JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ive got a handload for my 6.5 Grendel but I'm finding the neck tension is lacking, about .001". I'm having to crimp to help control COAL when chambering in a semi auto.
I'm using a Hornady "Custom Grade" full length sizing die. They use an elliptical expander. I searched their website for spares or different expander sizes and cant find anything to buy.

2 questions:
What would be the best ideal way to control neck tension?
Is there something I can do with the Hornady die to control neck tension?

1693354713426.png

Buy an rcbs or Redding instead? Dunno man, the only time I've had a neck tension issue was also with a Hornady die so I'm here for answers, too

Size without the expander and run a mandrel down through it.

You can polish the mandrel down if you need to (if it's steel).

You can polish carbide too but you'll need some diamond lapping compound and it'll take awhile.

Size without the expander and run a mandrel down through it.

You can polish the mandrel down if you need to (if it's steel).

You can polish carbide too but you'll need some diamond lapping compound and it'll take awhile.
I think I will try polishing the expander mandrel but Id like to buy a replacement first, I have an email sent to Hornaday. Its frustrating they dont sell parts on their website.

Ive got a handload for my 6.5 Grendel but I'm finding the neck tension is lacking, about .001". I'm having to crimp to help control COAL when chambering in a semi auto.
I'm using a Hornady "Custom Grade" full length sizing die. They use an elliptical expander. I searched their website for spares or different expander sizes and cant find anything to buy.

2 questions:

View attachment 1478560

Anneal regularly . Use a Body size only Die , then, use a Neck size only Die w/Neck Bushing .

2 questions:

View attachment 1478560
@v0lcom13sn0w is a 6.5G geek, maybe he has some suggestions?

Try looking at Wilson custom dies. They work differently but they're the bomb. You should also turn your necks you will never get less than .002 or more if your necks have not been turned no matter what the quality die.

Then expand with the mandrel as stated above. KM has mandrel by the .001 I believe.

Good luck

Never ever crimp.

How much is oal growing when chambered? It is almost impossible to keep it from growing a few thou without negatively affecting accuracy with high neck tension or herculean crimp. Is brass annealed? If you are using annealed brass and neck tension is still lacking, I would try a lee collet neck sizing die. If that doesn't solve it, then lee does make a undersize mandrel to go in their collet die. If rounds measure under .005 growth after chambering and accuracy is good, I probably would just seat bullets slightly deeper and not worry about it.

How much is oal growing when chambered? It is almost impossible to keep it from growing a few thou without negatively affecting accuracy with high neck tension or herculean crimp. Is brass annealed? If you are using annealed brass and neck tension is still lacking, I would try a lee collet neck sizing die. If that doesn't solve it, then lee does make a undersize mandrel to go in their collet die. If rounds measure under .005 growth after chambering and accuracy is good, I probably would just seat bullets slightly deeper and not worry about it.
Id have to remeasure again but iirc a couple thou, randomly. I anneal every time.
I went thru this with my 223 handload except there the neck tension was a normal .003", and cleaning the case lube from the neck inside and a light crimp solved the problem.
I test expecting 5 chamberings min without any movement and call it good. The Grendel wont pass 5 and I feel i narrowed it down to its weak neck tension (.001").

I heard back from Hornady and they are sending me a free expander. So im going to try to modify my current one per above and turn it down to increase neck tension to about .003... maybe .004 for good measure.

When you turn them down its easy to remove material and hard to put it back. I would be looking at taking .001 at a time till you are happy. I polished mine down with 1000 grit sandpaper. And the fine polish made them glide through the neck. I had to get used to a new feel. DR

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top