JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I remember Iraqiveteran1234 on youtube pounded a bolt into the barrel of a hoseclamped shut 9mm hipoint pistol and then repeatedly touched off blue pill proof loads with no ill results.
I wouldn't worry about it.

Bullets sticking in the case mouth is similar to cases sticking on the case expander. Usually happens when the brass is clean with no contaminates. Basically the static friction is much higher when the brass and copper (or steel) is clean verses fouled with carbon or media dust. The kinetic friction may not have changed enough to notice when seating so people may think this sticking is happening over time.

The only concern with this sticking is if you change your processes with loads running near max pressures. Residual dry media dust or carbon will allow the bullet to release from the case easily. If wet cleaning the brass cause the bullet to hold at the case more, the pressure will be higher at bullet release. That effect the peak pressure and cause it to be higher. The prevention of having pressure problems from this is to rework up hot loads if you change your loading processes.

Bullets sticking in the case mouth is similar to cases sticking on the case expander. Usually happens when the brass is clean with no contaminates. Basically the static friction is much higher when the brass and copper (or steel) is clean verses fouled with carbon or media dust. The kinetic friction may not have changed enough to notice when seating so people may think this sticking is happening over time.

The only concern with this sticking is if you change your processes with loads running near max pressures. Residual dry media dust or carbon will allow the bullet to release from the case easily. If wet cleaning the brass cause the bullet to hold at the case more, the pressure will be higher at bullet release. That effect the peak pressure and cause it to be higher. The prevention of having pressure problems from this is to rework up hot loads if you change your loading processes.
I have heard arguments along the same lines about removing wax, lube, etc. from prepped brass before loading.
And I think you are right, if you have successful loads that are near top end, work back up if you make changes. DR

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top