JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Interesting that FN claims to have designed the 7.62x51 and 5.56x45 in the press release. Wonder if Winchester and Remington know this?

Interesting that FN claims to have designed the 7.62x51 and 5.56x45 in the press release. Wonder if Winchester and Remington know this?
FN did actually create the 5.56x45mm in the '70's, using the .223 Rem as the parent case.

The 308/7.62x51 is a bit more convoluted. FN developed the 7.62x51 from the .300 Savage, with quite a few revisions before it was introduced then NATOized. At the same general time, Winchester created the .308 Winchester for the sporting market, using one of the 7.62x51 case revisions.

They are technically correct in the PR.

Is this like when comic book movies went mainstream, bigtime? And all the nerdy dudes who were into DC and Marvel felt vindicated and cool?

I'm ribbing you of course

FN must have a massive amount of 40yr old virgins working for them from their moms' basements.

FN now owns Winchester.
The U.S. Repeating Arms Company went defunct in 1989, with the rights to the Winchester name first purchased by a French holding company and then by FN Herstal. The New Haven plant was closed on 31 March 2006 after 140 years of producing arms and has since been converted into a residential area.

I think FN feels that owning Winchester gives them the rights to these claims.

And if you google who developed the 5.56 round, this is the response

FN Herstal

The 5.56×45mm NATO (official NATO nomenclature 5.56 NATO, fyv-FYV-six) is a rimless bottlenecked intermediate cartridge family developed in the late 1970s in Belgium by FN Herstal

FN now owns Winchester.
The U.S. Repeating Arms Company went defunct in 1989, with the rights to the Winchester name first purchased by a French holding company and then by FN Herstal. The New Haven plant was closed on 31 March 2006 after 140 years of producing arms and has since been converted into a residential area.

I think FN feels that owning Winchester gives them the rights to these claims.

And if you google who developed the 5.56 round, this is the response

FN Herstal

The 5.56×45mm NATO (official NATO nomenclature 5.56 NATO, fyv-FYV-six) is a rimless bottlenecked intermediate cartridge family developed in the late 1970s in Belgium by FN Herstal
Olin owns Winchester Ammunition.

FN Owns Winchester Arms (US Repeating Arms).

thats-nonsense-i-invented-electricity-ben-franklin-is-the-devil.jpg

Some history of the development of the T65 family of cartridges at Frankford Arsenal.

Here are the versions FN designed for Belgium, that were adopted by NATO.

Bruce

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews