sporting goods store and folks asked me about the safes we carried I’d always ask the same question.

“Are you more afraid of a fire or a burglar?”

These are literally the only two things that safes help with.

Security and fire damage.

Technically flood damage and other natural damage can be a factor also. It’s good to think of these things too.

I chose both security and fire with my second safe. My 1st was staged inside the house and therefore the layers of security I had in place on my home added to the security of my safe, something you should also think about. My second safe is in the garage and therefore I wanted a higher security level. Both the first and the second had roughly the same fire protection, I got a slightly higher temp rating with an additional 30 minutes with the second safe.

Best of luck on your purchase. Once it’s all done, it feels good.

ItsLunchBOX, Dungannon and Alexx1401 like this.
  20. maddog

maddog
    Oregon

Liberty of Oregon had some blemish sale safes last week sometime. I did a lot of research before buyig mine and settled on a Liberty because of their higher fire rating, security history, construction, and being built in the USA.

Liberty Safes Oregon | Gun Safe Sales in Oregon & Washington

Fort Knox is another great safe but they're more expensive.

3MTA3 likes this.