JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Is trimming case necks worth the hassle?

• Yes

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters
Reactions
I'm contemplating following the rabbit hole a bit further with the addition of case turning. Not for length, but uniform neck wall thickness and concentricity. I'd like to hear from other people that actively turn case necks, or used to.

Did you notice any noticeable difference in your loads? Lower SD and/or ES? Better groups? Less fliers? Overall more consistency?

I've read a fair amount about it, but still on the fence and just looking for your opinions.

Last Edited:
I've turned a few necks on some 223 rounds. From a precision standpoint it makes sense, from the accuracy standpoint, I'm uncertain if that is the reason or if load or seating depth is helping. Too many factors involved with my loads lately, I really should only change one at a time. However I'm getting really good results. .3-.4" groupings using 52 grain ballistic tips while turning the necks to .012 at 100 yards from my Ruger American Ranch. If anything I'll state it adds to the consistency of my loads.

If you don't want to turn your necks down you could always just purchase new brass each time you load. Lapua brass, I find to be the most consistent in walk thickness, but pricey. Surprisingly, lake city brass is pretty consistent by year stamp, however one years may be completely different than another's.

What you're talking about is usually not called neck trimming, which is for length, but case turning for neck thickness and concentricity

It helps me but it's an investment and not worth ALL that much without custom dies and neck expander with annealing.

If it were me I'd worry about really getting the charge exact with a really accurate scale.

If you do want to turn cases, call Roger at K&M Precision Shooting Products, tell him what you want to do and follow his advice.

Good luck!

What you're talking about is usually not called neck trimming, which is for length, but case turning for neck thickness and concentricity

It helps me but it's an investment and not worth ALL that much without custom dies and neck expander with annealing.

If it were me I'd worry about really getting the charge exact with a really accurate scale.

If you do want to turn cases, call Roger at K&M Precision Shooting Products, tell him what you want to do and follow his advice.

Good luck!

Yes, neck turning! My mistake. I picked up an A&D fx-120i scale. Havent had a chance to put it to use yet.

wait till you start weighing your brass :D
And projectiles.

Or measuring each projectile and sorting them by weight and dimensions!

Or, breaking that one or two bits of extruded powder by hand for that ever exact weight.

The rabbit hole is pretty deep.

:(

:)

Also, depending on if you are brand specific or not, it isn't too expensive to get into. A K&M turner and pilot should only run you about $60-$70.

As mentioned, neck turning is just the start. You'll need to do a lot of other things to really see the benefits of it.

Another way to go about it is to buy a large amount of brass and just segregate it by neck thickness runout. This will save you the time of turning all of the case necks and help you achieve the same results.

And yes, weighing the brass, deburring the flash hole, annealing the brass, trimming all to the exact same length, etc, etc, etc :D

Unless your brass has uneven necks, or you have a rifle with a tight chamber, probably won't make any difference.

Better off doing what dizzy said, just sort out any bad necks.

And projectiles.

Or measuring each projectile and sorting them by weight and dimensions!

Or, breaking that one or two bits of extruded powder by hand for that ever exact weight.

The rabbit hole is pretty deep.

:(

:)
lol yea mmm hmmmm 168 grain hmmmmm sierra you are off with a low of 165 to 171 on the match kings :D

"Neck Trimming"? Yeah, I do it. I've got more hair on my neck than I do on top of my head. Looks weird if I don't trim. :s0131:

Don't forget to trim your eyebrows, and pluck your nose and ear hairs too.
The whole point is consistency. :D

Forget? Those damned eyebrows grow some wild ones. Not all of them mind you, just a few. Sneak up on me and grab into the eye lashes. Drives me nuts!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top