JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Is trimming case necks worth the hassle?

• Yes

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters
Forget? Those damned eyebrows grow some wild ones. Not all of them mind you, just a few. Sneak up on me and grab into the eye lashes. Drives me nuts!
:s0140:
Yeah, I don't I know. Had one that grew to two inches. :eek:
Couldn't get my eye to the ocular properly, really affected my accuracy. :rolleyes:

Trimming is necessary!
[shorten that] Trim is necessary !! :D

I recently picked up a set of neck sizing dies for 300WinMag, and I'm also contemplating the need for neck turning. I'm hoping that if I sort my rifle's 1X by headstamp, that'll be enough to get started.

I recently picked up a set of neck sizing dies for 300WinMag, and I'm also contemplating the need for neck turning. I'm hoping that if I sort my rifle's 1X by headstamp, that'll be enough to get started.
You might want to sort by neck thickness too then, otherwise you're going to get varying neck tension, especially if you're not pulling a ball or mandrel back through the neck to get a consistent ID.

Is it for shooting at game, or for score? There are so many things to do to get better accuracy, before resorting to neck turning. If it's a custom barrel with a tight chamber, maybe so, but if it's off the rack, doubt you will see a difference from neck turning. I am forced to, forming LC 5.56 to .20VT, with a .232 chamber. Total PIA after you've done several thousand... and now have THREE. That said, it (they) are the most accurate thing I've ever had in my hands.

Is it for shooting at game, or for score?

Extreme long range targets. Hoping to shoot all the way to transonic, and maybe a bit past. Rifle has a custom barrel, but haven't got it back from the gunsmith yet, so I'm not certain yet about how tight the chamber will be. My plan is to FL size a batch of matching headstamps, experiment with a few powders, then neck size and test the most promising propellants. After I pick a powder with good velocity and velocity flat spots, I'll experiment with seating depth.

It would be nice to see a Litz styled test write up for this... In the edition I have he tested for velocity spread where neck tension was the variable. A 243 would benefit by a worthy amount where as a 308 and 223 showed no change in spread between tight and loose neck tension, it depended on the shape of the cartridge. In theory (my theory) neck wall thickness and it's uniformity depends on a lot of other variables as you guys are talking about, how tight of a fit is it in your chamber? What cartridge? Do you know the dimensions of your chamber, specifically the neck? I do not think it's worth the time for most shooters. I'd worry about sorting brass based off of capacity, getting exact charge weights uniform, seating bullet "proper" length, etc. What accuracy are you getting now? I just went out shooting with Goosebrown and several others and they're shooting groups I can cover with my hands basically at 600 yards and I doubt all of them are performing that operation every time. Maybe if you've reached a plateau in accuracy at 600+ yards and want to see what else can be done... Or if you have the time and want to do things the "right way" and make 1 change at a time while controlling what variables you can.

Depends. Handgun? Rifle? Match/target loads? Defensive loads? Plinking? Misfires? Chambering problems?

No one-size-fits-all answer, but SAAMI specs are there for a reason.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top